Why become a member? ×

Neck Dive - Innocent or Guilty?

Ian2k

[quote name='subdude' post='1140160' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:12 PM']i play the yamaha rbx170 and a rbx 375, weight wise they are both very balanced and have no dive, if you dig the neck of yours you should feel comfortable with any of them. i love them both, amazing value for money.[/quote]

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1139897' date='Feb 24 2011, 01:07 PM']What model was it? I wasn't a California PM-5? Was it?... I'm GASing for one sometime in a near-ish future but neck dive issues would put me off!

Back on topic:
I had a RBX 375 with no neck dive problems whatsoever. I see the maker's point of view in developing the top-of-the-line model and downgrading parts and materials for the cheaper stuff but from my experience with Yamaha basses i've never seen one with design faults (of course there are always lemons...)! I think you should try to get some hipshot ultralites and a high-mass bridge to try to balance the bass you enjoy playing... but doing the math i think you can grab that money, sell the 270 and get a RBX 374 and solve your problems while upgrading to a better bass!

Cheers[/quote]

That's useful, thanks to both. I'd been wary about getting another yamaha as I thought they might all suffer the same problem.

I'd considered light tuners and heavy bridge, but 1 1/2 lbs is quite a lot of adjustment, and wasn't sure if even after the outlay it would be right. I'd even considered cutting the headstock off and making it headless - quite a bit of work, but might be fun for a project!

So I've added the 374 (375 - too many strings for me!) on to the list of possible replacements for the 260.

Thanks.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1139837' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:25 PM']Am i the ONLY fan of neck dive? :)

I quite like the feel, but not on some basses when its extreme where moving a finger from the neck sends it to 6'oclock![/quote]

I know where there's a nice RBX260 available, neck dive guaranteed ... :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='1139357' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:07 PM']The streamline is headless yes. Neck profile....feels similar to a modern USA precision to me, quite slim front to back but the wider fretboard width of about 1.6" compared to 1.5" on a Jazz.

I find it very playable and I almost exclusively played a Jazz for years.[/quote]

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1139391' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:26 PM']Headed Status S1 and S2 basses balance perfectly with only the headed 6 stringers starting to get a little neck heavy. Neck profiles are generally pretty slim although the very early ones (80s) were a bit chunkier.[/quote]

Thanks to both. Statuses (or Statii ?) added to my list of possibilities.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1143741' date='Feb 27 2011, 07:46 PM']It still amazes me that my Veillettes have no neck dive whatsoever. In fact, they are very lightweight and balance perfectly.

[/quote]
vnice. is the strap button on the neck, could be the answer on such light instruments.
this is just my kinda gripey thread. whenever i see it i think it's my thread. weird. is the op a naquarius? :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' post='1143998' date='Feb 27 2011, 10:59 PM']is the strap button on the neck, could be the answer on such light instruments[/quote]

No, it's at the neck joint. Veillette use an unusual system of a single bolt with a T joint (apparently, I've never taken the neck off), and the strap button is attached to this. It is rock solid.

You can see what I mean in the picture below.

The only bass I had that suffered serious dive was an old BC Rich Mockingbird. Fairly light body and silly strap button placement due to the design - moving the strap button to the neck heel improved things considerabley.