Why become a member? ×

Absolute Stunner At Fareastguitars.co.uk

umcoo

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1102317' date='Jan 25 2011, 04:31 PM']Is this genuine? If you look closely at the headstock photo, especially around the Offset Counter Body decal, you can clearly see edges to a decal. Is this right?[/quote]

Yes. In the fifities and sixties Fender applied the decal over the headstock laquer. With time the decal outline becomes more prominent against the background, especially on coloured headstocks. On a lot of the higher end reissue models Fender replicate that, as is the case on this one.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1102350' date='Jan 25 2011, 04:53 PM']Yes. In the fifities and sixties Fender applied the decal over the headstock laquer. With time the decal outline becomes more prominent against the background, especially on coloured headstocks. On a lot of the higher end reissue models Fender replicate that, as is the case on this one.[/quote]

It doesn't have to be deliberate like that - even with lacquer over the decal you don't always get a perfectly flush surface upon buffing and certainly looking closely you can often see the decal edges through the lacquer. My poly-finished 75RI is a case in point.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1102365' date='Jan 25 2011, 05:01 PM']It doesn't have to be deliberate like that - even with lacquer over the decal you don't always get a perfectly flush surface upon buffing and certainly looking closely you can often see the decal edges through the lacquer. My poly-finished 75RI is a case in point.[/quote]

Agreed - coincidentally my 70s reissue P is showing the same. On this 62 reissue, though, the decal will have been deliberatley applied like that to replicate the way the decals aged quite quickly in the pre-poly era.

John is a top guy and has a sharp eye for snide guitars, he would never knowingly buy then sell a shifty item.

Anyway, lovely bass. I would rip the Badass off ( a no go on Jazz basses IMO) and stick some covers on it!!

Edited by neilb

The greatest thing about CIJ/MIJ is they play just as good and built just as good, if not sometimes better than the USA versions which are over £1000 more..its crazy...

Ive had a few USA Fenders, and the CIJ 62 Jazz was just as good if not better... My next purchase is an MIJ 62 RI like this one..

IMO Japan Fender are way way ahead of the USA Fender... in the different colour combos, the (secret MIJ Fenders) the build quality, (is most of the time better than USA Fender's.. The LT editions.... MIJ's are way more exciting than the boring plodding stuff that US FEnder comes out with.......how have Fender not realised this and caught up...??

for me the original USA Fender is looking dreary and old hat..and has lost its prestigiousness... unless maybe custom shop..

they really need to do something exciting and a bit more often...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='simon1964' post='1102350' date='Jan 25 2011, 04:53 PM']Yes. In the fifities and sixties Fender applied the decal over the headstock laquer. With time the decal outline becomes more prominent against the background, especially on coloured headstocks. On a lot of the higher end reissue models Fender replicate that, as is the case on this one.[/quote]

Well you learn something everyday. It's always wise to ask though if you don't know I guess :)

[quote name='neilb' post='1102636' date='Jan 25 2011, 07:46 PM']...I would rip the Badass off ( a no go on Jazz basses IMO)...[/quote]

Any reason you think that, or is it just a taste / looks thing? I'm considering a new bridge for my jazz because the current one has seen better days and was considering a badass?

xx

[quote name='Stroopy121' post='1103865' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:35 PM']Any reason you think that, or is it just a taste / looks thing? I'm considering a new bridge for my jazz because the current one has seen better days and was considering a badass?

xx[/quote]

Have to say, after having a Badass on a jazz for a good year or so, I didn't really notice any difference to my other standard Jazz bridges.....and they are bit ugly.....well not ugly, but I don't think they suit the aesthetic of Fenders if I'm honest.

Si

[quote name='Stroopy121' post='1103865' date='Jan 26 2011, 03:35 PM']Any reason you think that, or is it just a taste / looks thing? I'm considering a new bridge for my jazz because the current one has seen better days and was considering a badass?

xx[/quote]

I would look at the Gotoh 201. Does a simialr job to the Badass (more mass than the standard fender bridge) but has a more traditional look. And its a fraction of the price.

IMO, lovely, but the MIJ basses are getting to silly high prices now. Ive had one, and it was a belter, but id not go so far as to say it was as good as a MIA, (obviously a good MIA) and nowadays the prices are getting very close.

Back when I bought mine, the MIJ was probably the equivalent price of a MIM.