Why become a member? ×

Unexpected windfall

Grand Wazoo

Came home tonight after work, and found this envelope in the mailbox from HMRC, I thought sh*t, what now? I've done all my tax return and declared every expense, what might they want?

So I open the envelop and my jaw dropped at the sight of a new bass inside the envelope. No, seriously I am not kidding you! See for yourselves, see? It's a new bass, or Tech 21 new VT Bass amp head!

Turns out they've charged me too much tax so here's a nice rebate (read new bass) from the taxman. :)

My Nigerian banker is processing mine this week.

Don't worry, Happy Jack - I think it's the system out there which causes delays. They don't work weekdays, or ever, or something.

My rebate of $14,500,500 should be with me shortly, including some funds from my poor banker's uncle, who died in a plane crash whilst escaping the evil empire.

I had one yesterday - for about £29. Still, can't complain, as this month I also received two £25 premium bond prizes - first time I've won anything from them in years. So it's been quite a good month so far. Must remember to renew my lottery ticket for Wednesday, as I seem to be on a roll!

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='1128062' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:23 AM']I had one yesterday - for about £29. Still, can't complain, as this month I also received two £25 premium bond prizes - first time I've won anything from them in years. So it's been quite a good month so far. Must remember to renew my lottery ticket for Wednesday, as I seem to be on a roll![/quote]
Keep this up and you might just scrape the magic hundred! That's about one tuning key on a US Standard isn't it? :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1127735' date='Feb 14 2011, 10:15 PM']Came home tonight after work, and found this envelope in the mailbox from HMRC, I thought sh*t, what now? I've done all my tax return and declared every expense, what might they want?

So I open the envelop and my jaw dropped at the sight of a new bass inside the envelope. No, seriously I am not kidding you! See for yourselves, see? It's a new bass, or Tech 21 new VT Bass amp head!

Turns out they've charged me too much tax so here's a nice rebate (read new bass) from the taxman. :)[/quote]

So how much is that after tax? :)

[quote name='sprocketflup' post='1128440' date='Feb 15 2011, 03:20 PM']So how much is that after tax? :)[/quote]

There ain't no after tax! that's what I got for them taxing me too much over the financial year April 2010 to April 2011, that rebate it is 100% mine. I have a nice salary, but my job is one of huge responsibilty. The funny thing is I never noticed I was getting taxed so much, so the taxman must be onto a good scam. :) now that is a job i'd like in my next life. :lol:

Nice one Fran!

I had one of those yesterday as well, Happy Days!!

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1128644' date='Feb 15 2011, 05:54 PM']There ain't no after tax! that's what I got for them taxing me too much over the financial year April 2010 to April 2011, that rebate it is 100% mine. I have a nice salary, but my job is one of huge responsibilty. The funny thing is I never noticed I was getting taxed so much, so the taxman must be onto a good scam. :) now that is a job i'd like in my next life. :)[/quote]

Check your letter again though, mine was for tax year 2009-2010, so yours may be as well.

I had a feeling something was due, as I'd been made redundant in 2009, but had forgotten about it. I'm pretty sure there'll be another on coming my way this time next year as well!!