Why become a member? ×

Sacrilage

TheGreek

Anybody else want to form part of the firing squad for whoever did the "customising" on this??

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260721236884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

what a shame,

First,I think it's another body than original.
Even if you remove the paint you never obtain the sunburst... where can you see it an original ?

Ok it's a great original neck, but anywhere it's describe as an original body...
Just refin.

Second I think in 1977, the rear plate was in 3holes not in 4.

and the final shame is the jb pickup, Edith : Active pop'up... with an hole behind the body...

Definitely not a bass to buy. Just the neck

Don't look at this ! And yes, I come with you to form a squad

Edited by Bassman

I dunno, personally, I'd love to work on that bass and I doubt it would be too much graft to get sorted. I'd get rid of the stupid active PUs and replace with some Wizards or something passive, sand down the finish and possibly re-fill before spraying a solid colour as I don't like sunbursts. As for the battery hole (the biggest crime in my opinion) you could either use another piece of wood to glue in or even a ton of wood filler.

I think I'd stick in an active preamp as well. Looks like a neat job, the routing for the J pickup isn't gappy and the battery box looks OK too, as well as one can see it. WTF anyone would want to put this considerably improved P back to something like original appearance beats me.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1097620' date='Jan 21 2011, 02:57 PM']I think I'd stick in an active preamp as well. Looks like a neat job, the routing for the J pickup isn't gappy and the battery box looks OK too, as well as one can see it. WTF anyone would want to put this considerably improved P back to something like original appearance beats me.[/quote]

Because quite a lot of people hate the sound of active pickups?

[quote name='Bassman' post='1098104' date='Jan 21 2011, 09:04 PM']it's just : if you are a vintage lover you DON'T do this on a real Fender P-bass 1977.[/quote]

The problem is that if you go back in time a tatty original bass was not valued. My 64 was refinished in 68, before I got it, and it improved it [using the attitude at the time, ]its since been refinished a couple of times.

Knowing what I know now, or even what I knew 20 years ago I wouldnt have done it. I expect the bloke who had this bass didnt appreciate at the time its effect on its re sale.

I would buy it without a propblem and either strip it back to natural, of have a decent refinish done.

Edited by bumnote

[quote name='tauzero' post='1097620' date='Jan 21 2011, 02:57 PM']I think I'd stick in an active preamp as well. Looks like a neat job, the routing for the J pickup isn't gappy and the battery box looks OK too, as well as one can see it. WTF anyone would want to put this considerably improved P back to something like original appearance beats me.[/quote]
:)

I agree! If theyed made the the nut width 38mm it would have been the perfect upgraded P Bass.

I wonder what it'll go for.

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1096800' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:55 PM']Anybody else want to form part of the firing squad for whoever did the "customising" on this??

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260721236884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url][/quote]

Eventually went for £577.99 - good price considering...hopefully somebody will restore it to something like it's original glory - it certainly needs some love and attention spent on it..If a BCer bought it and can they post the finishing pics??

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1099500' date='Jan 23 2011, 11:53 AM']...hopefully somebody will restore it to something like it's original glory[/quote]

Now this is something I just don't get about the 'vintage' bass market - and particularly that for Fenders.

IMV, if you buy a bass it's yours and anything you wish to do to it to suit your own personality, style, taste, etc is just fine with me. Fair enough, if you then wish to sell it on - don't BS people by claiming that it is 'original', but other than that, what the heck?

Why is it always assumed that original = good and that modified = bad on Fenders? Maybe he had no intention of ever selling it?

Back in 1998, when the mods were allegedly done, that bass was only just 20 years old. It may not even be a particularly good example! To pimp it up and get 13 years of fun out of it seems like a good call to me...

Confused. :)

[quote name='Conan' post='1099518' date='Jan 23 2011, 12:11 PM']Now this is something I just don't get about the 'vintage' bass market - and particularly that for Fenders.

IMV, if you buy a bass it's yours and anything you wish to do to it to suit your own personality, style, taste, etc is just fine with me. Fair enough, if you then wish to sell it on - don't BS people by claiming that it is 'original', but other than that, what the heck?

Why is it always assumed that original = good and that modified = bad on Fenders? Maybe he had no intention of ever selling it?

Back in 1998, when the mods were allegedly done, that bass was only just 20 years old. It may not even be a particularly good example! To pimp it up and get 13 years of fun out of it seems like a good call to me...

Confused. :)[/quote]

+1, I love a nice mongrel Fender. Lots of great players in the 60's and 70's added PUPs, defretted boards, activated circuits etc. Original condition gives antique/collector value for sure, whilst modified often (although not always) results in a better player bass. Snobbery about these things is for collectors and businessmen, mods were there for a reason. I owned a '73 Precision with an added J-PUP; it didn't really work with P-PUP alone but with both PUPs together or J-PUP soloed it was lovely. In short, the mod mate it a far better bass. The bass in question above might blow most FSC, Sadowsky, Celinders etc out of the water, so for the price, I'd have taken the punt if I was in the market

C

[quote name='Bassman' post='1097497' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:43 PM']Second I think in 1977, the rear plate was in 3holes not in 4.[/quote]

Not on a Precision matey, so no reason to suspect it's not the original body

You know what, the more I look at that strangely blue bass, the more I wish I'd bought it!

C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1100331' date='Jan 24 2011, 12:20 AM']Not on a Precision matey, so no reason to suspect it's not the original body

You know what, the more I look at that strangely blue bass, the more I wish I'd bought it!

C[/quote]

I have had the same thought

[quote name='Bassman' post='1097497' date='Jan 21 2011, 01:43 PM']Ok it's a great original neck, but anywhere it's describe as an original body...
Just refin.

Second I think in 1977, the rear plate was in 3holes not in 4.[/quote]

The Precision never had the 3 bolt neck, it was always four bolt*. I'm not a fan of blue basses (even when its done well!), but for the price it went for you could budget for a refin (black would look good), and have a decent bass there.

*Edit - just notice Chris had already posted this. I really should read the properly thread before contributing!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='1100481' date='Jan 24 2011, 10:00 AM']for the price it went for you could budget for a refin (black would look good), and have a decent bass there.[/quote]

So it's [i]not[/i] a decent bass if it's blue - but painting it black would make it decent? :)