Why become a member? ×

Importance?

Marvin

[quote name='Marvin' post='1115817' date='Feb 4 2011, 07:52 PM']Which member of a band is pivotol?

Without this person the band may as well just pack up and go home.

I'll admit I'm still undecided at the moment. :)[/quote]

Got to be the voice. An unaccompanied voice will reach more people's soul than any other instrument (IMHO)

Steve

Edited by StevieC

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1115822' date='Feb 4 2011, 07:59 PM']I thought you had trouser area problems for a minute.[/quote]
:)

Work colleague after listening to a radio report turns to the rest of us and says

" I'm taking up smoking! Apparently it makes you importent ."

You had to be there really :)

I'm not sure why [i]singer [/i]is getting all the votes - there is such a thing as instrumental music (some jazz, bluegrass, folk, etc.). I'd rather watch a band with no singer than one without a drummer (knowing how badly most bands keep time without one! :) )

I think that the drummer, or rather the quality of the drummer, is pivotal because: A bad drummer can make a good band sound terrible, but as long as the band has a good drummer the other musicians can usually get away with it.

There are exceptions, of course!

+100 on LawrenceH's comment about monitor engineers. A good monitor engineer is even rarer than a good woman, and should be treated even better! :)

[quote name='Stuee' post='1115940' date='Feb 4 2011, 10:03 PM']I'm not sure why [i]singer [/i]is getting all the votes - there is such a thing as instrumental music (some jazz, bluegrass, folk, etc.). I'd rather watch a band with no singer than one without a drummer (knowing how badly most bands keep time without one! :) )

I think that the drummer, or rather the quality of the drummer, is pivotal because: A bad drummer can make a good band sound terrible, but as long as the band has a good drummer the other musicians can usually get away with it.

There are exceptions, of course!

+100 on LawrenceH's comment about monitor engineers. A good monitor engineer is even rarer than a good woman, and should be treated even better! :)[/quote]
Much as I'd like to say the bassist I've got to agree with Stuee's comments - the rhythm section provide the feel and pulse of the band - IMO this defines the complexion of the band. Look at how reggae/soul bands are held together..

I voted for the band member who's worth their weight in gold..

Where's the piano/keys in all of this?? :)

Anyway. They all rely on each other, I could probably hash together an argument for why the bass is the most important but it would only be as valid as someone else's argument that the guitar is more important. Realistically I'd require most of the choices to place together a good band (including the triangle), and what's more, good players behind the instruments (including the triangle).

[quote name='risingson' post='1116016' date='Feb 4 2011, 11:20 PM']Where's the piano/keys in all of this?? :)

Anyway. They all rely on each other, I could probably hash together an argument for why the bass is the most important but it would only be as valid as someone else's argument that the guitar is more important. Realistically I'd require most of the choices to place together a good band (including the triangle), and what's more, good players behind the instruments (including the triangle).[/quote]
Oh arse! I put keys in the first poll but it didn't appear when I posted the thread, I've forgotten to put them back in :)

My vote goes to drums - having used stand in drummers for a few months and played in another band with a lazy one last year it's really brought it home.
However I do remember reading a Paul McCartney interview once. He said something along the lines that he had been a guitarist and reluctantly moved onto bass but took to it when he realised that he could control the song, pushing the tempo or reigning it in when necessary. Mind he did play with Ringo so somebody had to set the pace :)

I really can't reach any conclusion on this to be honest. There's amazing instrumental pieces I like that work fine without vocals. There's songs that consist of a bloke playing a guitar while singing that are brilliant without other instruments. There are songs without guitar that are great. Ultimately, it depends on the song and what atmosphere the writer/musicians are trying to convey within it. For me, a lot of what I get from songs comes from listening to how all the instruments work together.

Though I voted Triangle because any song it gets used in instantly becomes amazing :)

Edited by the_skezz

For me it's either the drummer or the vocalist and it's not easy to decide between the two.

In a purely instrumental context where there are no vocals then I'd say the drummer without doubt.

However, in a band that has a vocalist, I'm always reminded of a band I saw recently where the instrumentalists (we shall for now assume the voice isn't a instrument as such, contentious I know but it makes things easier) were all really tight in the main due to a good drummer. Yet it all fell on its arse as soon as the singer opened his mouth, absolutely dreadful.

Conversely I was talking to a guitarist recently who said that their vocalist was spot on and the drummer absolutely dire but the crowd absolutely loved the band.

For me as the bass player it's the drummer and at the end of last year I practiced a couple of times with a really good drummer. The instant he started playing I had a huge smile on my face. As a member of an audience though then it's probably the singer.

Edited by Marvin

It is possible to have a great band where no one is that outstanding as an individual, but have a band of outstanding talent and one weak link to mess it up

But if I have to answer the question, a decent front person, be it either a great singer or vocalist, is the most important

Of course unless its instrumental :)

Its allways gonna be a singer who "makes" a band.
think of your dream line up of musicians/players,... whoever in the world you like, living or dead ....really anyone!!.....got that in mind........?...good.... now add a god awful singer, now matter how well intentioned, ....got that sound in your head?,...no...think really bad... think more Xfactor throw away...?......NOW you have it, ......?
gig next week landlord?
Return gig anywhere? ever?

I dont think so

Impotence? Gotta be the guitarist . Importance? As mentioned already most punters would say singer.
Last couple of gigs I did, it seemed that the opinion was that me and mr. Drums who were getting most of the attention.
If mr vocals is flat and mr. guitar forgets his capo, then that's understandable I guess. :)