Why become a member? ×

basschat cover?!!!?

fiatcoupe432

[quote name='fiatcoupe432' post='1143974' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:42 PM']Does anyone protect people that trade on here?or if you trade and get a empty case what happen?
thanks for your help guys[/quote]
It's a case of let the buyer beware. I think there's a sticky about somewhere that explains all this.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1143982' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:49 PM']don'y understand this. how would any genuine bc'er get away with screwing another bc'er in the ass? if thats the meaning.[/quote]

Dude, there ain't no vetting process to be a member here. The OP wants to trade a bass with a guy in Greece who's joined the day before offering the trade. You do the maths?

To the OP, I'm not exactly sure what your asking or mean by 'Basschat Cover', but if you're asking if you are protected in someway by the website (in the same way paypal has 'fraud protection' an eBay has a 'dispute resolution centre') then the simple answer is no.

This is a discussion forum, with the added extra of having an area to buy, sell and trade. The management don't offer any protection and all transactions are at your own risk. We try to educate people not to take risks... I the deal is 'too good to be true' then it most likely is. See ped's post above for all the guidelines.

I live by the rule that new newbies need to build up some dialogue with the forum community before I trade with them. New members that join, never post and try to arrange sales by PM etc should be treated with care. Many will be genuine people not use to using forums for discussion, but also it's a fair reason to be suspicious.

I would say given the details you've provided, and the fact you seem suspicious anyway asking for help and advice, if you havn't done the deal yet... Walk away.

Shep

All the trades done here are between two individuals; there is no Organisation covering you if anything goes wrong.
Imagine you've seen the advert in the Yorkshire post, and proceed with the same caution.
The majority of people in the world are not out to stiff anyone, but a small percentage are; the internet is, I suppose, populated by about the same proportion of T#ssers. At least on BC there's something of a community vibe going on - word gets around quickly if dodgy dealings happen and I believe the mods can track multi-personality types to an extent, but like all here are saying you can get more of an idea of someone once they've been around a while. The Feedback section obviously helps, but not all of us even bother with it. Basically a bad rep would spread like fire!
This isn't to say that the newbie in Greece is definitely a wrong 'un - hey, we all started somewhere - but it seems that if they are ok they haven't made any effort so far to make themselves trusted, at least going on the very little I've heard.
I'm with Beedster on this one.

The only way i'd ever do an overseas purchase with a new member is if i got the goods/money first. I have done this before with a guy who only joined to buy my bass and he was a top bloke, everything went smoothly and i had the money in my account before i sent the bass.

I suppose another way is to get a "bagman" - another basschatter who can take the money and delivery of the bass - who can then distribute those to the relevant parties.

If you wanna find out about the potential pitfalls of trading overseas through forums then do a search for "Jakebass Vampyre" on here or the Warwick forum. In fact the Warwick guys also had another conman who juiced a member out of a few k not so long ago.

The only way to go through with this is like something I did for PauBass here recently. He saw a GigRig system for sale on Gumtree that wasn't too far from my neck of the woods. I checked it out next time I was gigging nearby (the seller even brought it down to my gig). Thankfully I did check it out because it turned out that the power input was dodgy on it - no reflection on the seller, I could tell when he went to power it up and demo it for me that he was in stunned embarrassment. All of this saved Pablo a heck of a lot of grief had he bought the thing sight unseen.

So my advice would be to find someone you know in Greece, or someone on the board here that you trust in Greece and see if they can check it out. Otherwise you could be in for a HUGE headache.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1144044' date='Feb 27 2011, 11:41 PM']If you wanna find out about the potential pitfalls of trading overseas through forums then do a search for [b]"Jakebass Vampyre"[/b] on here or the Warwick forum. In fact the Warwick guys also had another conman who juiced a member out of a few k not so long ago.[/quote]
Take care to note that this member is Jakebass, NOT Jake[b]s[/b]bass who is a highly esteemed member and professional bassist and teacher. It's easy to confuse the two, indeed I did briefly when I first joined and read the Vampyre thread.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='1144501' date='Feb 28 2011, 02:27 PM']Doesn't Paypal offer cover?[/quote]
I may be wrong but I'm not sure that PayPal gives the same cover outside Ebay. I seem to remember hearing that somewhere a while ago.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='silddx' post='1144484' date='Feb 28 2011, 02:10 PM']Take care to note that this member is Jakebass, NOT Jake[b]s[/b]bass who is a highly esteemed member and professional bassist and teacher. It's easy to confuse the two, indeed I did briefly when I first joined and read the Vampyre thread.[/quote]

Very good point!

So remember:

Beard and double bass = good.
Emo with angry parents = bad.