Why become a member? ×

Would You Play For Nothing?

Pete Academy

[quote name='JTUK' post='1136628' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:20 AM']This.. pretty much.

Every gig I would want a fee... but if I really wanted to do it then I might waive it for a good reason.

But the thing that gets my goat for a charity gig..or can do... the bands play for free,
the PA guy gets paid as do the bar staff etc etc.

It can make you picky about charity gigs if this is the case.

I can't see why you would not set out to get paid.[/quote]

I'm with you on this..... I play lots of charity gigs..... but we always ask for a fee. Ok it might not be our usual full wack but we still ask for a fee. The cost of transportation these days is enough to send your bank balance into the red.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1136628' date='Feb 22 2011, 01:20 AM']But the thing that gets my goat for a charity gig..or can do... the bands play for free,
the PA guy gets paid as do the bar staff etc etc.[/quote]
I used to share this view, but then I realised that the PA guy is the first to arrive and the last to leave... arguably, he/she works the hardest. Plus, they get none of the adulation.

Plus, along with the bar staff, there's a fair chance it's his living. Unlike most of us.

So.. I have no problem with some people being paid in those circumstances.

That said, most of the charity do's I've done pay the bands.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1136727' date='Feb 22 2011, 09:02 AM']I used to share this view, but then I realised that the PA guy is the first to arrive and the last to leave... arguably, he/she works the hardest. Plus, they get none of the adulation.

Plus, along with the bar staff, there's a fair chance it's his living. Unlike most of us.

So.. I have no problem with some people being paid in those circumstances.

That said, most of the charity do's I've done pay the bands.[/quote]

Yes, it is a toughie, agreed.

Our general stance is that we want something and if its worth doing, it should be done properly
and that means the budget should be worked out.

Not a total heartless bunch though and you can always say no and not do it. Some gigs have more to them
that straight up playing so if it is a market that will lead to other things or a blinding craic, then..??

Each on their merits

What is this adulation thing..??

I'm in a 13 piece band, so once it's divvied up it's comes to near enough bugger-all anyway :) plus we do a few charity gigs that really do pay nothing. So yes, I would, and nearly do, play for now't.
But if it started costing me [i]large[/i] amounts of folding, then in the current circumstances i'd have to reconsider.

Hardly been payed in 20 years. Sometimes and more so In recent times but I just love to play and perform. The way I see it us that some people will do karaoke or queue for hours to embarrass themselves at some talent show or similar once and talk about it for years, whereas we get to do the things that many people can only dream of. For that I think I'm lucky, over the years I've had great times with great Mates and have great stories to tell. Much better than staying in and watching Telly anyway. It's not always easy and I'd love to have been paid more, but I'm thankful for every moment.
Infact recently a fledgling covers band I'm in as they start were offered some gigs but the keys and guitard who already only play for money balked as the split would've been pretty thin. So I offered to Play for free, cause I do it for the rush and the experience, Not for thirty quid or whatever. Ill say though that Since having the little 'un though I'm rather more choosy with things that would eat family time.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136165' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:22 PM']If it's for a charity, yes, do it all the time with no expenses.

Mate's partys etc, yes. Expect grub and wine.

Jam nights and impromptu get togethers, yes, just good fun.

Local village thing? yes. Usually free food.

Some bastard making shed loads off our backs, NO[/quote]

well put that man.

would i expect to advise a client for no fee? would that client expect me to do this for no charge? probably not. You set your stall out and if you do something for nothing people seem to think you are not too fussed about getting paid and almost expect it to be free. Madness.

[quote name='clauster' post='1136267' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:04 PM']I've got a friend who is a backing singer in a covers band. I was asking if they got well paid for gigs. The answer: I don't know, the sax/singer keeps all the money: it's his band and he is a professional :)[/quote]
Wow. This is both incredible & outrageous at the same time. Professional what - con artist? So is this backing singer just spectacularly naive & biddable, or has this "professional" somehow hoodwinked an entire band into supporting his career for f@ck-all? :)

Jon.

A drummer friend and myself play every thurs in a house band for an open mic for free, while the singer/guitarist takes all the money. He also provides the pa, which he also sets up and strikes. He buys us drinks and occasionally uses us for paid gigs. Its his living but we both have day jobs. It grates a bit, but I play every Thurs at open mic because I like it and it challenges me. Hence over time I've become the house guy. It's got me exposure and a reputation and is better than watching Telly all night. Its also directly led to the odd paid gig and I get to meet lots of musos and people. Hence why I do it when it looks on paper like I'm nuts!

Edited by gafbass02

I take each gig/session on its merits..

If I'm playing something I hate.. I'm not doing it unless I'm getting paid

If the project is interesting, I have the time and the spare funds, I might do it for free, but only for a certain amount of time.

If with some guys I love to play with and we all know there's no funds or just petrol and food money and I'm not travelling for ages, it's very likely I'll do it..

Covers/functions/corporate signed or funded artist gigs - that's work, I want to be paid. No fee, no music

Charity gigs - depends.. I do alot for charity, so I have no problem saying no or asking for a reduced fee. It annoys me when the PA guys get full wack and tell people they are doing a charity gig and I don't like the argument on whether it's my day job or not.. I've been a full-time pro and a part-time pro. But I don't think my choices changed when I got asked to do a charity gig. I's personal call.

If I was rich, I might think differently about the above, but do [b]sometimes [/b]think the everyday musician has sold themselves short for playing at a pub for 'a couple of drinks'. I've seen pub owners and landlords and music venues start to see bands as a money maker for free. There's not as much respect for the time, effort and money that goes into being a musician. That rubs me up the wrong way with gigs. I think this because the need to play sometimes outways the need for bands..

I could be wrong..

I could count the number of times we've been payed more than petrol money on one hand. A lot of the time we dont even get petrol money.

I play in a band because I love live music. I work my day job so I can afford to live and do the things I enjoy (such as playing in a band!).

Edited by Wil

Back in the originals band, we counted ourselves lucky to cover petrol or get some beers. That's par for the course.

The covers band is a whole different thing. We're here to work and get paid. Just so happens that it's a joy to do as well.
I really enjoy my day job as well but wouldn't do it for free...

We play friends' parties for free booze and exposure to drunken ladies :)
Also, I rope the guys into playing free at the charity events I organise. It's sort of a payment in lieiu for me doing all the management, bookkeeping and tax stuff.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1136333' date='Feb 21 2011, 09:32 PM']I think I'd been playing a fair few years before I actually got paid! Now I think it's important that musicians are paid for their service. Doorstaff & barstaff get paid. As a minimum venues should at least feed & water the band.[/quote]
Rick Wakeman had a classic rant on this subject in his Classic Rock / Prog magazine column recently. Something along the lines of being contacted and asked to do a charity do. Quoting a price, getting a slightly shocked query re this assuming he would be doing it for nothing and then a sheepish response when he asked if the venue, staff, etc would also be providing their services for nowt.

Slightly different for him to my circs.

Have done a few over the years and tend to look on them as a "calling card" possible "in" to new gigs in different areas.

Being in a sludge/stoner/doom/rock type band I rarely see cash. When we do its usually a fair whack o cash. Maybe it evens out over the year? Definately do it for pleasure. I've come to realise the easy money is made by the sound tech and have started to do a lot more of that lately.

Metal: Always learning, never earning!

To answer the question (like I didn't in my previous post), like most people I would need to be paid for playing covers, with certain occasional exceptions, like charity gigs etc.

I play original material, and have done for most of the time I've been playing. Most of that material has been my own work, which I'm immensely proud of (misplaced or otherwise) and love playing & putting in front of an audience. I'm happy to do that for nothing and will continue to do so as long as I'm able.

Covers are a different matter, as would be other people's original material. I [i]might[/i] gig for nothing with an originals band where I wasn't involved in composition, but I would have to absolutely love the material & the band - I can think of a couple of bands I'd do this with but there really ain't been that many. Covers is work, I played covers for a few years and it was a broadly enjoyable work but not something I'd ever do for the love of it.

It would be nice to think that original music, unvalidated by media, business & familiarity, could be worth anybody's time - or even money - but the prevailing mindset is that it's inevitably sh!t until someone (who presumably knows better than you do) tells you different. And unless they do, you can barely give it away.

J.

I'd definitely play for free if there was a blanket "bands don't get paid" policy in place in the uk. If I didn't I'd have to give up playing full stop as I only play so I can play live. I don't really get the bedroom player thing.

I currently play either a fri or sat night every week with my covers band and it pays enough for holidays, cars and guitars. I'm tempted to try forming a second "no charge" covers band with like minded individuals for friends parties etc. I'd love that kind of "no pressure" playing and it could only benefit my other band as I'd be playing more.

Imagine how much more live music there would be in the pubs and bars etc if the venue didn't have to pay for it and you'd never struggle to get gigs - would defo want free beer tho!