Why become a member? ×

I'm in love with my new bass tones !!

xilddx

I now have the most sumptuous, gorgeous, utterly lovely tones from my bass !! I can't tell you how beautiful it feels to want to play every note to its maximum effect. It's making me play differently, more sensitively, more simply. Everything I play feels like what I remember it being like on a lovely mushy trip in the 1980s (probably a bad thing to say, sorry!). I take delight in the simplest things, a simple octave, a grace note, a ghost, a tinkling of harmonics, a simple accent. It's wonderful, like fireworks going off in my head, to paraphrase Blue Oyster Cult. Coupled with the beautiful neck on my new Fender Jap Jazz, I could not be happier!

For the first time, I feel like it's a true reflection of me.

The chain ..

Fender Japan 62RI Jazz, CAR with matched headstock, rosewood dot slab board, American Vintage pickups, Badass II, East J-Retro 01, DR Strings Black Beauties.

POD X3 LIVE - amp model Acoustic 360 with a highish gain setting and the high mids up full, a little compression, a little basic digital chorus.

Want some clips? Give me a few days to get that sorted.

[attachment=73814:01_Track_1.mp3]

28 downloads and one nice comment. I guess most people think my tone is sh*t then :) Seriously all comments are welcome, even if you do think my sound is a pile of poo.

Edited by silddx

I tell you what lads, it feels like sitting in front of a roaring log fire you built yourself from cherry wood, sipping a glass of the finest warm, rich and smoky single malt, and telling your queen you caught a 68lb common carp of the Donald Leney strain from Redmire Pool today, while she smiles at you with deep, lustrous shining eyes.

That's what it feels like.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1146624' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:16 AM']I tell you what lads, it feels like sitting in front of a roaring log fire you built yourself from cherry wood, sipping a glass of the finest warm, rich and smoky single malt, and telling your queen you caught a 68lb common carp of the Donald Leney strain from Redmire Pool today, while she smiles at you with deep, lustrous shining eyes.

That's what it feels like.[/quote]

Umm, are you writing a Mills & Boon novel ?

[quote name='silddx' post='1146636' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:30 AM']What are they mate?[/quote]

Rotosound Pressure Wounds - just add the right amount of umph to the fretless without completely losing all the qualities of flats. (sorry, lame description, one of those you know it when it happens moments)!

That's a cracking looking Jazz BTW, glad it sounds as good as it looks :)

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='charic' post='1146826' date='Mar 2 2011, 10:13 AM']Now taking bets on the for sale thread date :)[/quote]
:) I would never rule that out. But certainly at the moment it would have to be a cracking bass to supercede this one. There's too much magic with this Fender. It has its faults, the action is higher than I like, the nut is cut a bit off, but other than that, there is magic. I even like the colour.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1146791' date='Mar 2 2011, 09:45 AM']Rotosound Pressure Wounds - just add the right amount of umph to the fretless without completely losing all the qualities of flats. (sorry, lame description, one of those you know it when it happens moments)!

That's a cracking looking Jazz BTW, glad it sounds as good as it looks :)[/quote]
I had a feeling it would be Rotos, don't know why. I hate them personally, and Elites, can't stand the way they feel. I love the new Black Beauties with the K3 coating.

[quote name='silddx' post='1146609' date='Mar 2 2011, 12:03 AM']I now have the most sumptuous, gorgeous, utterly lovely tones from my bass !! I can't tell you how beautiful it feels to want to play every note to its maximum effect. It's making me play differently, more sensitively, more simply. Everything I play feels like what I remember it being like on a lovely mushy trip in the 1980s (probably a bad thing to say, sorry!). I take delight in the simplest things, a simple octave, a grace note, a ghost, a tinkling of harmonics, a simple accent. It's wonderful, like fireworks going off in my head, to paraphrase Blue Oyster Cult. Coupled with the beautiful neck on my new Fender Jap Jazz, I could not be happier![/quote]

Good grief...!
What have you been playing the last x amount of years?
A Banjo... :)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='1147053' date='Mar 2 2011, 01:12 PM']Good grief...!
What have you been playing the last x amount of years?
A Banjo... :)

Garry[/quote]
Warwicks, Fender, Jap Squier, Kopo ..

I have good ears for tone, and I know what satisfies them. Very small differences in the timbre and string to string eveness of response can be black and white to me in terms of personal pleasure and satisfaction. The Warwicks were very very close, but this?! This is f***ing amazing tone for me :)

I'll try to get a few little clips up soon.

[quote name='silddx' post='1146913' date='Mar 2 2011, 11:23 AM']I had a feeling it would be Rotos, don't know why. I hate them personally, and Elites, can't stand the way they feel. I love the new Black Beauties with the K3 coating.[/quote]

I've played Elites all my life and I love them. However, everyone has been banging on about how great Rotos sound so I gave them ago and they sound way too nasely and middy. Going back to my Elite Stadium. I also tried those coloured DR strings but found them to deep and muddy.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1147066' date='Mar 2 2011, 01:22 PM']I've played Elites all my life and I love them. However, everyone has been banging on about how great Rotos sound so I gave them ago and they sound way too nasely and middy. Going back to my Elite Stadium. I also tried those coloured DR strings but found them to deep and muddy.[/quote]
Rotos and elites sounded ok for a few days until they got dirty, and dull. They also feel disgusting to me, sticky and abrasive at the same time. The new DR Coated strings seem a lot brighter with the new K3 coating, the previous coating was definitely a little duller sounding, certainly not muddy though.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1147126' date='Mar 2 2011, 02:09 PM']Haha I was just sitting here with with Corvette thinking 'this thing sounds awesome'[/quote]
Tone is a long and expensive journey innit Wayne!

Got your Sterling yet?