Why become a member? ×

I Think My Guitarist Might Be A Massive Tool

Gust0o

...and there's the guitarist who threw some great axe hero poses but kept discarding most of our song suggestions. I noticed that the ones he accepted were [i]all [/i]in the key of A. Taxed about this, he admitted he wasn't happy in any other key.

So I offered to show him the lick in C:

Me: "You start with a C on the A string"

G: "Which one's that? I don't know what the notes are on the fingerboard. I'm a 'feel player', me"

Me: "OK, start with the 3rd fret here on the A string."

G: "You prat. Basses and guitars are tuned differently. Everyone knows that."

We eventually fired him by phone. "Good job you didn't tell me on Tuesday night. I'd have punched you out" he said.

Doesn't your guitarist have a tuner? Both ours do.

When I arrive at rehearsals the drummer is just finishing setting up, the guitarists have been playing for a while. I set up and am ready to play, the drummer finishes, we have a short chat and we play a number.

This happens EVERY week the same.

At the end of the first number I turn to one (the same!) guitarist and say "<GUITARIST>, have you checked your tuning?"

He checks it and says "ah yes I'm a bit out."

EVERY week without fail! :)

He's 60 not 16!

The guitarists in both of my bands are all great guys but each have their own little idiosyncracies that we seem to end up butting heads over more and more lately. I know that I'm not necessarily the easiest person in the world to work with sometimes either though so c'est la vie.

Have had two fairly negative experiences with guitarists in the past though, one was with a fairly short lived metal band (there were 2 guitarists in that one and they were both quite difficult to work with - although their ego clashes were hilarious at times), the other was a band I was just filling in with for one gig. The guitarist had an Ibanez with a floyd rose type trem and refused to lock the nut because apparently it wouldn't stay in tune when he did. But, he still used the trem and wondered why his guitar kept going out of tune. I must have spent half an hour of one of the rehearsals explaining the full workings and setup process for a FR to him and why just putting the stings on, tuning it and locking it doesn't magically work and he still didn't get it.

Edited by Maverick

[b]Bail Out ASAP.[/b]

I have seen to many planks like that, in twenty years he will still be saying the same thing to the next poor soul. The only diffrence is he will be covered in fake Tan and have hair like Dog the bounty hunter. Just remember we are the superior bread, Timing is our pulse. Mine 7/4

What do a guitar solo and premature ejaculation have in common?
A: You know it's coming and there's nothing you can do about it.

[quote name='gjones' post='1100227' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:20 PM']Life's too short for faffing about.[/quote]

+1

There are some smashing guitar players out there. In fact there's a surplus of them and IME many of them are really decent people who will work hard with the rest of the band to get things moving.

I don't tollerate people not pulling their weight in my band regardless of their instrument - least of all guitarists as there's plenty out there that would kill for a chance to play with a band. I don't care whethter they put the band together or are just auditioning. If you don't learn your stuff when everyone else does, you're letting everyone else down and wasting their time. I play cos I want to progress and will happily speak up if someone is being a plonker and holding the rest of the band up.

Ditch him he sounds like a plonker. You'll find plenty of volunteers keen to audition and some of them will no doubt be more talented and more commited.

Hilarious. I have had over the years a mixed experience but mainly positive. I always look for peoples human qualities before musical ability. Getting both is a real bonus. If you have the right people you can make good music. There are plenty of guitarists - if i were you i would get another one as that tuning thing would drive me insane.

Early days yet but the guitarist I'm practising with currently seems a decent bloke. When we had finished practicing last week he kindly said 'any songs you get stuck on just give us a phone and we'll try work out how to approach it'.

He has one bug bear and that's people who mess him about, but I'm inclined to be like that. :)

Guitarists in my previous venture were decent enough blokes, just wanted to play some rather cliched songs.

Are you sure this dude's not just playing things wrong? Like not actually knowing what key the song's in for example? That might explain why you sounded a little out of tune and it was 'your' fault!

I've never played with a perfect guitarist. I've played with technically gifted but seriously sociopathic ones, and I've played with poor ones with a great attitude and work ethic. AH well, I'll keep looking!

Truckstop

That Kingsmill line is pure brilliance! :)

The drummer is sympathetic - but we've all been mates for a while (and worked together), so feedback is constrained as a result. They're both also coming out of a previous band, which broke up messily - mainly as the guitarist banged his last bass player, before collapsing so personally as to need the North Yorkshire constabulary to remind him that continuing his dispute with said bass player would be to lead him down the road to harassment.

He's not violent, mind; he's just an arsehole.

Which makes me an even bigger arseole, as I knew all this when I volunteered. But, I was impressed with the veneer of professionalism, and having seen them all play live before I thought it would be a goer.

However, the warnings signs:

[b]"We're a stoner band"[/b] - except no one smokes, or has smoked. I think I may be the only one to have been on acid at some point in my life, which is surely a creative prerequisite for this type of music?

Guitarist likes rock, so scope has now creeped down - we're a rock band and not even playing what I joined up for. Guitarist also likes the Wildhearts, so we shall shortly be a Wildhearts cover band, no doubt.

[b]"We'll write some new songs"[/b] - sorry, he'll write some new songs. I refused to play one which didn't sit well.

[b]"We'll work on the new stuff"[/b] - we won't work on the new stuff; we'll just play it, and then I can criticise your technique for not mimicking my every move.

We're now getting a singer, I'm told. I've said wait, but I'm half-expecting to walk into rehearsal tomorrow and find someone new. Causality is being defied here.

I did suggest new bod, when they join in a few months, should play guitar - fill out the sound (cover awful tone, or criticise from the perspective of also being a guitarist; also, to be my white knight of tuning and save me) and maybe let this guy focus on those solos which are missing from every track and he continues to laugh off learning .

No, they can just sing.

Crikey, I didn't intend to post all that, but it's being drawn out now - like poison from a wound. Time to reassert some authority with this bunch, methinks. I'm patently not being unreasonable - I just want us in key; in time; and playing what we originally set out to.

Thanks for the outlet, chaps.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1102664' date='Jan 25 2011, 08:09 PM']Bass Player being banged by guitarist?? Arseholes?? This band sounds dodgy. Leave now![/quote]
I wish my guitar player would bang me from time to time.