Why become a member? ×

Need help! What fingerboard wood for my Shuker Custom?

Mike

[font="Verdana"]Hi all!

I'm wondering if you fine people can suggest a nice fingerboard wood from my upcoming custom. It's built by Jon Shuker ([url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk"]www.shukerguitars.co.uk[/url]).

It's going to a 5 string Jazz, designed to pretty much match my first 4 string he built me - shown here!

My five string will be made of the same woods, but have a red finish, with matching headstock. I will have pearl block inlays as well.

My question is this: What wood shall I use for the fingerboard?

I'm looking for something quite dark, but with a really interesting grain/figure to it. Ideally it will have some red mixed in, to match, but NOT overpower the red finish!

I have considered Macassar, Ziricote and Bocate, all of which look tremendous.

Can you give me your thoughts on these three, pros and cons, and any other suggestions you may have, ideally supported by pictures?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Mike[/font]

Edited by Mike

ooooh... i'd need to see some wood pics!! lol. Has Jon got any pieces in stock? There maybe one with a particularly nice grain that may stand out over the others.

I had the choice of picking what slice of Birdseye I wanted for my 7er.. there were some pieces that had few 'eyes' and others that looked like a bad case of acne lol!

The warmest sounding to counter the paint/lacquer a bit(the 1st 2 pieces of rosewood look nice) If it was me though,it'd be a plain ebony fretless board!!(not impregnated)

[quote name='Johngh' post='131912' date='Feb 1 2008, 01:25 PM']Well, I know its not dark, but I aways like Birdseye maple, it looks great. Jon told me he doesn't like using ebony unless he's the customer says there is no chice.
This was afater I had "issues" with the ebony board on the Sei I had that Jon had to sort out.[/quote]