Why become a member? ×

Is this how to ship a Bass ?

Dusty

Yeah guys, the text is there. Case included - thus it's part of the lot, regardless of how prominent or not it might be. Thus I think the use of the dispute system is justified, and I'm hoping it will drive out an equitable outcome.

I'm hoping it will stay civil. I think, looking at the other thread, some people have been too quick to throw out comments - and I think some will come to regret them.

I read the ad as saying that the case is included in the sale and unless otherwise stated, would expect it to arrive in good condition as well. I have sold a few guitars and basses on the bay and always packaged them well but then again, I work for a courier co. and know what a bunch of ***** they are. :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='1117098' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:46 PM']I think that Hiscox hardcase, that my custom ACG bass came in, wasn't even 'sticky taped' at all, not to mention that bass lied loose in the case, as a result, bass was damaged, thank god, it wasn't neck or body, but preamp knob, but ACG pre's aren't the cheapest, right..[/quote]

Hi
I would just like to point out that the ACG bass was not sent by AC Guitars it was bought second hand. I take as much care as possible to make sure the basses I send out arrive in the same condition I send them out in.

Cheers
Alan

It's probably a good thing you cleared that up, I could see how that may have been unclear :)

Back to the OP. Personally I'd be shocked that the bass wasn't better protected, and you're very lucky that it wasn't damaged. But I would also have seen the case as 'extra', or as just shipping item. I fully understand your assumption as it wasn't totally clear. Hopefully you will still be able to resolve the situation in a positive way, considering you're both BCers, most of which are fab people from what i've seen!

[quote name='Dusty' post='1116783' date='Feb 5 2011, 06:09 PM'][b]Would you ship this expensive Pro Level bass via Parcel Force (£28.00) with just a bit of 'sticky tape' across the catches of the case ?[/b][/quote]
First, I wouldn't ship any bass, pro level or piece of sh1t, with only sticky tape round the case. It needs to be boxed properly.

Second, I read the advert (as you report it) as clearly including the case in the sale. However, even if the case were a 'give away' merely for protecting the bass during shipping I'd still expect proper packing.

Third, as long as the bass is fine, I'd probably drop any complaint about the case and the packing as not worth the hassle. I'd satisfy myself with knowing I would write the advert more clearly and pack the bass properly.

Edited by EssentialTension

I think of included as meaning "in addition", strings are usually included in bass sales, I'd expect to have to change them though. The case wasn't described in the sale other than saying that there was one. I don't think there's been any deception involved.

If you payed for the bass, then you got what you payed for.

If the case was important to you, you probably should've asked about it.

If it of any help I bought an old case similar to that in a music shop a year or so back for £20 - so you are disputing a £20ish case.

Having read both sides.

seller: sells bass. Sees a had case as a good box to post item in. Posts item. It gets to you fine. Box is a bit squished.

Buyer: buys bass. is told it will be shipped in a hard case. gets bass in hard case. bass fine but case damaged as was used as packaging.

Has the seller been daft? well yes, interparcel would probably cost them half the amount. Also most couriers seem to want items boxed in double layer cardboard box. the packaging isn't the best... has he done anything wrong? from his point of view he's done exactly what he said he would and his packaging has been justified by the fact the bass got to you ok.

I think in this case there's been nothing wrong done, it's just a different expectations, you got a damaged old scruffy £20 case rather than an old scruffy £20 case....

Hi,

it seems we meet at last. I am the guy who sold you that lovely bass.

Can i say that i totally didn't mean to mislead you with the sale and i might well be an inexperienced seller. I am truly sorry that you are dissapointed with the sale. This was never my intention. I have sold a few basses, posted them in their cases and this has never been an issue before. Perhaps naively i believed that the case was adequate protection.

I have been a bit around the world playing bass and must be very lucky as the majority of time my basses have survived well enough in bass cases. That said, i am looking at this completely differently as you are a BC'er and not some idiot trying to rip me off.

I am happy to send you £20 towards the cost of a new case. I just bought a new case for a jazz bass off of Thomann and it was £43.

How does that sound?

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1117101' date='Feb 5 2011, 09:47 PM']The seller says the case has been used to store the bass and is included in the sale. If there isn't some further description, for example saying the case is "tatty but servicable", then surely the buyer is entitled to assume the case is in good condition and fit to be used as long term storage for the base. Like they're entitled to assume the bass is in good, playable condition unless stated otherwise. Buyers usually bid more for a bass that includes a case than one that doesn't, so it's not a nice bonus, it's part of the sale.[/quote]
This is the root of the problem I feel, and the sellers poor communication in the ad.

There was no description of the case and it may have been completely knackered even before it left the seller. To assume it's condition just isn't good enough, as there's no knowing what people may assume. If the bass had gold plated hardware would it be fair to assume the case also had gold plated hardware? Personally, if an ebay auction doesn't say an item is in good working order I'll ask. For all we know the case may have arrived in exactly the same condition as it left the seller, and to assume it was fit for day to day use without asking was an error on the part of the OP in my humble opinion.

Having said that, the case was specifically included in the sale even though there is the suggestion it was to be used for the shipping (and it was just the merest suggestion). As such it should have had adequate protection.

As for compensation, I've no idea what the OP has in mind - the cost of a new case could conceivably cover a wide range of price points. If the case was damaged in shipping compensation should be due, but how much that should be is a bit of a minefield in itself. The amount to cover a tatty unserviceable case, or to cover the kind of case the buyer feels it deserves (and had presumably assumed he was getting). And that's even when you get to the point of establishing what damage was actually done by the courier - if any.

A thorny issue which serves to demonstrate that simple assumptions can cause a lot of grief and upset.

Oh, I'm indeed sorry for not outlining that - the accident happened when dealing with a secondhand seller, [b]not [/b]with Alan or ACGuitars at all..

cheers Alan
Laimis

[quote name='skelf' post='1117211' date='Feb 6 2011, 01:54 AM']Hi
I would just like to point out that the ACG bass was not sent by AC Guitars it was bought second hand. I take as much care as possible to make sure the basses I send out arrive in the same condition I send them out in.

Cheers
Alan[/quote]

[quote name='Faithless' post='1117098' date='Feb 5 2011, 11:46 PM']I think that Hiscox hardcase, that my custom ACG bass came in, wasn't even 'sticky taped' at all, not to mention that bass lied loose in the case, as a result, bass was damaged, thank god, it wasn't neck or body, but preamp knob, but ACG pre's aren't the cheapest, right..

I guess these situations like that comes from either inexperience or pure ignorance.

When I packed my beloved Ibby Prestige for shipping, I prepared to a level to probably withstand an atomic bomb with all that sticky tape and tightening straps on the case, and it's not because buyer insisted it, that's just a matter responsibility..[/quote]

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='BottomE' post='1117252' date='Feb 6 2011, 12:40 AM']Hi,

Can i say that i totally didn't mean to mislead you with the sale and i might well be an inexperienced seller. I am truly sorry that you are dissapointed with the sale. This was never my intention. I have sold a few basses, posted them in their cases and this has never been an issue before. Perhaps naively i believed that the case was adequate protection.

I have been a bit around the world playing bass and must be very lucky as the majority of time my basses have survived well enough in bass cases. That said, i am looking at this completely differently as you are a BC'er and not some idiot trying to rip me off.

I am happy to send you £20 towards the cost of a new case. I just bought a new case for a jazz bass off of Thomann and it was £43.

How does that sound?[/quote]

Speaking as a neutral in this, I think this is a reasonable offer from the seller and probably best accepted.
Shake hands and move on.
A lesson learned by everybody here.

Steve.

Pm'd :)

[quote name='Protium' post='1116850' date='Feb 5 2011, 07:05 PM']A hard case provides more protection than a cardboard box. The bass has turned up in described condition. I can't see what you want to seek compensation for, other than to try and rip off the seller.[/quote]
Sorry but you're wrong. It depends on the case too. Do you know what Parcelfarce's hoppers do to packages? You need a proper box and LOTs of shock absorption, ie. bubble wrap.

The seller made a stupid and damn lazy decision to ship the bass like that. The case does not look like it could come close to handling the punishment Parecelforce would mete out to it.

/thread

[quote name='patch006' post='1117769' date='Feb 6 2011, 03:37 PM']Strong words, don't they have moderators on here!!!![/quote]

Indeed they do.

However if I deleted every post in the two threads discussing this sale that stated the seller, or buyer was anything but a sensible, genuine person there would be no thread left. Language has been 'reasonable' and as the situation looks to be resolving itself now I trust no more harsh words will be thrown around and we can all leave it at that...

... Or we'll break out the whoop-ass!

[quote name='patch006' post='1117769' date='Feb 6 2011, 03:37 PM']Strong words, don't they have moderators on here!!!![/quote]
Yeah when saw that i thought my wife had started posting on Basschat :)

Anyways BC'ers will have to find another thread to release angst as the buyer and i have reached an amicable settlement.