Why become a member? ×

New Genz Streamliner 900 in the house!

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1209115' date='Apr 23 2011, 12:33 PM']Depending on the room, I tend to roll the low of to about 10/11 o'clock, and give the low mid a hefty nudge.

Dave - my basses are passive, so I usually engage the gain button to compensate. It'll still run clean with the button in, but it does feel livelier.[/quote]

Cheers. I did try your video settings and yes, its pretty clean still but louder, just what i wanted.
Do you find a cut off point with the Pre volume (not the gain) where it will distort in a nasty way if its turned up too mch, or doesnt it work like that?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1209235' date='Apr 23 2011, 03:23 PM']Tried another, same thing.

The whole section where the lead goes in moves! Away from the chassis! :)[/quote]

This is pretty poor QC, and i dont care what people say about Genz Benz customer service, if this had happened during a gig you would have been stuffed and no amount of customer service would have helped.

Its got me worried now. Not a good start. Think ill hang on to my SA450 for a while.

Edited by dave_bass5

Yep, to update, the actual black plastic housing for the switch and the power cable moves away from the chassis. Only been on for an hour, and went to move it, turned off.

Thought it was my fault, put another power lead in with a little more force, went to turn the tweeter down, knocked the cable EVER so lightly and it went off. Checked it and if you move it up the amp flashes as the lights are fed power then the connection breaks.

Not good. Fab sound, not happy though. I always end up with a problem, and this isnt exactly me being picky, its probably not that safe!

Edited by Musicman20

Good luck with getting this sorted quickly, im sure Darren will pull out all the stops.

Does anyone here use a Genz Benz bag for this head? I got the Gigskinz small mixer bag (yes, it does have a smell) but i feel the pockets aren't going to hold all my leads and radio system. The pocket on the GB bag looks bigger.

Now that you've highlighted this issue i went back and tried mine again. The socket is solid but moving the lead up or down breaks the connection on mine. Will try another mains cable see if it helps.
Bit poor quality for an amp of this calibre.

I'm an Instrument Engineer and use these plugs all the time and I've only ever came across this problem with bass amps or equipment ? Weird. !!!!

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1210285' date='Apr 24 2011, 07:53 PM']Now that you've highlighted this issue i went back and tried mine again. The socket is solid but moving the lead up or down breaks the connection on mine. Will try another mains cable see if it helps.
Bit poor quality for an amp of this calibre.

I'm an Instrument Engineer and use these plugs all the time and I've only ever came across this problem with bass amps or equipment ? Weird. !!!!

Dave[/quote]

This isn't good. Have you tried the lead that comes with the amp? I'm wondering if it's slightly different.

Being the paranoid sort ive just gone in to work to test mine. There does seem to be some movement but i couldn't get it to cut out.

One other thing im not too happy about is ive just found a Dell Laptop bag at work that fits better than the Gigskinz bag i just got. Bugger :-)

I had the Gigskinz bag a couple of years ago but I didn't rate it at all. I found the pockets too small and I thought the catch on the front was a bit naff.

Not to mention the smell !!

I have used a laptop bag ever since , plenty big enough for the Streamliner plus cables , tools etc.

Also had the big bonus of it being free as it was just lying around unused !!

I have a Gigskinz 2 U rack bag and im very happy with it. I do like the small mixer bag but was disappointed with the small pockets.
While i donhave a lot of gear to put in them i know im not goingt to get my leads and radio system in those small pockets.
The laptop bag will hold everything, yet is smaller.
I am a bit worried about having a laptop bag with DELL on it hanging around though, i feel it might get nicked quicker.

Just given mine a little tweak....
All seems to be secure

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1209448' date='Apr 23 2011, 07:45 PM']Yep, to update, the actual black plastic housing for the switch and the power cable moves away from the chassis. Only been on for an hour, and went to move it, turned off.[/quote]

Yep, thanks for checking guys! At least I know I'm not being fussy. Pete, it's the same I think....has a power switch and the plug socket in a black casing...that whole casing moves!

I wasn't even going to check the amp over, I trusted their QC. I noticed it by accident, twice

Thing is, the Genz service is great, but I aint gonna get a new amp shipped to me right away like Ken, I'm going to have to wait until my store gets Fender UK to send a new one, then to them, then to me, and I have to be in pickup and delivery again.

Not a happy chap!

Changed the mains lead to better quality and its a tight fit and doesn't move in the socket.
Seems to have resolved issue.

I do find that where sockets are fitted upside down with the earth pin to the bottom that you get this type of problem where the weight of the plug and cable draws down away from the Live & Nuetral pins rather than weight falling on these pins.

WHY DO Mfr's DO THAT. EARTH PINS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS AT THE TOP - IT IS A UK STANDARD DESIGN ?

Noticed that top cover has screws and there is no mfr's seal across it.
It might be worth your while opening the lid to see if anything obvious with the socket retaining clips. ?

If there's no seal then no-one will be any the wiser if opened.

Sounds like one of the retaining clips on the back of the socket has either broken or sometimes they don't clip open and just need a little nudge to put right.
This could be a simple fix and save a lot of hassle.
The other option might be to contact the shop and get written approval to open it to check. Make sure you have it in writing though as that would be your only comeback in future.

Good luck and sorry to hear about this. Pretty shoddy quality control on this area.

Otherwise amp is brilliant.

Cheers
Dave

I found I have 3 powerleads, all with slightly different ends. One is very loose in the socket but the other two seem to fit pretty tightly and while the whole assembly will move a little if I wiggle the lead there is no movement in the socktet at all.
For good measure I tested my ashdown mag and that is a lot looser but still tight in the socket.

Garreth, how is the other amp?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1210676' date='Apr 25 2011, 10:10 AM']Thanks for the advice. If it were second hand obviously I'd fix it, but with it being new I'm going to leave it Genz to sort out and just get a new one.[/quote]

Probably best option. It is new and under warranty.

Cheers
Dave

hey guys, what do you think the best cab(s) to go with the streamliner 600 is? i play with an indie rock band (killers/radiohead/muse sounding) ideally i would like both a 15" and a 2 x10 however only got about 800 pounds left after purchasing the streamliner 600.

[quote name='Superbass' post='1211074' date='Apr 25 2011, 06:06 PM']hey guys, what do you think the best cab(s) to go with the streamliner 600 is? i play with an indie rock band (killers/radiohead/muse sounding) ideally i would like both a 15" and a 2 x10 however only got about 800 pounds left after purchasing the streamliner 600.[/quote]
Dude your worrying about that 15" too much :) I play a Ray5 through my 2x12 all the time and never get anywhere near the limitations of the amp or the cab if you wanted more lows than I use it will do it no problem but with a tighter overall sound than a 15" 12's are the way froward mate not as fluffy as a 15" and nicer lows than 10's (Yes I have tried all sorts of 10's and I dont think you get the lows :lol: even 4x EBS 2x10's all in a stack still doesnt do it for me it just gets louder rather than deeper for me).
Try out some cabs for yourself its the only way and if your after the clarity rather than dirt you said in a different post make sure you try a shuttle alongside a streamliner too :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1211879' date='Apr 26 2011, 06:25 PM']Nice to see Fender upholding Genz' reputation, I think.[/quote]

Well so far Gareth has had one dud amps from Genz and KJung has had two, all with "Passed QC" tags on them. Is that the rep you mean ;-)

Only joking (sort of).

EDITED to correct my mistake.

Edited by dave_bass5