Why become a member? ×

Odd Jazz! Kinda like it but ££££'s

phsycoandy

[quote name='Chop' post='126285' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:59 PM']Stoopid price.
Did anyone look at his other auctions? They have a Joe Strummer relic Tele with the worst relic job ever, looks like the poly been removed with an angle grinder !! :)[/quote]

That's the official Fender Joe Strummer. Check out their website. There's a good reason why the finish looks so naff...it involves car paint in a can!!

OK I admit from the outset I'm not a Fender 'fan', I appreciate them but don't get them any more BUT...

When they say built by JPS etc or Custom Shop built surely they just get the same bits that make up a normal spec USA Fender and screw them together as a kit! Can that warrant the extra moolah?

Am I missing something are these band of master craftsman going out and felling their own trees... no! Are they then take a solid block of seasoned timber and hand shaping it... maybe using far superior hardware that needs greater skill than a trained Fender employ has!

The instrument is a 'Master Built' custom shop by JPS, so yes it is made from scratch i believe, much like any Luthier makes their custom instruments.
Its the same age old question as to why someone would pay £6,000 for any electric bass (uprights are different :) ), in any case, that's pretty much what a new Fodera costs.

Si

I've owned four Fender Custom Shop basses and none of them were much better as instruments than their USA and often MIJ counterparts (I should however add that three of these were Jazzes and I have now realised that I just don't like Jazzes very much, so that might be a factor :)) . You can't blame Fender for recognising that their basic product is quite cheap for a top-end musical instrument, and for wanting to market higher priced basses. The problem is that, unlike buying two models of the same car, a 50% increase in Fender Bass price doesn't seem to equate to a 50% increase in quality or performance. I really do think that you pay £500-£1000 for the Custom Shop stamp on the back of the headstock and the neckplate, or in this case, for the fact that a guy with a reputation built the whole thing.
It must really bug the marketing guys at Fender when they look at ebay and see stuff they sold for $200 in the '60's being far more highly prized than anything they can sell for $4000 today :huh:
Chris

What i find slightly odd is that Rudy Pensa and John Suhr are different people, they have of course worked together on various Pensa-Suhr guitars and basses, but the listing says "MADE BY GUEST LUTHIER JOHN PENSA SUHR"

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='126771' date='Jan 24 2008, 11:40 AM']What i find slightly odd is that Rudy Pensa and John Suhr are different people, they have of course worked together on various Pensa-Suhr guitars and basses, but the listing says "MADE BY GUEST LUTHIER JOHN PENSA SUHR"

Si[/quote]

I thought that also. John Suhrs stuff are a cut above the rest though... as was the stuff by the late great John English.

I have to agree with earlier comments though, the stuff coming out of Fender's custom shop are not that good on the grand scale of things - and certainly not worth the premium over the standard run of the mill stuff.

If you want something nice, it's probably worthwhile going direct to the likes of Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Tyler etc...