Why become a member? ×

Energy, or lack of

chris_b

We get a very powerful ( IMO ) finish through our drummer and am torn between the nice balance and groove as I see/hear/feel it
in the first set with a real step up in energy and power in the second.
With this goes the volume and control that I would really like to keep but the finish is so good, that is the trade-off.
We are still trying to manage it better..but we really can't complain about the response the finish can get... so who is right in this..?

Band quandry for us...

It bugs me when people don't move around when they're playing if the music is lively enough to warrant it. I'm not a fan of screamo stuff as much any more, but I caught a band the other day who I thought "this would be pretty good if the players didn't look like they were bored". They could have turned a lifeless but loud set into one of full-on, balls out energy and aggression that you'd have to admire regardless of whether you like the music or not. THAT'S the difference. Apathy on stage gets right on my tits. People can't see how much you're enjoying it unless you SHOW them. Then they're much more likely to enjoy your set just as much.

That's how I feel anyway. If no other reason, I move around because it's fun. On more than one occasion I've had to finish a song on my back after falling on my arse.

[quote name='burray' post='1173431' date='Mar 23 2011, 03:38 PM']It bugs me when people don't move around when they're playing if the music is lively enough to warrant it. I'm not a fan of screamo stuff as much any more, but I caught a band the other day who I thought "this would be pretty good if the players didn't look like they were bored". They could have turned a lifeless but loud set into one of full-on, balls out energy and aggression that you'd have to admire regardless of whether you like the music or not. THAT'S the difference. Apathy on stage gets right on my tits. People can't see how much you're enjoying it unless you SHOW them. Then they're much more likely to enjoy your set just as much.[/quote]

yep agreed. we always make a lot of effort with moving about and being lively on stage - even if its not the greatest gig. Even when not firing on all cylinders we are much more energetic than most other bands round here. Admittedly its sometimes a pain though as people now expect it from us even if i'm feeling ill or whatever.
We did a gig in a bog standard pub at the weekend and had a couple of people come up afterwards and say that even though they didn't know any of the songs they were really entertained which they perhaps wouldn't have been if we'd just stood there shoe gazing, so thats all good.

peace

c

I need our front man to rein it in a bit. He looks like he's run a marathon by the end of the set. We've had to do one song encores at long set gigs because he can't physically manage any more.
Bands don't have to jump about all over the place for me as long as they engage with the audience and look like they're enjoying what they're doing.
Seen a lot of miserable bands where it's like they haven't noticed you turning up at their rehearsal.

Aren't we confusing energy in the music with running around like a demented lemon.
Not at all the same thing, IMO.

Our biggest failing, IMV, would be lack of real banter with an audience, consistantly.. but I think it safe to say we really connect at the end of the show, IMO.
I would love us to have both but I'll setlle 99 times out of a 100 for the way we can finish and this is the right way round, AFAICS...
We know a pretty popular band round here who never have to finish a song as it is all singalongs and audience partations.. That works great once when you see them..but must be a bit tiring after a while.

But sure, on this level you don't have it all..great frontmen that can sing... or someone who can whip an audience up..which is itself a talent, but struggles ( relatively ) to hold a note.
Sooner or later, the lattter will kill a gig

It is a difficult balance to get.

Most pub & club gigs haven't the space to move much; whether it's a proper stage or the bog standard bit of tape on the floor marking off the end of the bar area.
But if you do have a big stage to fill, first thing you gotta do is get yourself a 150ft guitar lead. As in

God bless his soul he didn't recognise Chuck Leavell. FF to 5:20 if you just want to see the moving around & check out the roadie feeding the cord along as Albert climbs the steps.
The clip is mis-titled, he didn't do "Travelling South" at Seville, this is my fave Albert Collins song, "Put Your Shoe On The Other Foot".

[quote name='chris_b' post='1173232' date='Mar 23 2011, 01:15 PM']I find that the lack of energy (not the jumping about kind) in so many gigs/performances these days is really frustrating.

This is an old clip of Gladys Knight but the band really fizzes!!

[/quote]

That drummer is taking the piss in 'Midnight Train to Georgia'!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1173668' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:53 PM']They're all taking the piss. More is more but less is best. :)[/quote]

We often sit around in our band and have a laugh with players like that, obvious chops and everything are impressive. But man, I couldn't imagine working with a drummer that can't sit in one spot for more than a few bars, I'd want to kill him!

[quote name='risingson' post='1173671' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:57 PM']But man, I couldn't imagine working with a drummer that can't sit in one spot for more than a few bars, I'd want to kill him![/quote]

Would you say that that drummer was possibly at the wrong gig?

cue youtube post that I can't bring myself to make....

In my last band, the singer was very into the moving about, and, if the stage was large enough, I would as well (usually my headstock was right up against a wall, so moving not applicable). The guitarist, as he used a lot of effects, was usually rooted at his pedal-board, so not able to shift about too much. But we made a point of always making eye contact with the audience, and looking like we were enjoying the gigs (which we were).

I`ve never liked watching shoe-gazers, as said all the way through this subject, its about entertainment, some kindof performance should be attempted, even if its only looking like your enjoying yourself. How can you expect the audience to get into your music, if you look like you don`t want to be there yourself? Edit - he says looking like the most miserable s*d in the world in his avatar!

Edited by Lozz196

Not sure about having to really move around but yes, a band must put in that little something extra to make a live show work. I saw Van Morrison in Marlay Park just outside of Dublin - re-arranged venue due to the original show (closer to town) being flooded - typical July "soft" weather. Not great crowd, and a lot there were more into the more Celtic side of Van whereas the show was a full on RnB set. The band and Van were amazing, the show really buzzed despite a muted response from the crowd. Saw him 3 weeks later, same band, same set at the Bishopstock Blues Festival - audience really into it but a real "going through the motions" feel to the set. Not a note out of place but it just didn't have the same buzz as Dublin.

I see your Gladys Knight and raise you The Mars Volta. From 1:40 or 4:00.

Five times I've seen TMV play live, and four of those times I've witnessed women in the crowd fainting from the intensity of performance/tightness of trousers/overwhelming incomprehensibleness of the music.