Why become a member? ×

Tenuous Claim To Fame

Thunderthumbs

Claire (I think that was her name), bassist from Hepburn and various session work came to see one of my bands (friend of a friend) and we had a chat after we'd played.

We were doing some recording in London recently and shared a canteen with The Uzis (who none of us even realised until someone told us) and Dizzee Rascal was rehearsing in the same complex.

[quote name='mep' post='774658' date='Mar 14 2010, 08:31 PM']We were called Stereotonics. We were based in South Devon and played quite a few places over the south west and wales (of course). The student scene was the best. This was between 1999 & 2002. There was another band with the same name around the same time. They even played at a local venue in Paignton once which I went to. You weren't in the band were you?[/quote]

Yes I was in that one :)

I was with them for about 12-18 months around '04-'05....they're still really busy.
The Half Moon in Paignton right?

[quote name='Doddy' post='774864' date='Mar 15 2010, 01:43 AM']Yes I was in that one :)

I was with them for about 12-18 months around '04-'05....they're still really busy.
The Half Moon in Paignton right?[/quote]

Yes it was The Half Moon. Good gig. Well met after all that time. We wrapped up our tribute band after a couple of years and the others went on to do an original project (which didn't get anywhere). I've just been busy with the local cover scene and doing a bit of teaching since.

[quote name='owen' post='706079' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:59 PM']My wife sat next to Frank Carson on a train and had a lovely chat with him. My wife is pretty unaware of lots of things so had no idea who he was and what he did even after he explained that he was in entertainment and on his way to a gig. How we laughed in the next carriage.[/quote]

Dat's a crarcker !!! :)

I recall someone on TV telling a story about Brian Clough (the highly self-regarding football manager widely referred to as "old big head" in the media).

Apparently he was a big Frank Sinatra fan and when he visited Las Vegas he nagged 'his people' to arrange a meeting with his hero. After much pestering and behind-the-scenes negotiation, a meeting between Sinatra and Clough was eventually arranged. Anyway, they duly met and Clough was overjoyed. Sinatra, of course, had never heard of Clough but was polite enough to humour his admirer.

For years afterwards, Clough would retell the story whenever he had the opportunity: "You know Frank Sinatra? He met me once . . . . "

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='776571' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:50 PM']The Googlewack one.[/quote]

Boll0cks should have put one of these in :) , as a reference to his search for all those other Dave Gormans.

Your job is: Personal Security for Famous People

OR

Celeb Pap Photo Journalist

• 4 months later...

My bass tutor's strap for his bass used to belong to Pino Palladino. He (bass tutor) used to house share with a guy who used to drum with Mr Palladino and said drummer had no need for the strap the he had come by. I can see why Pino discarded it though, it fell apart this evening. :)

Now if that's not tenuous, well......

More tenuous claims part 2.

My Nan was Tommy Steels cleaner.

Mrs LEB has snogged Ron Wood! Damaged goods but I'll let her off.

I was once 'going out with' a woman who was also 'going out with' George Best at the same time. Not a Miss World sadly but tasty none the less. Luckily no trips to the clinic were required either.

Sold Norman Watt Roy some Elites bass strings once, he was playing the Witchwood with Wilco...Bloody nice guy.

Peter Green, Gary Moore, Graham Coxon, Noel Gallagher, Nick Oliveri (Queens Of The Stone Age), and Nick McCabe (The Verve)...loads more, but suppose working in a guitar shop helps.

Met David Beckham and Posh a couple of times while working for Topman/Topshop, we used to GIVE them free clothes!

Jordan came in once, midget dog...long before she got WORSE!>?

Met loads of nice famous people, through a few mates who are actor types and bar owners...but some of them have stayed mates, so i'm not going into it...

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Toddy' post='908703' date='Jul 28 2010, 10:18 PM']Ive snogged Barbra Windsor !!!!! :rolleyes: :) :lol:[/quote]

How could you stoop so low! :lol:

A very short friend of mine met her when she visited his workplace and they got chatting because they're about the same height. Then a few weeks later he bumped into her again at a restaurant.

Then a couple of years later he was shopping at Brent Cross, suddenly Babs came running over and said "Remember me?" So now he tells people [b]he[/b] gets recognised by Barbara Windsor. (Also my step mum went to school with her, and still refers to her as that dreadful Deakes girl!)

I was at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford in the late 90s for a Christmas do, went to the gents and Vic and Bob were in there. It was only afterwards I thought it was strange they even go to the toilet together.

Only music claim to fame, I was once in a band that had The Kays supporting them... they went on to become Kula Shaker, we went on to be....... no one.

Edited by Fat Rich

Had a chat with Lemmy after a Glasgow gig once, about signature amps & Marshall, long story short, a few years later I was invited down to Marshall to "test" his new amps for him before they were shipped out to Germany to catch up with their tour.

Around the same time I had a phone call from Don Powell and went to one of their Scottish gigs. The band, crew & myself were in the hotel bar after the gig; Don doesn't drink but Dave Hill is a sump, asked me due to living in Scotland for so long about malts and then proceeded to get the rounds in & we all got royally wrecked on whisky.

Went to a benefit gig at Hammy Odeon a few years ago, got there too early so went to the nearest pub & Andy Scott of The Sweet was in so ended up having a good ol' chin-wag & drinks with them.

Went to see Steve Cropper in 2008 & found we were in the same hotel. Had a drink & a chat with him. Very nice guy, incredibly modest of all that he's done. Spoke a lot about the recent loss of his mate Bo Diddley.

..... and with apologies to those who have seen it before; le piece de resistence! this is now mine .......