Why become a member? ×

Who do you love to play with?

janmaat

Hiya,

I don't really know why 99% of bands consist of B/G/Dr/Voc, there are so many cool instruments around.

I recently formed a trio with electric fiddle and electric cello.
I really would love to have a xylophone in my rock band.

So my question is, what is your "dream linup" in instruments, and why?

One of the reasons I'd love to form a post rock band is so you can use whatever you want without scorn from people "You want to use a theremin? but we're a punk band!!"

Some instruments I'd love to have in a band situation:
Hammond B3 with Leslie cab
Theremin
Various noise making boxes (eg. [url="http://www.noiseguide.com/product_info/sirkut_electronics_synth_noise_box_snb"]Sirkut Electronics Synth Noise Box[/url])
Cello

Reasons?

I just love the sounds the instruments make. I could listen to a single low note on a driven B3 through a slowly rotating Leslie cab for hours

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='janmaat' post='1121249' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:32 PM']Hiya,

I don't really know why 99% of bands consist of B/G/Dr/Voc, there are so many cool instruments around.

So my question is, what is your "dream linup" in instruments, and why?[/quote]
I just started playing a bit of Microkorg, glockenspiel and percussion in Kit's band. Great fun. We have two exceptional violinists, drums, textural guitar, piano, and bass. It's a great lineup as is.

I love horns and I'd love to play in a line up with a big, beautifully orchestrated horn section and lots of percussion. Harp is lovely too, but sounds too polite most of the time.

Mbira is a funky instrument.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1121249' date='Feb 9 2011, 07:32 AM']Hiya,

So my question is, what is your "dream linup" in instruments, and why?[/quote]

My dream lineup is the one I'm in: violin, bass, piano. We cover several Wayne Shorter tunes and the violin catches the voice of the saxophone, you might say; same human quality. Because the violin has such a range of tonalities, we can cover quite a variety of music.

I love the thought of being in a band with non conventional instrumentation. I love the natural synthesis of sound that occurs when you pair up certain instruments, flute and clarinet for instance combine and become something greater than the individual tone of the instrument.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1121267' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:45 PM']One of the reasons I'd love to form a post rock band is so you can use whatever you want without scorn from people "You want to use a theremin? but we're a punk band!!"[/quote]

I play in Psychobilly/Punk and we have no problem with using a theremin...

If the guys can play I don't mind what instrument they play.
I don't know why so many bands go for a two guitar/bass/drums line up though. You get so much more versatility and texture from a good keys player.
I do like playing with a good horn section and a good percussionist(in addition to a drummer,not instead of). A good percussionist (Latin) will add just the right amount of spice to enhance what's going on. It's great.

I'd love to start a kind of Blues/Soul band with a drummer, percussionist, bass, 2 Lap steel guitars, acoustic guitar, electric organ and a harmonica player. It'd be the wick. Ooh, and a female and male vocalist to lead, with a barbershop quartet adding backing vocals.

Truckstop

love that track with the theremin.

isnt it just a shame that as a bass player, one must play bass all the time - i mean, in bands where i was playing something in the upper register, one can swap much more easily ie. play a uke instead of guitar, a harmoica, ... there are certainly many bass players who in fact are multi-instrumentalists. or is there anyone here who would swap bass with somebody else in the band during a set?

I love - acoustic guitars (pref two of with capos!), horns (incl baritone) Hammond Organ, piano (not a keyboardist masquerading as one if you know what I mean!), percussion, pedal/lap steel.
This is of course as well as a couple of well sorted electric guitarists (who can play great rhythm and the occasional tasteful solo!), a great vocalist(e), a groovy drummer and oh yeah, ME!

Don't want much do I?

[quote name='bartelby' post='1121267' date='Feb 9 2011, 12:45 PM']One of the reasons I'd love to form a post rock band is so you can use whatever you want without scorn from people "You want to use a theremin? but we're a punk band!!"[/quote]

omg don't mention the theramin. I'm in a running guerrilla war with our guitarist (nice chap, it must be said) who is determined to infiltrate that infernal machine into our set.

I've threatened to quit. It's me or the ghost. :)

To return to the OP, I would dearly love to have an acoustic pianist in our little combo. Nothing quite compares. After i chop his left hand off of course.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1121377' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:02 PM']isnt it just a shame that as a bass player, one must play bass all the time - i mean, in bands where i was playing something in the upper register, one can swap much more easily ie. play a uke instead of guitar, a harmoica, ... there are certainly many bass players who in fact are multi-instrumentalists. or is there anyone here who would swap bass with somebody else in the band during a set?[/quote]

That's another reason that I like playing with a good keys player. If I am soloing or playing in the upper register,
the keys can hold down the low end. I don't like fannying about,swapping instruments so I'd much rather do it this way-
Plus,synth bass is cool.

[quote name='janmaat' post='1121377' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:02 PM']love that track with the theremin.

isnt it just a shame that as a bass player, one must play bass all the time - i mean, in bands where i was playing something in the upper register, one can swap much more easily ie. play a uke instead of guitar, a harmoica, ... there are certainly many bass players who in fact are multi-instrumentalists. or is there anyone here who would swap bass with somebody else in the band during a set?[/quote]

I used to play in a band that swapped instruments during a song.
It was a seven strong folk band and it took longer to choreograph that bit than it did to learn the damn tune in the first place.
Great fun to do though. :)

[quote name='janmaat' post='1121377' date='Feb 9 2011, 02:02 PM']or is there anyone here who would swap bass with somebody else in the band during a set?[/quote]

I'm trying to get a couple of my mates to get off their arses and form a band where we don't stick to the same instrument all the way through the set.

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1121512' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:03 PM']dream band to play with - guitars, vibraphone, drums, bass, choir, string quartet, brass quintet.
reality - guitars, vibraphone, drums, bass string quartet, brass quintet.

all we're missing is a choir :)[/quote]

"...Tubular Bells..." :)

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1121522' date='Feb 9 2011, 04:14 PM']we could very nearly do an accurate cover :)[/quote]

I found it hard enough to remember everyones names in a 7 piece band - most of them were called "Erm..?".
Only way I'd stand a chance in your band would be to have them all barcoded! :)