Why become a member? ×

New Genz Streamliner 900 in the house!

wateroftyne

[quote name='stinson' post='1208344' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:46 PM']I'll be very interested to see the results with your 1212L.[/quote]

I tend to record all our gigs so if i manage ot get through a song with no mistakes ill post something.

Mustang Sally will never have sounded so good lol.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1208365' date='Apr 22 2011, 03:03 PM']I tend to record all our gigs so if i manage ot get through a song with no mistakes ill post something.

Mustang Sally will never have sounded so good lol.[/quote]

Never looked so forward to hearing Mustang Sally!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1208365' date='Apr 22 2011, 03:03 PM']I tend to record all our gigs so if i manage ot get through a song with no mistakes ill post something.

Mustang Sally will never have sounded so good lol.[/quote]

Hi Dave
I wouldn't mind hearing this too.
I actually quite like hearing Mustang Sally :)

Thanks
Dave

Well i promise no Mustang Sally but i will upload something if i can. Brown eyed girl anyone lol.

Raggy, me too. I know ill really love it once i start using it.
We have to play two Bob Marley songs next sat. First time we would have played them together as a band. Its going to sound pants but I cant wait to whack the low end up, even with my small cab.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='largo' post='1208425' date='Apr 22 2011, 04:06 PM']Now I'm curious, but wonder if it's the Fender Precision "boys" who prefer the sound of these amps? :)[/quote]

I dont think so and the Musicman guys have been using the Genz gear for ages, Just have a look and see how many MM & Genz combinations there are out there in other peoples sig's.

Used Jazz, Warwicks & Overwater fretless 6 and all sound brill.
I haven't even had to change the flat settings yet.
It sounds great just the way it is.
Extremely well balanced across its tonal range from smooth low end to sharp crisp hi end without the rasp of some hi end amps.
This doesn't make you cringe if you ramp up the hi end. Its just nice :)

Tried running with the Gain up and it does have a nice overdriven sound with just enough distortion rather than full-on grunge sound.

Hugely impressed with everything on this amp and cab.

happy twiddling :lol:

Cheers
Dave
:)

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1208884' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:12 AM']....I haven't even had to change the flat settings yet. It sounds great just the way it is....[/quote]
It's a sign of a great amp that it sounds good flat.

I know it's early days, but is anyone finding they have to use a lot of EQ?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1209061' date='Apr 23 2011, 11:52 AM']It's a sign of a great amp that it sounds good flat.

I know it's early days, but is anyone finding they have to use a lot of EQ?[/quote]

Agreed. Could not believe how good it sounded flat. I tend to bump the bass and low mids a little for the Ska and Reggae, but then my NV is a sealed cab so it's a bit tighter in the lows I feel. But I don't use the Streamliners EQ half as much as my previous amps with this cab.

Well considering I nearly always used my MB heads flat I'm hoping the same goes for this.
Saying that I have been using a touch of BDDI but I'm hoping I can drop that.
It's early days but I am very confident that other than a touch of EQ at some of the more difficult gigs I'll be running flat.

Hopefully by the time I've sold my SA450 and BDDI this new head would have cost almost nothing.

Edited by dave_bass5

Depending on the room, I tend to roll the low of to about 10/11 o'clock, and give the low mid a hefty nudge.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1208340' date='Apr 22 2011, 02:41 PM']WoT. I noticed you had the gain button engaged in your videos. Do you find this makes much difference to the tone? I know it will boost the input and i expect ill use it all the time but im just wondering if you use it because it boosts the input or if its to get a bit more dirt out of the amp.[/quote]

Dave - my basses are passive, so I usually engage the gain button to compensate. It'll still run clean with the button in, but it does feel livelier.

For crying out loud, why me?!

This amp sounds great...I really like the mids im getting and the treble is there but not overly clacky.

But, and this is a big but, is anyone else finding the power supply input at the back moves a little?! I was happy playing, then I moved the amp a tiny bit, and it crackled and went off. Then, I tried putting the power lead in as far as it would go, hoping it was merely my error, and it seems even the SLIGHTEST touch to the power lead and it all shuts off and crackles.

Why me indeed! Dont get me wrong, it sounds amazing, SO much bass its unreal! But, Im guessing im in for yet another swap over.

Edited by Musicman20

I'm sitting in front of mine now.

The IEC cable is solid if you try and rock it side-to-side, but it does rock up and down a little (I emphasise it's the cable, *not* the plug). It doesn't cause the amp to go off.

Incidentally, certain cables cause my Promethean to go off if sometimes if I nudge it. A high-quality IEC solved it.

Is the socket actually shifting, or just the plug? Have you tried a chunkier mains cable?

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1146090' date='Mar 1 2011, 06:23 PM']:hyper:

Mark at Bass Direct is a legend... it got here double-quick from the first batch in Europe, I believe.

Just had 20 minutes on it.. obviously it's too early to draw any conclusions, but it sounds glorious so far. The highs are lovely and rich, and I love that 220hz mid control. :)

Two gigs this weekend, so it'll get a decent workout. I'll see how it compares to my RH450 and Promethean...

[/quote]

This is great I think on the head the preamp runs high voltage then to the power section via a little transformer, should be great as the valves are actually working properly haha instead of just being there for show!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1209235' date='Apr 23 2011, 03:23 PM']Tried another, same thing.

The whole section where the lead goes in moves! Away from the chassis! :)[/quote]

Mines had a slight issue with the lead which seems to have resolved itself but the socket end on the amp is pretty solid and shouldn't move at all.

These are usually held with push fit return clips ie when pushed in from the outside the clips retract and then open once inside the casing holding securely.
Is it possible the socket is fully pushed back inside the casing and just needs a little nudge. Might work. Otherwise you may have to return and have it replaced.
Not sure how easy it is to open the casing and see how they are fixed at back of socket. ?

When you say moves away from the chassis do you mean inward or outward from the casing. ?

Keep us posted though

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1209375' date='Apr 23 2011, 06:34 PM']Mines had a slight issue with the lead which seems to have resolved itself but the socket end on the amp is pretty solid and shouldn't move at all.

These are usually held with push fit return clips ie when pushed in from the outside the clips retract and then open once inside the casing holding securely.
Is it possible the socket is fully pushed back inside the casing and just needs a little nudge. Might work. Otherwise you may have to return and have it replaced.
Not sure how easy it is to open the casing and see how they are fixed at back of socket. ?

When you say moves away from the chassis do you mean inward or outward from the casing. ?

Keep us posted though

Cheers
Dave[/quote]
Always the issue that warranty is invalidated by opening up the casing! :)