Why become a member? ×

How do you insure your basses against loss or theft?

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='owen' post='1140602' date='Feb 24 2011, 10:47 PM']If you go with house insurance and it gets stolen on a paying gig the insurance company will not pay up. For real.[/quote]
Depends on the insurer.

I've banked with the Co-Op for yonks and got a quote from them last year for house insurance & asked about musical instrument cover out of the house. I was pleasantly surprised to get a "Yes" to the question "So if I'm playing in a pub & someone pours a pint of Guinness over my amp & it blows up, am I covered?". Ditto for having a bass nicked while at a gig.

Works out about £13/month for household plus instrument cover.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1140644' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:23 PM']Depends on the insurer.

I've banked with the Co-Op for yonks and got a quote from them last year for house insurance & asked about musical instrument cover out of the house. I was pleasantly surprised to get a "Yes" to the question "So if I'm playing in a pub & someone pours a pint of Guinness over my amp & it blows up, am I covered?". Ditto for having a bass nicked while at a gig.

Works out about £13/month for household plus instrument cover.

Pete.[/quote]

Sounds like the ideal solution and peace of mind too. my basses are often travelling to and from rehearsal and venues and one of my biggest worry is of one of them being half pinched while I am loading a cab in the boot of the car or something.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='1140644' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:23 PM']Depends on the insurer.[/quote]

If you are taking a fee for the gig I would be......... pleasantly surprised if they paid up.

Cover from theft from vehicles is usually an extra premium on recognised musical instrument insurance. I would again be pleasantly surprised if household insurance would want to cover a Dingwall Super J which had been taken while you wheeled your amp in to the venue.

I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong, but we are dealing with insurance companies here. They are not cuddly and friendly and if it is not specifically stated in the policy document, they just will not pay out. You can huff and puff as much as you like after the event. They will not care. They are not your friends.

Bitter, moi?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1140642' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:22 PM'][/quote]

This particular quote does not cover away from home because whoever filled it in opted for [i]none[/i] of it to be covered away from the home location. I use Musicguard and have 50% insured away from home.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1140658' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:33 PM']It does if you tick the box asking for outside cover.[/quote]

yeh you do have to ask for it by ticking the box!!

the idea is that you may only take 50% of your gear out to gigs that way you only pay the extra premium on that amount not on all of it :) simples!! lol

[quote name='owen' post='1140661' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:35 PM']I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong, but we are dealing with insurance companies here. They are not cuddly and friendly and [i][b]if it is not specifically stated in the policy document, they just will not pay out[/b][/i]. You can huff and puff as much as you like after the event. They will not care. They are not your friends.

Bitter, moi?[/quote]
Totally agree. Irrespective of what someone quoted me on the phone I'd want it in writing before paying them a penny in premiums.

Unfortunately my circumstances are such that I couldn't take it further, so I can't be absolutely certain that it wasn't sales spiel - I'd be surprised if it was though, the Co-Op are normally pretty straight.

Mine is covered at home by household insurance. (Legal & General)
My PLI policy has an optional extra added to cover equipment loss or damage at gigs. (Zurich)

The only weak spot is the car insurance - I've only got a £500 limit on that for 'entertainment equipment'. (Post Office)

I have musical instrument insurance through Allianz. Their website sucks though so maybe better to phone them.

If I remember correctly music guard wont cover you for theft from an unattended vehicle. Thats a big no-no for me.

I looked into just getting my guitars added to my home insurance but too often theres lots of hidden clauses---no cover if its stolen from a gig, no cover if its stolen from a car, etc. For the price of a couple of beers a month I know that I'm (relatively) safe for every situation...

[quote name='obbm' post='1140662' date='Feb 24 2011, 11:36 PM']This particular quote does not cover away from home because whoever filled it in opted for [i]none[/i] of it to be covered away from the home location. I use Musicguard and have 50% insured away from home.[/quote]
+1 me too.

Also a bit of public liability insurance as well so i can safely bash anyone with the headstock of my bass knowing that i will be covered. Nice.

Hi everybody

I've been reading this topic with much interest.
You see, I'm about to start a quite lengthy (5 months) european tour and my employers want me to have health and gear insurance.
I'm fairly new to the UK (been here for a couple of years), so I'd need some pointers about what's the most convenient company, etc...
Of course, if you have any additional advice for me, it's much appreciated
thanks in advance