Why become a member? ×

New Genz Streamliner 900 in the house!

wateroftyne

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1205800' date='Apr 20 2011, 01:30 PM']PS - Can anyone recommend a decent small cabinet to go with one of these?

More than likely a 1x12, not really bothered if its neo or not.

Nothing ludicrously expensive, which rules out the recent neo price rises![/quote]

I went for the Berg AE112 although not exactly cheap it does have an incredible sound and very lightweight. One hand lift.
Bass Direct.

I've heard good things about the Genz Benz cabs too.

Dave

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1205800' date='Apr 20 2011, 01:30 PM']PS - Can anyone recommend a decent small cabinet to go with one of these?

More than likely a 1x12, not really bothered if its neo or not.

Nothing ludicrously expensive, which rules out the recent neo price rises![/quote]

Don't think you can go wrong with an Aguilar GS112 mate :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1205777' date='Apr 20 2011, 01:14 PM']Ive plugged mine in (as opposed to plugging in to it) and all seems to be working fine. I wanted to make sure the LEDs all lit up etc.

I cant wait until everyone goes home from work tonight so i can have a play. I even brought my CV Jazz in to work. Shame im going to have to go through my Ashdown combo's 1x15 speaker rather than my 1212L but im sure its going to sound fantastic anyway.[/quote]

Tried mine last night through the MAG 300 1x15 & my 2x10 deep and all sorts of combinations - well !!! you have to try don't you.
The Berg 112 with the Ashdown 2x10 cab was a good match. Bit more depth and low end with crystal clear mid to highs.

Think i might go for the 2nd Berg though.

PS how do you manage to get away with playing your bass at work - what do you work as. :)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1206096' date='Apr 20 2011, 04:56 PM']Tried mine last night through the MAG 300 1x15 & my 2x10 deep and all sorts of combinations - well !!! you have to try don't you.
The Berg 112 with the Ashdown 2x10 cab was a good match. Bit more depth and low end with crystal clear mid to highs.

Think i might go for the 2nd Berg though.

PS how do you manage to get away with playing your bass at work - what do you work as. :)

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

A Berg with a Ashdown? ive not heard of that before. Your a pioneer lol.

I only ever use one cab, my 1212L 4ohms but i wont get to try that until soundcheck (hopefully we will get one) next weekend so my 1x15 MAG will have to do.

I work in a printers. Im the only one in my room so i have a combo stashed away behind the copier. I dont use it during the day but as i have keys im free to coem and go as i please so its great to have somewhere to go at weekends where i can let rip.

As sod's law will have it the local Maplins dont have a Speakon to jack adaptor so the best i can do today is to play through headphones, and being lazy i plugged the Spirit by Steinberger in with its 7+ years old strings. All sounds pretty good though. Even with these old strings there is a nice top end.
I was going to plug the FX send in to the MAG's return but ill not bother tonight.
To be honest i was just making sure it all works. After KJung's issues i didnt want to take any chances.

Gareth. Have you opened your boxes yet?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206156' date='Apr 20 2011, 05:33 PM']Probably wise, the RS210 will work out I think, but a DB112 would be nice![/quote]

Well the RS112, that I think Owain mentioned, might be a good shout dude.
It's very compact and looks pretty cool :) , and even better you could use it along with your RS210 whenever you fancied it...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1206162' date='Apr 20 2011, 05:39 PM']Well the RS112, that I think Owain mentioned, might be a good shout dude.
It's very compact and looks pretty cool :) , and even better you could use it along with your RS210 whenever you fancied it...

Eude[/quote]

Did think about that, but fancied a non-TC cab I think, something a little bigger for a 1x12.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206340' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:04 PM']Did think about that, but fancied a non-TC cab I think, something a little bigger for a 1x12.[/quote]

How about >> [url="http://www.basscentre.com/bass-cabs/eden-ex112-cab.html"]http://www.basscentre.com/bass-cabs/eden-ex112-cab.html[/url] ...

Eude

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1206361' date='Apr 20 2011, 08:17 PM']Cheers! Thats a good priceeee![/quote]

Make sure you call them first. you do want the cab this side of the summer dont you ;-)

Im very impressed with the build quality of my SL600, the knobs feel very nice and the lit up window impressed everyone at work (other than one guy who prefers red over blue).

Was your 900 what you were expecting? Happy with it?

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1206743' date='Apr 21 2011, 09:12 AM']Was your 900 what you were expecting? Happy with it?[/quote]

I am, its a nice build. It is in a totally different realm when it comes to the actual look and design of the chassis cf to the Shuttle series. I prefer the little extra weight, it feels more solid, and the knobs/tube window/brushed aluminium really set the standard. The bottom of it looks identical to the MB LM3 I had (not in size, the material etc) so that IMO is a good thing.

It looks less like a toy and more like a real amp.

I havent even heard it, but for the price im impressed. I did turn it on without a cab or headphones to see the tube window and I thought the intensity of the LEDS was JUST right.

Great amp, these will sell like mad purely on that.

Next, how does it sound???

Ill find out more soon.

Ive put this in Off Topic for some reason.

What are you using for the aux in?!

Genz told me:

The guys at Genz stated it must be:

Cable -1/8" TRS on the IPOD side to a 1/4"TRS on the amp side

This is what the instructions say:

"AUX INPUT A 1/4 unbalanced line level aux. input is provided that sums directly to the main output bus, controlled by the master volume control. This input is ideal for practicing with recorded tracks from a CD player, IPOD, or MP-3 player. This input is a tip-ring-sleeve type jack with built-in summing resistors that sum left and right signals when used with a stereo cable. This input will also work with a mono tip-sleeve plug. Adjust the level of the playback source to balance with the bass guitar's volume."

Edited by Musicman20

Glad your happy, nice change from the Basses that have been arriving eh?

I put my PC through it (at work) yesterday using the headphone out from the PC and just used a lead that has a stereo mini jack at each end, with the amp end having a mini to 1/4" headphone adaptor on it. It worked well although as we know the left and right were summed to mono.
I think all that Genz stuff is a bit long winded.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1206928' date='Apr 21 2011, 11:44 AM']I put my PC through it (at work) yesterday using the headphone out from the PC and just used a lead that has a stereo mini jack at each end, with the amp end having a mini to 1/4" headphone adaptor on it. It worked well although as we know the left and right were summed to mono.
I think all that Genz stuff is a bit long winded.[/quote]
This is what I do - it works a treat.

I had my first play through a cab last night. Lovely tone, especially the highs. I think the high knob will be a lot more useful than on my MB heads.
I did feel the SL600 wasnt as full on, in your face as the MB heads but the quality of tone was nicer and this was to be expected, so its not a minus, just something ill need to get used to.
I feel the input stage might take some getting used to. I dont think i can really do that until i've done a few gigs with it. It does seem like its not going to distort like i had dreaded so thats good, same with the Gain button engaged.

I guess ill need to start at 12 o'clock on both and work it from there but any tips on what works well to get an almost clean tone with a passive P bass would help.
I guess i'll be wanting to optimise the volume through the input stage so i expect ill use the gain button on all the time. I sort of wish i had got the 900 now but this is all based on 10 mins with the head going through a low powered 15" so im not making any plans to upgrade just yet.

WoT. I noticed you had the gain button engaged in your videos. Do you find this makes much difference to the tone? I know it will boost the input and i expect ill use it all the time but im just wondering if you use it because it boosts the input or if its to get a bit more dirt out of the amp.

I have these questions because i expect ill have less than 30 mins to play around with the amp between now and next Sat's gig so any tips will be appreciated, although of course taken in context that we all like different tones and play differently.

Bottom line is im very pleased with the head, it will take some getting used to but ill definitely sell the SA450, if nothing else it will force me to stick with the new one.