Why become a member? ×

'71 Fender P/J

Clarky

I recently bought Beedster's '71 fretless but, having a Tony Franklin fretless already, thought it would be great to to pair the '71 with it as a fretted bass. Inspired by the new Fender 2011 Custom Shop P/J hybrid I have put on a Fender 70s RI block/bound J neck plus an original 1971 Fender bridge (courtesy of SiBob). Would be preferable if the headstock were aged (and had an early 70s Precision logo) but can't have everything.

Heres the rather pricey (at £2.5k) Fender CS inspiration:

[attachment=73930:lrg_0157410_890.png]

And here's my one:

[attachment=73918:P1040057.JPG][attachment=73919:P1040058.JPG]

Edited by Clarky

Very nice!

As you say it would be topped off if it had an appropriate aged headstock but play it for the next 30 years and it should just about get there... just as the body falls to pieces and you have to change that (Trigger's broom anyone :) ).

So what happens to the RI body that the neck came off? :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1150277' date='Mar 5 2011, 08:39 AM']So what happens to the RI body that the neck came off? :)[/quote]
I bought the neck off eBay from that US parts seller that splits up current Fenders and sells them piecemeal. Not cheap, with import tax, but was still cheaper than assembling something similar from Allparts or Warmoth

[quote name='gary mac' post='1150287' date='Mar 5 2011, 08:55 AM']That's handsome Clarky, are you planning to gig it?[/quote]
I would definitely gig it as first choice but my current band only requires double bass. I need to see if I can find a second, electric gig

Been in the hands of a few BC-er's this one (in fretless guise); originally Bassbod's for years and years, then Walbassist's, then mine, then Beedsters. A lovely, lightweight, resonant bass.

I wasn't expecting to like it with the Jazz neck, but have to say it looks absolutely superb - the rosewood just right, and the neck binding continues into the pickguard edging in an aesthetically really pleasing way. Bet it plays well too.

Nice one! ([i]nostalgic sniff[/i]! :) )

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1150368' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:46 AM']Been in the hands of a few BC-er's this one (in fretless guise); originally Bassbod's for years and years, then Walbassist's, then mine, then Beedsters. A lovely, lightweight, resonant bass.

I wasn't expecting to like it with the Jazz neck, but have to say it looks absolutely superb - the rosewood just right, and the neck binding continues into the pickguard edging in an aesthetically really pleasing way. Bet it plays well too.

Nice one! ([i]nostalgic sniff[/i]! :) )[/quote]

Definitely the best bass I've owned in terms of weight, overall tone and playability. If it's got half the sustain and growl with the fretted neck as it has fretless, it'll still be an outstanding instrument.

Hope you're well Greg?

C

PS the only reason I let the fretless go was that I was increasingly aware that, recorded, I could get very similar tones from my Yamaha EUB, and that on the basis that DB is where both my gigs are now, it simply seemed more sense to use the EUB if the situation called for classic fretless tone. As Clarky will tell you though, I had a couple of 'moments' during the trade!

[quote name='Shaggy' post='1150368' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:46 AM']Been in the hands of a few BC-er's this one (in fretless guise); originally Bassbod's for years and years, then Walbassist's, then mine, then Beedsters. A lovely, lightweight, resonant bass.

Nice one! ([i]nostalgic sniff[/i]! :) )[/quote]
Thanks Greg. Re: aesthetics, if only there was a way to accelerate the aging process for the headstock (which is too pale by comparison) it would look perfect. Don't suppose I can pour coffee on it :) Incidentally it does play wonderfully well - it has Pyramid flats on and has very low action.

Bassbod: should I finally get hold of the 63P I have long coveted, I will probably put this back to fretless and sell the Tony Franklin.

Edited by Clarky

Umm...for a few weeks I had a Brandoni fretted Jbass neck on that bass. Worked well, but felt soooo wrong! I won't mention the EMG, Schaller or badass stuff either. And sorry about the cavity in the back...it was about 1989 and it just didn't seem to matter at the time. :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='1150384' date='Mar 5 2011, 11:08 AM']Umm...for a few weeks I had a Brandoni fretted Jbass neck on that bass. Worked well, but felt soooo wrong! I won't mention the EMG, Schaller or badass stuff either. And sorry about the cavity in the back...it was about 1989 and it just didn't seem to matter at the time. :)[/quote]
Well the pickups and badass are gone, the latter replaced by a genuine period replacement (the pickups were replaced by Shaggy and are SD vintage P and Fralin J I think). I really don't care as its a true player's bass and drips with character. S'why if I have to make the choice between this and Tony Franklin as my fretless, the latter loses out, no contest even though its a gorgeous bass in its own right (I only ended up with the TF as Beedster had one of the 'moments' he referred to above just as we were about to do the deal a couple of months back!!!!)

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Beedster' post='1150370' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:51 AM']Hope you're well Greg?

C

PS the only reason I let the fretless go was that I was increasingly aware that, recorded, I could get very similar tones from my Yamaha EUB, and that on the basis that DB is where both my gigs are now, it simply seemed more sense to use the EUB if the situation called for classic fretless tone. As Clarky will tell you though, I had a couple of 'moments' during the trade![/quote]

Good thanks mate, almost GAS-free these days! Hope the EUB and studio projects are going well.

I'm actually about to put your old '78 fretless maple P neck back onto the '79 body in place of the CIJ fretted rosewood one currently in situ (also courtesy of Beedster's "Vintage Fenders 'R Us Emporium"...... :lol: ), using Status or D'Addario half-rounds, as I've tried and tried but just can't get on with flats!

Yes, Clarky said you hummed and hah-ed a bit, but hey, by your standards the '71 semi-qualified as a "keeper"! :D

[quote name='Clarky' post='1150379' date='Mar 5 2011, 10:57 AM']Thanks Greg. Re: aesthetics, if only there was a way to accelerate the aging process for the headstock (which is too pale by comparison) it would look perfect. Don't suppose I can pour coffee on it :)[/quote]

There's a trader on ebay who supplies cans of aerosol nitrocellulose lacquer for around £12 a can, one tint of which is called "nicotine" and specifically for ageing maple necks - I used it very successfully on an old no-name '60's Euro-crap guit*r I refinned last year. I'll try and dig out the contact details.
People worry about lacquer spraying, but nitro is actually a cinch as it's very thin, the tint is very subtle, idea is to build up layers so there's no dramatic irreversable change and you just stop after a couple of coats when it looks right. (also works on fingers for that "60 Capstan full-strength a day" look...) What makes it look done by a pro is rubbing down with T-cut or a liquid rubbing compund after it's hardened for a week or so - again, a cinch.

Apparently leaving in the sun accelerates the ageing patination too. Holiday in the Bahamas .......... :) ?
[i][Edit; obviously neck only, not the body, or the red in the 3TS will vanish, and become 2TS......][/i]

Edited by Shaggy