Why become a member? ×

Sacrilage

TheGreek

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1097714' date='Jan 21 2011, 04:05 PM']Because quite a lot of people hate the sound of active pickups?[/quote]
Then possibly the best thing to do would be not buy this bass but let someone who actually wanted to use it rather than "restore" it to being yet another run-of-the-mill Precision only with bits of wood stuck in.

I imagine I'd be hung drawn and quartered by certain BC members for what I did to my 1970s P - Di Marzio pickup, homebuilt active preamp (with attendant routing under scratchplate) and modified scratchplate with a brass control plate section equivalent to the chrome section of a Jazz.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1100777' date='Jan 24 2011, 01:49 PM']I imagine I'd be hung drawn and quartered by certain BC members for what I did to my 1970s P - Di Marzio pickup, homebuilt active preamp (with attendant routing under scratchplate) and modified scratchplate with a brass control plate section equivalent to the chrome section of a Jazz.[/quote]

I suspect you're right! But did it sound/play better?

[quote name='tauzero' post='1100777' date='Jan 24 2011, 01:49 PM']I imagine I'd be hung drawn and quartered by certain BC members for what I did to my 1970s P - Di Marzio pickup, homebuilt active preamp (with attendant routing under scratchplate) and modified scratchplate with a brass control plate section equivalent to the chrome section of a Jazz.[/quote]
Not me. Back in the 70s & 80s, Fenders of this era were largely regarded as guff and were fair game - back then if it wasn't "pre-CBS" it wasn't worth a damn. Got any pics of your masterpiece?

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1101397' date='Jan 24 2011, 09:16 PM']Not me. Back in the 70s & 80s, Fenders of this era were largely regarded as guff and were fair game - back then if it wasn't "pre-CBS" it wasn't worth a damn. Got any pics of your masterpiece?[/quote]
I don't know if I have any pictures. Oh, and did I mention that I stripped off the badly cracked and chipped sunburst too?

It was actually a good player - I tried a few second-hand Ps in what was then Musical Exchange in Brum, and this was the one with the nicest neck, tattiest body, and lowest price. Which was nice.