Why become a member? ×

Neck Dive - Innocent or Guilty?

Ian2k

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1139176' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:09 PM']warwick have similar neck thickness. check out their web site for neck dimensions. quite interesting if you're as sad as me. although i have heard someone complain about warwicks diving.[/quote]

Had 2 Warwicks, both bolt ons and modern ovankol/wenge necks - a thumb 4 and a ash corvette 4. Wouldn't say they neck dove as such but they definitely hung horizontal as a preference.

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1139175' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:06 PM']The Status is headless I belive? What's the thickness of the neck like - I don't know how to technically describe it, but what I'm used to and like with the RBX is the neck thinness, so for example at fret 1, from fretboard to the back of the neck is around 2cm.[/quote]

Headed Status S1 and S2 basses balance perfectly with only the headed 6 stringers starting to get a little neck heavy. Neck profiles are generally pretty slim although the very early ones (80s) were a bit chunkier.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1139347' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:02 PM']Not necessarily disagreeing with you but I once owned a Stingray on the lighter side of typical (about 8.5lbs) and that didn't balance as well as my current Ray4. As far as could tell the pin positions were exactly the same. Obviously the neck length, and body weight have some effect on the cog. On your 5lb special I guess you're using lightweight neck wood and tuners to ensure good balance?[/quote]
body shape, as described earlier.of course weight is key, but who needs all that unnecessary weight? not me! i'm only ickle. yes to light neck wood and tuners. mahogany necks are about 2lb with tuners. a heavy maple neck would maybe tip the 3lb body over a little, but to balance that out you'd still only be talkin 6 or 7lb. symmetrical bouts in a bass are bad news. obviously, when you start to approach the 9-10lb range, who cares about neck dive? it's back dive you need to worry about. basses can be heavy beasts as we know, and there really is no need for it.

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1139177' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:09 PM']That's interesting, I had thought about that, but have never seen it done, and I was worried whether that would put a strain on the neck joint that it wasn't designed for. Presumably you've not had any indications of any problems like that?[/quote]

I've had no trouble with it. The bass is as light as anything anyway.

[quote]be carefull there. dont do go screwing through into the truss channel. common sense but you never know.[/quote]

It's just tied on as with my acoustic guitar.

All well balanced it just looks odd as nobody seems to do it!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1139448' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:14 AM']I've had no trouble with it. The bass is as light as anything anyway.

It's just tied on as with my acoustic guitar.

All well balanced it just looks odd as nobody seems to do it![/quote]
i've wondered why people dont do this, as you say, i think it's just because nobody else does it. if it fixes your bass, jobs one of them good uns.

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1139456' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:19 AM']i've wondered why people dont do this, as you say, i think it's just because nobody else does it. if it fixes your bass, jobs one of them good uns.[/quote]

If you'd tried it, you'd know why people don't do it. With many solid-body instruments, if you tie a strap round the headstock (and use the bottom strap button as usual), then the body will quickly dive and the headstock will come and slap you in the face! Which can hurt. I know, cos I've done it! :)

An alternative approach, which doesn't involve facial injury, is to connect your strap as usual, but then run a cord from the strap to the headstock, so as to spread the weight. That works, but you'll need to adjust the strap length to get it comfortable.

Edited by mart

I used to play Epiphone T-Birds, and had to change where I kept my pint on stage, as up til then, always kept it on the left hand side, and drunk it holding with my left hand. Once got the T-Birds - no, as I would reach for the pint, and my T-Bird would reach for the floor.

Soon got used to it though.

The Fender-style in-line arrangement of machineheads (does anyone say that any more?) moves the centre of gravity to the left, making neck dive worse that with a side-by-side arrangment.

I've found the easiest solution to neck dive is Hipshot aluminium tuners. They can make a huge difference.

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1139118' date='Feb 23 2011, 08:34 PM']worst i had for it was a 5 string sandberg p bass... every time i let go, the headstock was round my ankles lol![/quote]

What model was it? I wasn't a California PM-5? Was it?... I'm GASing for one sometime in a near-ish future but neck dive issues would put me off!

Back on topic:
I had a RBX 375 with no neck dive problems whatsoever. I see the maker's point of view in developing the top-of-the-line model and downgrading parts and materials for the cheaper stuff but from my experience with Yamaha basses i've never seen one with design faults (of course there are always lemons...)! I think you should try to get some hipshot ultralites and a high-mass bridge to try to balance the bass you enjoy playing... but doing the math i think you can grab that money, sell the 270 and get a RBX 374 and solve your problems while upgrading to a better bass!

Cheers

[quote name='mart' post='1139801' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:00 PM']If you'd tried it, you'd know why people don't do it. With many solid-body instruments, if you tie a strap round the headstock (and use the bottom strap button as usual), then the body will quickly dive and the headstock will come and slap you in the face! Which can hurt. I know, cos I've done it! :)

An alternative approach, which doesn't involve facial injury, is to connect your strap as usual, but then run a cord from the strap to the headstock, so as to spread the weight. That works, but you'll need to adjust the strap length to get it comfortable.[/quote]
yea, those tuners can become a lethal weapon for sure. heres an idea. take a picture hook to gigs with you, screw it into the ceiling with a piece of fishing line and hang your thunderbirds headstock from that, puppet style. thunderbirds are go

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1139909' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:14 PM']yea, those tuners can become a lethal weapon for sure. heres an idea. take a picture hook to gigs with you, screw it into the ceiling with a piece of fishing line and hang your thunderbirds headstock from that, puppet style. thunderbirds are go[/quote]

:)
Brilliant! I think that is absolutely the last word on neck-dive!

I think inline (Fender-style) tuners probably don't help (which is why some modern Fenders advertise their use of lightweight ones) but also the length of the top horn. Counter-intuitively, I reckon a long top horn minimises neck dive, especially on the strap (its the position of the strap button, isn't it?) but for some reason it seems to help on the lap too. Or is that just me?

My Indie IB604 (5-piece maple/ebony neck, side by side tuners, vaguely Ibanez Soundgear-type body shape): perfect balance. You can take your hands right off, and even on the lap it just sits there.

My Fender 70RI Precision - perfect on the strap, but dives for the floor as soon as you let go if it's on the lap.

Saying that, the Fender obviously has a high-gloss urethane finish, but the Indie has an oiled swamp ash body, so less slippery by a long way!

i play the yamaha rbx170 and a rbx 375, weight wise they are both very balanced and have no dive, if you dig the neck of yours you should feel comfortable with any of them. i love them both, amazing value for money.

Edited by subdude

In short:
Vigier S3 Passion V- Not guilty
Fender MIA Jazz- Not guilty
Hohner B2A V - Not guilty
Warwick Fortress Masterman V- Not guilty
Status Streamline- Not even accused of anything

Warwick Infinity SN TCS IV- In the balance
Ovation Electro Acoustic- Jury's out
OLP 'Ray 35- Jury couldn't reach a verdict
Westone Raider 1- Gulity of a lesser charge of being pointy
Yamaha Attitude Ltd 10th Anniversary- GUILTY AS CHARGED
Warwick Streamer LX VI- Sorry.... I... Can't seem to... pick it.... up....

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1140177' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:28 PM']In short:
Vigier S3 Passion V- Not guilty
Fender MIA Jazz- Not guilty
Hohner B2A V - Not guilty
Warwick Fortress Masterman V- Not guilty
Status Streamline- Not even accused of anything

Warwick Infinity SN TCS IV- In the balance
Ovation Electro Acoustic- Jury's out
OLP 'Ray 35- Jury couldn't reach a verdict
Westone Raider 1- Gulity of a lesser charge of being pointy
Yamaha Attitude Ltd 10th Anniversary- GUILTY AS CHARGED
Warwick Streamer LX VI- Sorry.... I... Can't seem to... pick it.... up....[/quote]
yamaha again!