Why become a member? ×

Versatile yet classic bass?

Beedster

I see you have a thread up on Stringrays so maybe you've settled your mind on that but...... I'll still chime in for the G&L L2000. The Tribute versions (Which I have) have a neck that is closer to P dimensions than Jazz which should suit you.

The variety of sounds is amazing and should cover everything you throw at it. They are solidly built, high quality basses and great value for the price, especially used.

I see there's a lovely US L2000 for sale on here at the moment which is worth every penny of the asking price. It's identical in looks to mine and would have sorely tempted me if I didn't already have the Tribute version. Even so, in better economic times, I might have bought it anyway. :)

Good luck in your search.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1153082' date='Mar 7 2011, 09:59 PM']I see you have a thread up on Stringrays so maybe you've settled your mind on that but...... I'll still chime in for the G&L L2000. The Tribute versions (Which I have) have a neck that is closer to P dimensions than Jazz which should suit you.

The variety of sounds is amazing and should cover everything you throw at it. They are solidly built, high quality basses and great value for the price, especially used.

I see there's a lovely US L2000 for sale on here at the moment which is worth every penny of the asking price. It's identical in looks to mine and would have sorely tempted me if I didn't already have the Tribute version. Even so, in better economic times, I might have bought it anyway. :)

Good luck in your search.

Frank.[/quote]

Hi Frank

Thanks for your post. To be honest, I haven't decided on anything and the gig needs to be confirmed before I buy whatever I choose. My gut instinct is towards a 'ray not because I think it's necessarily a better choice, but because I'm familiar with them. I know that I get on with the necks, I like the tone out of the box, and love the looks. I was bought up playing Satellite and Columbus basses in the '70's, and I remember seeing the first Musicman ad in about '76. I just couldn't take my eyes of this exotic and, although it sounds odd now, really contemporary-styled monster! When I finally got my hands on one many years later, having played mostly Precisions, the contrast was huge, way more than was the case with Jazzes. It just seemed to be able to do everything. Anyway, I won't go on, but suffice to say I think there's a little nostalgia in my current thinking, and that's also helped along a little by the fact that there are both an HH and an HS for sale close to me.

Apologies for not replying to all of the above posts guys, there's some really helpful info in there (I really did laugh at the idea of the Urge, as I'd completely forgotten having posted in that very FS that it is probably the solution to the exact problem I'm now facing).

Now get over to the other thread and tell me what you think of 'ray PUP options [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126165&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126165&hl=[/url]

Currently a tie between H and HS :)

Never played a Sabre but Id be tempted to stick with the design of the modern Ray double pickup basses. Ive heard the controls on the Sabres are a little odd.

Im the same as you with regards to 'wanting a Ray' back in the day. Then I got one and it really did blow my mind how amazingly individual it sounded, perfect construction, etc.

Rays are not in fashion at the moment, but Ive noticed them becoming more and more popular again.

A P is what I grew up on, but the Ray is 'my sound' if I had to choose one, then P, then J.

Plus a Ray with flats is brilliant. Still cuts through but more subtle.

Im also in agreement with the rosewood board, which is against the 'grain' (hahah!) of the norm....everyone associates Rays with maple but I am more at home with rosewood.

I like the sound of G&L basses, and ive tested a few, but its not the Musicman tone...it never will be, (and vice versa!).

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='razze06' post='1151752' date='Mar 6 2011, 06:54 PM']Have you considered a peavey T40? With all the controls and coil switching and all the other knobs it can do a dazzling array of sounds.
Neck is a lot bigger than typical jazz, and the styling is certainly not very modern...[/quote]

+1

People seem to forget/don't know how much variety the T-40 can get in terms of tone :) There have a been a couple for sale on here recently too...

[quote name='Beedster' post='1153189' date='Mar 7 2011, 11:24 PM']Hi Frank
I was bought up playing Satellite and Columbus basses in the '70's, and I remember seeing the first Musicman ad in about '76. I just couldn't take my eyes of this exotic and, although it sounds odd now, really contemporary-styled monster! When I finally got my hands on one many years later, having played mostly Precisions, the contrast was huge, way more than was the case with Jazzes.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I also remember seeing my first Stingray in a music shop in Belfast. It must have been in 1976 or early 1977 because I was married in 1977 and couldn't afford to go into music shops after that. :)

I instantly hated the looks, mainly that awful round pickguard and I still struggle to like the looks to this day. Consequently I've never owned a Stringray but someday I might only because of the sound - not the looks.

Only thing is, I might be disappointed if my Stringray couldn't do a G&L L2000 sound. :)

Frank.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1154272' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:58 PM']OK guys, here's the left-field question

I like vintage
I like MM
I like HH

Should I be thinking about a Sabre?[/quote]

Just so happens this one is for sale: basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=94845&hl=Sabre

It's also in Essex - not so far away from you - maybe you could go and check it out to see if it ticks your boxes. :)

[quote name='merello' post='1151839' date='Mar 6 2011, 08:17 PM']If it's only a back up, buy a Steinberger Spirit and stick it down your trousers beside your [i]ferret[/i].[/quote]

Crikey... were you by any chance referring to [i]Winky, the milk-spitting tunnel ferret[/i]?

[url="http://www.gregology.net/Reference/Dicktionary"]http://www.gregology.net/Reference/Dicktionary[/url]

Edited by discreet

If this function band is operating properly you won't have time between numbers to change instruments so my view is that you'll also only need one bass. I guess you'll also only be using one amp? Any 2 pickup bass would be the most versatile and for that and the reliability you need, I'd choose a Lakland. No surprises there then!!

My second choice would be an Overwater 5 string J bass. I believe there is one for sale here at the moment.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1156331' date='Mar 10 2011, 10:24 AM']If this function band is operating properly you won't have time between numbers to change instruments so my view is that you'll also only need one bass. I guess you'll also only be using one amp? Any 2 pickup bass would be the most versatile and for that and the reliability you need, I'd choose a Lakland. No surprises there then!!

My second choice would be an Overwater 5 string J bass. I believe there is one for sale here at the moment.[/quote]

Cheers Chris

I'm only going to use one bass, but it needs to be versatile, I don't want to have to swap on stage.

Anyway, I er, I think I may have made up my mind........

[quote name='JTUK' post='1157489' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:02 AM']But that Ovewater J5 was a looker.

After seeing my mates bass at the Cricketers, I like the build quality.
If you get that gig, then that would cover it..lovely sound with flats.

And I am not a flats person, normally.[/quote]

Gig is mine, bass is mine, and you're spot on JT, flats on a'ray is about as sweet a tone you can get (on something that isn't a precision)!

C

[quote name='JTUK' post='1157499' date='Mar 11 2011, 12:14 AM']Well done on the gig..keep me posted how it shapes up.

Who are they, btw..? anyone I know..?[/quote]

Cheers JT, it's been an up and down week as I walked away from one gig and into another (the Jazz thing went a bit strange). The new one isn't local though, so could still present problems of its own.

Let me know when you're in my part of the world next

C

• 2 weeks later...

So, I bought this......

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200585229348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_997"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...IT#ht_500wt_997[/url]

And it has totally renewed my love for Stingrays. It is everything my 1978 'ray was in terms of build quality, feel, and tone, but the extra PUP makes SOOOOOOO much difference; I simply cannot see why anyone would choose a H over an HH? The roasted maple neck and ebony board are a dream to play also.

It arrived with a set of EB rounds which lasted about 30 seconds; the La Bella flats it's currently wearing just suit this bass so well.

Can't wait to gig it :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1151769' date='Mar 6 2011, 07:02 PM']:)

That's right Pete, the two pups occupy some of each other's space so the best solution (and to retain the most authenticity) is to reverse the P keeping the the E/A side in it's original spot. It actually seems a better solution to me (scientifically as well as tonally) as you can ping a nice harmonic over each pole piece in the reversed P but it is discordant over the D/G part in the original position.

The result is quite literally 2 distinct basses in one.

This is the reasining behind why I suggested the Sandberg earlier (to get the 2 bass tones from one bass)... although their emphasis seems to have been with keeping the P in the original position and placing the MM pup where it looks nice. :)[/quote]

Now that is a beautiful and intellectually exciting beast...

Nice one beedster and welcome back to Ray ownership :) I only like rear parallel on my Rays but I don't have an issue with anyone having the extra pup, I still prefer the look of one pup though. I'm getting flats on a ray gas now it should be the pre eb really but it's more likely to be the 2002. Looking forward to hearing the after gig review :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1175383' date='Mar 24 2011, 11:11 PM']So, I bought this......

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200585229348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_997"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...IT#ht_500wt_997[/url]

And it has totally renewed my love for Stingrays. It is everything my 1978 'ray was in terms of build quality, feel, and tone, but the extra PUP makes SOOOOOOO much difference; I simply cannot see why anyone would choose a H over an HH? The roasted maple neck and ebony board are a dream to play also.[/quote]

Good experience with the sale Beedster? Had an eye on a very nice mint green Classic 'Ray from the same guy, however was a bit wary of dealing with a seller from US West Coast. You got a great deal with that price anyway, the roasted necks are very appealing on the old visual front, marketing and technical claims aside. Would love to see one in an all maple set-up, although ebony is a great combo with the body, none more black....well except this maybe ---> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-Musicman-STINGRAY-4-HH-BASS-STEALTH-BLACK-ALL-OVER-/290545601657?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a5de0c79"]StealthRay[/url]

Edited by MattM

[quote name='MattM' post='1175625' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:33 AM']Good experience with the sale Beedster? Had an eye on a very nice mint green Classic 'Ray from the same guy, however was a bit wary of dealing with a seller from US West Coast. You got a great deal with that price anyway, the roasted necks are very appealing on the old visual front, marketing and technical claims aside. Would love to see one in an all maple set-up, although ebony is a great combo with the body, none more black....well except this maybe ---> [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-Musicman-STINGRAY-4-HH-BASS-STEALTH-BLACK-ALL-OVER-/290545601657?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a5de0c79"]StealthRay[/url][/quote]

Very good Matt, thanks. I can highly recommend the seller. I had a bad experience buying a bass from the US five years ago and wasn't going to go there again, so I did my homework. I would have preferred to buy from the UK for sure, but I couldn't find the exact spec I wanted (I love black/black and LOVE ebony boards), so I started scouring ebay.com. Ray's are very cheap in the US at present compared to the UK. I asked the seller a lot of questions ahead of buying and he came back quickly each time. The bass was despatched about 2 hours after I paid (I had an 'Item Collected' email from UPS) and arrived 4 working days later. The great thing about UPS is that they deliver in person and you pay the driver, as opposed to the lengthy process via Parcelforce that is the end point of many other US couriers.