Why become a member? ×

Hearing your rig played by another bass player

Gunsfreddy2003

Last night I played a club gig with 2 other bands and to save time and hassle I left my rig on stage for the other two bands bass players to use. Not sure what one of the bass players was using some 5 string thing which just sounded muddy and did not really do much for me but the other guy was using a Stingray and I have to say it sounded awesome!!

I guess it was a modern Stingray as it had a 3 band EQ but through my rig it just sang and was exactly the sound that I hope I omit when playing my basses through the rig.

Has this every happened to anyone else and do you think that it is human nature to always think that someone else's bass always sounds better through our rigs? Or did my ears tell me everything and a Stingray is really what I need to nail "my sound" through my rig?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1133319' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:58 PM']Last night I played a club gig with 2 other bands and to save time and hassle I left my rig on stage for the other two bands bass players to use. Not sure what one of the bass players was using some 5 string thing which just sounded muddy and did not really do much for me but the other guy was using a Stingray and I have to say it sounded awesome!!

I guess it was a modern Stingray as it had a 3 band EQ but through my rig it just sang and was exactly the sound that I hope I omit when playing my basses through the rig.

Has this every happened to anyone else and do you think that it is human nature to always think that someone else's bass always sounds better through our rigs? Or did my ears tell me everything and a Stingray is really what I need to nail "my sound" through my rig?[/quote]

or...he may have been dead chuffed with the sound you gave him..??

Generally, I think very good sounding basses can plug into anything and work...so it is your core sounds that need to be there rather than go chasing all sorts of amp EQ.

Do you think your basses sounds really good ?

To the OP, you can buy a Stingray but it won't necessarily make you sound any better than you do already.

I'm in a house band for a jam night so I get to hear a lot of other players using my gear. I've been told that I get the best sound of the night. That’s not boasting, I should do, it's my gear.

You're always going to be on the back foot with someone else's gear but most of the jammers don't sound too bad and they are usually the ones who have not fiddled with the controls. The guys who "fiddle" nearly always sound worse. In my experience the quality of the bass doesn't guarantee anything. The players who sound the best can have the crappiest gear but the difference is that they play with a confidence that pushes the notes and sound out.

I know this has been said before, but I think your sound is really moulded by your fingers or rather your attitude to playing!!

Edited by chris_b

No - I have not managed to do that yet and wonder if I should get my drummer (who plays bass a bit) to have a blast so I can hear it at the same distance that I was listening to others at last night that would then be a fair comparison.

I am sure that we all do this but was just curious to hear other peoples comments on the subject.

Still would fancy a Stingray though!!!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1133381' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:14 PM']To the OP;

Just a thought - have you heard your own bass from the distance the audience hear it ? is it possible that sound may be different to the sound experienced up close to the rig ?[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1133416' date='Feb 19 2011, 02:36 PM']Still would fancy a Stingray though!!![/quote]

One certainly wont make you the laughing stock as far as sound goes, Im totally biased obviously but you see Rays in all types of situations from gospel to punk making the one trick pony thing is laughable, If anything the single pup just makes YOU have to learn the different techniques and disiplines to make all these sounds in our heads, As others have said the sound is largeley in your fingers than the in the EQ.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1133470' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:30 PM']Your best indication is to record the gig with a single mic in the audience and then you can hear how your sound compares to the other bassists'. Listening to your drummer playing your rig won't really tell you anything - the player is a far larger variable than any of the equipment.[/quote]

That doesnt really make sense either though does it? Your drummer and the other bassists are still all different people to each other and I have played in bands that have drummers that are also possibly better bass players than the ones in the other bands that appeared that night.

The only answer would be to record the whole set FOH and lend some different basses to do different numbers on and then compare those to each other as thats the only variable as the rest of your band lineup and kit remains the same. If you wanted to be even more of a pedant (Im one :) ) then record a rehersal but swap the basses for each time around the same track then study it after at home when the rest of the band arent laughing and taking the pee out of you for being so picky! lol

Edited by stingrayPete1977

To the OP, in support of Essex - I've been shocked at the difference in what I thought was my sound merely by taking a long lead from my bass and stepping down (at a rehearsal I hasten to add!) to hear my amp from a distance. Even more so when I've done it in situations (e.g. at church) where FOH sound is coming over the PA via sansamp. It's actually been v reassuring - much better sound than I'd imagined!

Pete is right about Stingrays - just like their ancestor the P-Bass they are far more versatile than they have any right to be, both in terms of tone and of dynamic range. Just listen to the different sounds Gail Ann Dorsey gets from her Marilyn! Those two (Stringray and P-Bass) are perhaps the most finger-responsive, least knob-twiddling basses out there. But the JB is close, surely. Must be a Leo Fender thing :)

i've had a similar experience, i had my superfly rigged up at church and had told a friiend he could use it for a practice, i showed him how to set the eq's and gave him permisson to save settings for the next practice. he plugged in his 77 precision and set the eq and off he went. the sound was awesome and from that moment on i knew i needed a precision like his, i spent the next 6 months searching for a precision with an added jazz pickup that sounded halfway as goood as his, in the end at a party (in the kitchen obv) i told him that if he ever wanted to sell it i would give him a great price, i also mentioned the immaculate 78 precision i'd seen in our local guitar shop, he perked up at this news and said he'd have to check it out, the following monday he called me and offered me a deal, well i contained my excitement and within 3 days i had his precision, took it home, plugged in, set the amp to his settings (which i'd saved) and there it was, my perfect tone.
maybe you need a stingray? (or at least the loan of one to try out.)

Very kind thought/offer and much appreciated if I was only near enough. I did used to have a fretless stingray a couple of years ago and old it because I could not play as well as I had hoped on a fretless! In hindsight I should have kept it and just got a fretted neck.

Changing direction of the thread here but in terms of looking for a Stingray would you advise on pre EB (missed out on one this week on the forum) or the other I would like would be a 5 string either old or the new Classic Ray 5 but I hear there are some QC issues with these?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1133654' date='Feb 19 2011, 06:11 PM']If you werent so far away from me Gunsfreddy I would of lent you my 2002 for a week or two to see how you got on but its a long way from here.[/quote]

Extend your lead. I use a extension piece that has two female ends so you plug 2 leads together. Then walk right out into the audiance area to hear what you sound like, not your drummer who plays a bit of bass. It would be like you playing his drums for him to listen to - it won't work. You should get a suprise as to how you sound. You have not said what your bass is while you are GASing for a Ray. Ok, I have one it and it's the nuts and always sounds good out front with me playing it. Only then can you make an informed decision.

Yep good idea and much cheaper than a wireless system too!

Last night I was using the 74 Fender Jazz with the Sadowsky outboard pre-amp.

[quote name='mep' post='1133673' date='Feb 19 2011, 06:38 PM']Extend your lead. I use a extension piece that has two female ends so you plug 2 leads together. Then walk right out into the audiance area to hear what you sound like, not your drummer who plays a bit of bass. It would be like you playing his drums for him to listen to - it won't work. You should get a suprise as to how you sound. You have not said what your bass is while you are GASing for a Ray. Ok, I have one it and it's the nuts and always sounds good out front with me playing it. Only then can you make an informed decision.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1133319' date='Feb 19 2011, 12:58 PM']Last night I played a club gig with 2 other bands and to save time and hassle I left my rig on stage for the other two bands bass players to use. Not sure what one of the bass players was using some 5 string thing which just sounded muddy and did not really do much for me but the other guy was using a Stingray and I have to say it sounded awesome!!

Has this every happened to anyone else and do you think that it is human nature to always think that someone else's bass always sounds better through our rigs? Or did my ears tell me everything and a Stingray is really what I need to nail "my sound" through my rig?[/quote]

I once owned a Jazz bass copy by Vintage that I had modified with a metal scratchplate (helped screening, it was very quiet) and a series/parallel switch. It was very nice. But I sold it. Moved on.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I'm in the same situation you describe. We're the last band to play, I agreed to provide bas amplification. One of the bands was ok, the other one was overall better and as I do, I pay attention to the bass. It sounded very good. Then I realised... it was the guy I sold the bass to, that was my old bass indeed!!!
I didn't imagine that bass sounded as good as that!!!
I told him if he ever wanted to sell it, to call me. He said he doubts it'll happen any time soon.

So there i was, playing my Stingray (which I love and won't change for anything, I must add!) thinking "damn, that Vintage sounded great! And I sold it for peanuts!" :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1133661' date='Feb 19 2011, 06:17 PM']Very kind thought/offer and much appreciated if I was only near enough.[/quote]

nah, don't say that, he only really does it to make you suffer knowing you're probably too far. He's evil that way :)

regarding the Stingray sound, and as JTUK said more or less: some basses just seem to sound good in any situation.
The Stingray is, in my experience, one of them.

I don't play in a famous band so I have no roadies, and although I love my own gear if I can get away with using something else that will do the job and means I don't need to carry heavy cabs with me, I will do that. That means I get to play various rigs in different venues. Since I play the Stingray, soundcheck is a fairly simple procedure. Soundguy gets a good sound, I hear myself and feel the bass, all good. It wasn't that way always with other basses. The Warwick Corvette $$ was the one that worked better, before the Stingray, but I never fell in love fully with it. The Stingray just feels like "me", if that makes any sense. Recording was the same situation. The engineer commented on how easy it was to record the Stingray.

I'm sure someone can analyse it and figure what it is about the timbre or whatever that makes it work. All I know is... it works.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1133470' date='Feb 19 2011, 03:30 PM']Your best indication is to record the gig with a single mic in the audience and then you can hear how your sound compares to the other bassists'. Listening to your drummer playing your rig won't really tell you anything - the player is a far larger variable than any of the equipment.[/quote]
MMMmmm lose the fender and buy a stingray
thats the thing,
you're a good player with good gear (lose the weak link) you just never heard it before!!
:)

only what I think, and all that!

[quote name='mcnach' post='1133828' date='Feb 19 2011, 09:46 PM']nah, don't say that, he only really does it to make you suffer knowing you're probably too far. He's evil that way :)

regarding the Stingray sound, and as JTUK said more or less: some basses just seem to sound good in any situation.
The Stingray is, in my experience, one of them.

I don't play in a famous band so I have no roadies, and although I love my own gear if I can get away with using something else that will do the job and means I don't need to carry heavy cabs with me, I will do that. That means I get to play various rigs in different venues. Since I play the Stingray, soundcheck is a fairly simple procedure. Soundguy gets a good sound, I hear myself and feel the bass, all good. It wasn't that way always with other basses. The Warwick Corvette $$ was the one that worked better, before the Stingray, but I never fell in love fully with it. The Stingray just feels like "me", if that makes any sense. Recording was the same situation. The engineer commented on how easy it was to record the Stingray.

I'm sure someone can analyse it and figure what it is about the timbre or whatever that makes it work. All I know is... it works.[/quote]

All of what he said +1000

Few tweaks at any venue any style of music and it's there. And like Jose said they record well too.

It's a shame I'm in the middle of you two, Jose needs to try a pre EB and the OP needs to gig a fretted 4 and 5.
Evil, Me, Nah :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1133661' date='Feb 19 2011, 06:17 PM']Very kind thought/offer and much appreciated if I was only near enough. I did used to have a fretless stingray a couple of years ago and old it because I could not play as well as I had hoped on a fretless! In hindsight I should have kept it and just got a fretted neck.

Changing direction of the thread here but in terms of looking for a Stingray would you advise on pre EB (missed out on one this week on the forum) or the other I would like would be a 5 string either old or the new Classic Ray 5 but I hear there are some QC issues with these?[/quote]

I love my pre EB, It's my favourite by far but it's very different to the 5 string. The lows are lovely and the tops can be anywhere from mellow to breaking glass where the new 2 bands and classic rays don't seam to lose the treble no matter what you do on the bass EQ and leave you reaching for the amp knobs instead. The biggest problem with a pre EB is finding one to try/buy. The lack of body contours soon becomes no problem after a few gigs.

I would love a classic5 because I like the Ray5 but obviously can't get an actual pre EB five so it's as close as you can get. Musicman20 had to send his classic 4 back due to a bad neck pocket and most classics I have seen are not as tight as any of my Rays so that could be an issue.

My early 80's MM was one the best basses I've ever had but the pre can be very harsh. IIRC, the sweep is +-15db and that is a lot to abuse. Of course, you don't have to use all that :)
Rock solid neck, lovely bass.

To the OP. there is only so much you can get from listening to someone else on your set-up..and I think you may be clutching at straws if you hope that you sound so much better out front that you do close up.
What are we talking here...20 mtrs..?
Large sound stages..?? whole new ball game.

I went to watch EBS_freak last night and he played my Ray5 for the first set because I had taken it along to set the intonation up on his peterson tuner after I did a string gauge change. Although the action was way too high for him I listened from as far away as possible to my bass and it sounded great, Also I can now slap properly, play chords, tap and play in time! I wish........:)

I was amazed a couple of years ago when I heard another player using my Schroeder 1212L.

The lows sounded massive and I always thought this cab was a bit shy on the lows. As well as that, I was listening from the back of a large room and the volume was huge. It was a good experience and gave me a lot more confidence in my sound.

It was a demonstration of what I already knew - you sound different out front!

Frank.