Why become a member? ×

Sue Ryder Bass Arrived

tom1946

[quote name='tom1946' post='1268506' date='Jun 14 2011, 12:22 PM']This is mine, last one I own.
It has a bassdoc pickguard and a Wizard stealth 51 pickup, it sure rattles the windows.

[/quote]

I keep looking at it. What a beauty.

[quote name='apa' post='1288181' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:42 PM']If anyones interested in replacing the truss rod in thier Ryder neck read on.

I didnt want to ruin the finger board after all that hard work so I went in through the back! The skunk stripe is cosmetic. No suprise there lol. So I set it up in a CNC and machined out following the stripe using a 10mm bit to a depth of 6mm. This was just enough to kiss the existing truss rod. You also have to go past the stripe by about 10mm at the head so you can pull the rod out. Its a standard £10 9x6mm jobby. pics below of the process and after.

rod removed and slot 10mm passed original

body end

new rod fitted

finished neck with ebony insert left over from Rosie's finger board

That is all

A[/quote]

You are a scary individual, talking about brain surgery as though it was as complicated as changing strings :)
(jealous, very, I am).

What was the reason to change the rod?

[quote name='mcnach' post='1288237' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:24 PM']You are a scary individual, talking about brain surgery as though it was as complicated as changing strings :lol:
(jealous, very, I am).

What was the reason to change the rod?[/quote]

Basically it was shagged. The alan slot was rounded off and it moved about an inch back and forth in the neck. It came like that but I didnt bother to do it before the transformation. When I got it out the nut wouldnt turn at all so thats why it was knackered. I think mine was a return. Bought when they were thin on the ground! It was fine for a bit as is but gradually the action was getting a bit high to say the least. I should mention that the slot was machined 10mm wide so you can extract the rod and nut end. Thats also why you have to go past the original stripe so you hit the 10mm cavity for the nut and have enough room to lever it out. You dont actually need a CNC to do this just a mill or router.
The trickiest bit was making the insert and machining it down to 10mm wide (actually 10.2mm for a snug fit). That ebony is horrid to work with. Its like charcoal not wood!!! :)

btw hows the ebony thumb rest coming on?? :)

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' post='1288402' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:45 PM']Basically it was shagged. The alan slot was rounded off and it moved about an inch back and forth in the neck. It came like that but I didnt bother to do it before the transformation. When I got it out the nut wouldnt turn at all so thats why it was knackered. I think mine was a return. Bought when they were thin on the ground! It was fine for a bit as is but gradually the action was getting a bit high to say the least. I should mention that the slot was machined 10mm wide so you can extract the rod and nut end. Thats also why you have to go past the original stripe so you hit the 10mm cavity for the nut and have enough room to lever it out. You dont actually need a CNC to do this just a mill or router.
The trickiest bit was making the insert and machining it down to 10mm wide (actually 10.2mm for a snug fit). That ebony is horrid to work with. Its like charcoal not wood!!! :)

btw hows the ebony thumb rest coming on?? :)

A[/quote]

whoa, that sounded even more scary! :lol:

The thumbrest, yeah... the ebony piece looks at me from the desk in a recriminatory fashion. I haven't yet done anything with it... :D
One day, one day...

[quote name='mcnach' post='1295110' date='Jul 6 2011, 07:57 PM']whoa, that sounded even more scary! :)

The thumbrest, yeah... the ebony piece looks at me from the desk in a recriminatory fashion. I haven't yet done anything with it... :lol:
One day, one day...[/quote]

That would be a paper weight then! :)

A

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sooooooo

Its been exactly one year that Tom1946 told us all about the now infamous RP-1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUE :drinks:

It now begs the question: Where are they now? Still gigging it? Still modding it? Still keeping it under the bed as an investment? Im guessing that since the winter has been so mild alot of them are still on the wood pile?

My two are still going strong. The modded fretless is played regularly and still gives a nice sound. Im still a happy bunny. The other stock one is still, erm, under the bed accumilating for my retirement.

A

I had two, sold both locally to new players. Perfect intro bass, and quite well made. Awful frets though...I told them to use nickels or flats as the stock strings ate away at the frets incredibly incredibly fast!

I'd like another still...but guessing that's it now.

Can't believe its been a year. I ordered one when I moved home (temporarily) and moving was a HUGE mistake. Can't wait to move back to Newcastle.

Still got mine and play it daily. I've not done anything to it for ages since I changed the pup and the neck. I still need to change the wiring and possibly the pickguard, I think black would look nice. In two minds about this as the inverted snob in me quite likes the fact that it's origin still shows through. It's a great keeper as a back up and plays and sounds just right.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:71608]

Still my practice bass in daily-ish use, EB Super slinkys on, other than a tweak of the bridge for string height and intonation, nothing else done. Plays well, records well. It seems churlish to complain . . . but the strap that Sue supplied is rubbish, and about to fall apart at one of the business ends!!

Got mine as a temporary measure. Use a Minotaur vintage strap with it. It's got an EMG Select fitted. Play it daily, learnt a 30-song set on it, auditioned with it, played several gigs with it, learnt more songs for another audition with it tomorrow night. I've got a shedful of goodies to mod it with when my custom P arrives. Going to replace everything on it apart from the pg and body to make a bitsa... so I'll have 3 Ps eventually. Love it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='pikeman' timestamp='1327584428' post='1513726']
Still got mine and play it daily. I've not done anything to it for ages since I changed the pup and the neck. I still need to change the wiring and possibly the pickguard, I think black would look nice. In two minds about this as the inverted snob in me quite likes the fact that it's origin still shows through. It's a great keeper as a back up and plays and sounds just right.
[/quote]

And I believe I have your original maple fingerboard neck :)

Of my 3 Sue Ryders...

#1 (white and rosewood) remains pretty much stock. Only the pickguard has changed, to black. I have a set of Wizard Thumper pickups but never got around to replace them. Strung with flats, I have occasionally rehearsed with it, but I mostly only use it at home. It has featured in our band's first music video! :)

#2 (white and rosewood) has changed a lot. It now has a maple fingerboard neck from another SR. It has been defretted, and it has a Dimarzio Model P in cream. Again, mostly home use. Of my two fretless, this is the one I use the most. Strung with D'Addario nylon tapewounds, I prefer to play this instead of my Fender Precision CIJ 70s, which is no doubt a better bass but feels a bit "cold"

#3 (blue and maple)... its neck went to #2. For this one I am using another maple SR neck I bought from 'pikeman' in this forum. It was prettier than the one it had originally so I swapped it. The body is almost entirely stripped now, and it is going to be fitted with a SD SMB4A (MM style) pickup, a DiMarzio DP127 (Precision, with blades), and a John East preamp... still in bits.

• 4 weeks later...

I resurrected my Sue Ryder P today. I've had it a while (bought it new when they were 1st mentioned). In case you forgot (how could you), the neck was defective so I fitted a Mighty Mite Fender P clone. I also obtained a cheap pearl scratch plate and some CTS pots with a harness.

I fitted the scratch plate after filing many lumps out of it and wired in the new pots and harness. While trying to fit the original Chinese push fit knob onto the volume pot I badly damaged the pot by pushing its innards right through :rolleyes:

I've have a new pot for months but the bass has just sat around needing attention.

I've got an interview at a residential school for autistic teenage boys next week and playing in a band is a popular pastime. I thought that it would be good to have something I can throw about if I get a job.

I wired in the new pot this morning and set the bass up. Trouble is both pots were acting as volume :confused:

I got a wiring diagram from the interweb and it was completely different to my set up so I rewired the lot.

It works really well, sounds just like a P should, no longer resembles a Sue Ryder bass and it need 2 more knobs (it's already got one ;) ). It doesn't hold up very well to close scrutiny but it'll do :)

I'm not overly keen on the white pup but it sounds good so it'll have to do.

[url="http://peterb4407.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/20297576_MJZnTm#!i=1721447271&k=xP4gKLP&lb=1&s=A"][/url]

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1329925647' post='1549863']
....I fitted the scratch plate after filing many lumps out of it ....
[/quote]
:huh: Er, why? What sort of lumps?

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1329925647' post='1549863']
....I'm not overly keen on the white pup but it sounds good so it'll have to do. ....[/quote]
Can you replace the cover on the pup? Mind you, I'm not sure what colour would go well with the pearly plate. Can you get pearly pup covers? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329929754' post='1549948']
I'm guessing a standard pickguard needs a bit of filing to fit a Ryder P.

My 2p: I'd get black pup covers and a mint/black/mint pickguard, but that's just me.
[/quote]

Yes it does. I'm not sure that the pup is exactly a standard P size and shape either (more filing).

It'll do for now, it's not as if it's my main bass :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1329930696' post='1549964']
It'll do for now, it's not as if it's my main bass :)
[/quote]

I've got a MM 'Fender' neck for mine too, rosewood fingerboard. And some Wilkinson tuners, SD SPB-2, KiOgon wiring harness and pots, thumb rest, pickup and bridge covers, BBOT bridge, etc. Going for a 70s vibe. Waiting for my custom P though, so I won't be without a bass!

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I'll ever stop modding my Dark Ryder, I'm having a lot of fun with it and using it for rehearsals( when it's in one piece).
Recent updates include one of John's wiring harnesses with a PIO cap and a blue sparkle scratchplate which cost the princely sum of £7 delivered from China ( and really nice it is too ).[attachment=105288:blue-sp1.jpg][attachment=105289:blue-sp2.jpg]

Edited by pikeman