Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1118426' date='Feb 7 2011, 12:27 AM']:) not looking good then[/quote]

I don't know if you'll be interested in this but I've done it before with good results.

Instead of a lot of work replacing the pick guard, buy some fablon in the colour that you want, put it on the table sticky side up and place the pick guard on it. Then use a very sharp craft knife to cut round the top of the pickguard. That's how I made this one

Hoping to get Sonic Sue back tomorrow with it's new Squier P bass neck (courtesy of BC's own Jon Kemo). Nothing wrong with the old neck, just the profile was a bit chunky for me (wanted something more like my Rays and Status).

When the torty plate comes in from the BassDoc phase one of the transformation will be complete.

Quite like this modding plus it's considerably less expensive than buying and selling MMs

[quote name='edstraker123' post='1219234' date='May 3 2011, 09:50 PM']Just swapped a maple neck for a rosewood on my 'blue' Ryder and it has made a huge difference to how low I can get the action. Anybody else with multiple Ryder necks noticed a difference ?
Ed.[/quote]

I did the reverse, a maple one into my white/rosewood Ryder #3 (a few posts above), and didn't notice anything... but then it was turned fretless almost immediately, so... I don't know.
I notice the profile is very different 'though, maybe the rosewood one is marginally "taller" but enough to be noticeable?

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1220948' date='May 5 2011, 12:49 PM']I'm stoked, my white Ryder was delivered this morning.

Now for the question. Does anyone happen to have a maple Ryder neck they would like to either sell me or swap for my rosewood one?[/quote]

If you're ever up near Blackpool i'm game for swapsies!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1222964' date='May 7 2011, 10:52 AM']The bass has really grown on me, I rather wish id picked up one of the blue strats or teles now, don't suppose anyone has one going?[/quote]
I have both a strat and a tele for sale if you fancy them? Restrung with EB Slinkies, will sell for £60 each.

Woo! Mine has arrived (thanks Tom), neck traded (thanks Ste), pick guard fablon-ed, pickup covers changed, and that's it!

I personally think it looks great. Sounds and plays ok... I can't give it much more than an ok, but for the price, definite bargain.

Edit: Ah crap I just broke a string. Never done that before.

Obligatory picture...

Edited by Evil Undead

• 3 weeks later...

Today I used the Sue Ryder fretless instead of the OLP, for the Pearl Jam stuff.
The OLP has a Norsdtrand MM2 pickup and the 2EQ preamp from my Stingray. D'Addario EXL170 roundwounds.
The P-bass has DiMarzio model P, and that's it. Shielded with copper foil etc. D'Addario nylon tapewounds.

The P-bass sounded huge!!!
I'm sure it's a combination of the strings and the inherent P-bass fatness... but whatever I try with a P-bass, it seems to work.

I can't believe until a few months ago I avoided Precision basses, and it took tehse cheap Sue Ryder ones for me to pay attention.
So simple, and so good. With any sort of flatwounds... it's the roundwound sound with tone control wide open that I neevr liked. But put flats on a P-bass... and it's a beauty.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1229568' date='May 13 2011, 03:01 AM']Does anyone happen to have a black pick guard that fits a Sue Ryder bass that they would be willing to sell to me?[/quote]

Have a word with the Bass Doc (Howard), he did me a great Torty pg for a great price.

I cant believe Im even saying this, but my SR P has been gigged three times and earnt three times more than I paid for it over the past 4 weeks.

My Dad, who isnt a bass player, but understand quality and aesthetics, thought it was an absolute bargain.

If these were £180 new or so, Id still say it was a good bass.

I did think about selling, but I see no point in upgrading a £60 backup to a £300 or more Squier in the scenario im in.

Really like it, and I know the tone isnt as good as my American Standard P, but it does the job.

My band think it sounds pretty damn good.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1253764' date='Jun 2 2011, 11:54 AM']I cant believe Im even saying this, but my SR P has been gigged three times and earnt three times more than I paid for it over the past 4 weeks.

My Dad, who isnt a bass player, but understand quality and aesthetics, thought it was an absolute bargain.

If these were £180 new or so, Id still say it was a good bass.

I did think about selling, but I see no point in upgrading a £60 backup to a £300 or more Squier in the scenario im in.

Really like it, and I know the tone isnt as good as my American Standard P, but it does the job.

My band think it sounds pretty damn good.[/quote]

Exactly, I'm experiencing the same £60 new to £700 2nd hand is a no brainer and it'll cost less than half the Squier when both are upgraded AND!! It's alder maple and rosewood! I love mine, play it through a Roland Cube 30 at practice and its a fine (nuthin' fancy) P bass :)

Well my Susie has definitely had more use than I expected her to get.

Here's a pic of her last weekend at an open air gig.

The bass has been altered a bit; the neck has been replaced with one from a Squier Affinity P bass and the bass now sports a nice Torty pg from our very own Howard. Not sure what other mods might be done, the tuning pegs will need upgrading at some point and maybe the pup, but no real rush.

BTW, the 'pink' precision behind me was the bassist's from the band after mine.....apparently it used to belong to Alan Jones (of the Shadows), I was careful not to walk back into it!

Edited by martthebass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyones interested in replacing the truss rod in thier Ryder neck read on.

I didnt want to ruin the finger board after all that hard work so I went in through the back! The skunk stripe is cosmetic. No suprise there lol. So I set it up in a CNC and machined out following the stripe using a 10mm bit to a depth of 6mm. This was just enough to kiss the existing truss rod. You also have to go past the stripe by about 10mm at the head so you can pull the rod out. Its a standard £10 9x6mm jobby. pics below of the process and after. Note: This only applies to a Rosewood Fingerboard neck I believe the Maple FB necks are a different shape.

rod removed and slot 10mm passed original

body end

new rod fitted

finished neck with ebony insert left over from Rosie's finger board

That is all

A

Edited by apa