Why become a member? ×

A Custom Build Gibson...

Bankai

I have sent a message to Gibson asking for a quote etc. for a custom version of their Thunderbird.

Should I be expecting:
a) to be messed around endlessly
b) wait >9000 years
c) pay an extortionate amount
d) all of the above

:)

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='cocco' post='1161137' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:19 PM']I know a guy who has a custom T-bird, Gibson refused to put their TRC on it because he's not an endorsee.[/quote]

Same sort of thing, a mate has a custom-made Warwick, but they also refused to put their name on it, as it`s not a model they usually make, and he`s not endorsed by them.

My vote, re the original question is for D.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1164137' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:00 AM']Better not let Neepheid hear you say that. :)[/quote]

Meh, each to their own. On the strength of their current bass output, I'd be inclined to agree. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I find their current output a load of uninspiring, insipid tosh made up of diluted past glories and strange, bastardised reissues which capture little of the flavour or spirit of the models they are meant to be descended from.

I also curse them for the creation (and continued use) of the abomination which is the three point bridge.

Having said that - if you're having a pop at Gibson's most fertile and creative period in the bass world (70s and 80s) then [url="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=square%20go"]square go[/url] :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1164114' date='Mar 16 2011, 10:38 AM']Same sort of thing, a mate has a custom-made Warwick, but they also refused to put their name on it, as it`s not a model they usually make, and he`s not endorsed by them.[/quote]

Seriously?! Can't understand the logic behind that.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1183585' date='Mar 31 2011, 05:21 PM']I much prefer the headstock on the lull.

How much they go for?[/quote]
Actually the headstock and the bolt-on neck (IMO upper fret access on a bolt-on is always going to be poorer when compared to a good set neck or neck through construction) are the two things that put me off ordering one without trying first.

I believe prices start at around $3000 for a single pickup 4-string.