Why become a member? ×

TO GO: Cats

icastle

[quote name='Conan' post='1110678' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:43 AM']Incredibly irresponsible. I have two cats (which I am also looking to rehome) and the damage they do to the local wildlife populations is very worrying - mainly small mammals and birds, but they have even brought an adult rabbit into the house before!! I shudder to think of the level of predation that 29 cats would be responsible for.... indirectly of course - it's your ex who is really responsible![/quote]

Don't I know it!
There was a rotting flesh smell downstairs last week and I hunted around trying to find the source of it.
I pulled out the stereo (dead since one or more cats decided to use it as a toilet) and discovered two half eaten birds behind there!

One of the cats came in a few months ago with a bat!
Whilst it's certainly not funny from a wildlife conservation point of view, the look of bemusement on the cats face was funny - a sort of puzzled 'I didn't know mice can fly' expression. :)

[quote name='adledman' post='1110642' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:09 AM']i really have been trying to resist but not neutering on moral grounds! i think with all the unwanted pets we have in a so called animal loving country and the vast numbers destroyed because the charities are overwhelmed is proof that worrying about tibbles balls and how he wont be able to strut his stuff has back fired in a big way. lets hope they dont reach sexual maturity and multiply even further! i hope you manage to find a suitable home for them and that they get to have a long but sterile life. and blow a raspberry at the ex for me if you see her. thats the nicest way of putting it anyway. ad[/quote]

Yep totally agree.

Another thing i don't understand is people who buy kittens from pet shops. Why the hell do people still encourage kitten "farming"? Most animal sanctuaries have kittens as they get pregnant female cats dumped on them. When we went to get Mrs. Lemmywinks' cat they had pens full of kittens - all needing a home. A big pen with about 20 tabby kittens in it all meowing and climbing the mesh to get to you is probably the cutest thing imaginable!

Both of our moggies were in need of a home and we were only too glad to take them, especially my little tortie as she's a total idiot.

I totally agree about the local wildlife thing.

Cats are designed to stalk and kill prey. Most of the local cats where I live are often killing young birds, rabbits and other creatures and it's entirely down to irresponsible ownership (in my particular area, obviously not in ALL cases)...

I say this because every cat I've seen killing birds and rabbits etc around our area does not have a bell on it's collar.

A responsible owner should put a bell on their cat's collar so that it will give an ample warning to prey so that they can (hopefully) escape.

the sort of people(for want of a better word) who buys pets from dealers and shops are the sort who generally get bored when they realise that the cute little bundle is now dropping hairs and other things and costs a small fortune to feed and keep healthy and dump for someone else to look after as they find it hard to manage their own person hygiene let alone another animals. i need to draw breath! i personally have always taken rescue animals and clean up after other people when they get bored and love my rosie(big dog) and my wee birds(the last thing that should be in a cage so mine a free to leave it though not out the window). i can see i am starting to table thump so will sign off. glad you got a resolution to your prob. change raspberry to copious amounts of haranguing please now i know its not bothering you icastle. ad

[quote name='adledman' post='1112039' date='Feb 2 2011, 09:29 AM']the sort of people(for want of a better word) who buys pets from dealers and shops are the sort who generally get bored when they realise that the cute little bundle is now dropping hairs and other things and costs a small fortune to feed and keep healthy and dump for someone else to look after as they find it hard to manage their own person hygiene let alone another animals. i need to draw breath! i personally have always taken rescue animals and clean up after other people when they get bored and love my rosie(big dog) and my wee birds(the last thing that should be in a cage so mine a free to leave it though not out the window). i can see i am starting to table thump so will sign off. glad you got a resolution to your prob. change raspberry to copious amounts of haranguing please now i know its not bothering you icastle. ad[/quote]

The original cats here all came from rescue shelters.
As for the cost of keeping pets, by the time you pay for food, vet bills and the regular stuff (flea treatment, deworming etc.) it can all add up. I think a lot of people mistakenly think it's just the cost of pet food.
I haven't sat and worked out accurate costs, but I reckon that £5 a week is enough to feed a cat - so I've been paying out something in the region of £600 a month!

I know this is an emotive subject, peoples circumstances change, relationships can fall apart, forced moves to accomodation that doesn't allow animals, illness and a whole pile of other things, so it's not really fair to judge all cases the same way.
I'd say that rehoming an animal is a far better thing to do than attempting to keep an animal in a totally unsuitable environment.

Raspberries and haranguing don't bother me in the least. :)

hi icastle, i wasnt pointing any comments at you but agreeing with earlier comment about buying animals. i had to get a previously rescued dog of mine rehomed years ago as i could not keep him in new house and it broke my heart. you did a good thing getting them all taken care of. some would open the door and let your problem walk away. ad

[quote name='icastle' post='1110725' date='Feb 1 2011, 10:22 AM']One of the cats came in a few months ago with a bat!
Whilst it's certainly not funny from a wildlife conservation point of view, the look of bemusement on the cats face was funny - a sort of puzzled 'I didn't know mice can fly' expression. :)[/quote]

Classic!! :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1113742' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:30 PM']Crikey! When you convert that into bass purchases it could quickly turn into feline resentment!

Well, ex missus resentment....[/quote]

Could easily have done but I've always made a point of keeping money earned from music away from my ordinary money, that way any musical purchases are self financing. :)

As a former CPL person (before it dropped the "League"), I can tell you that homing kittens is easy. Cute little balls of fluff (um, perhaps I should rephrase that). The policy used to be to have adult cats neutered before they went out to new homes, and to ask the new owners of kittens to have them neutered at six months. How much of the time this actually happened, I don't know. And of course, lots of kittens are rehomed through the traditional postcard in the newsagent's window with the consequent embarrassment when it turns out that the clientele for small furry pussy is not the same as that for Michelle's lessons in French.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1115289' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:00 PM']As a former CPL person (before it dropped the "League"), I can tell you that homing kittens is easy. Cute little balls of fluff (um, perhaps I should rephrase that).[/quote]

Absolutely.
Problem is when the 'owner' is also fixated by those cute little balls of fluff and won't let them go.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1115289' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:00 PM']The policy used to be to have adult cats neutered before they went out to new homes, and to ask the new owners of kittens to have them neutered at six months. How much of the time this actually happened, I don't know.[/quote]

The adult cat that started this sorry chain of events was actually from CP.
They hadn't had time to get it neutered and only supplied it on the promise that it would be neutered.
It never happened.
Policies are great on paper and promises are fine if the judgment call is right, but throw a manipulative fruitloop into any process and it'll soon go wrong.
Now't against CP at all, they're a great bunch of guys and gals who deserve far more support and credit that they get.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1115289' date='Feb 4 2011, 02:00 PM']And of course, lots of kittens are rehomed through the traditional postcard in the newsagent's window with the consequent embarrassment when it turns out that the clientele for small furry pussy is not the same as that for Michelle's lessons in French.[/quote]

I must admit that I totally misunderstood the original proposal of having "pussy in every room" as well... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1110725' date='Feb 1 2011, 10:22 AM']One of the cats came in a few months ago with a bat!
Whilst it's certainly not funny from a wildlife conservation point of view, the look of bemusement on the cats face was funny - a sort of puzzled 'I didn't know mice can fly' expression. :)[/quote]

I'd keep that one (after having it checked for Rabies!)

Try other places if Cats Protection can't do any more ,you may be able to get vouchers to help out with having them neutered etc.

Bet that was fun getting them in cages if they been living feral like !

[quote name='walplayer' post='1115494' date='Feb 4 2011, 03:58 PM']I'd keep that one (after having it checked for Rabies!)

Try other places if Cats Protection can't do any more ,you may be able to get vouchers to help out with having them neutered etc.

Bet that was fun getting them in cages if they been living feral like ![/quote]

Yep - I will be keeping a couple of them, they're good company and manageable in sensible quantities.

CP took as many as we could find and are happy to take the rest.
Chatting to the two girls that came to collect them it transpired that it was probably one of the worst animal hoarding situations they've seen in a couple of years.

Getting the bigger ones caged was a total nightmare - especially when they realised what was happening!
Two of them I had to corner, put the cage over them, slide a piece of hardboard under them and then turn the cage over - a bit like catching a bumble bee.

Slowly working my way round the house with a scrubbing brush and some enzyme cleaning stuff I bought to try and get rid of the smell of urine and faeces. I've pulled up two carpets so far, wrapped them in polythene sheeting and taken them to the tip as they were beyond all hope of saving. I'm reckoning on at least two more carpets going the same way - looks like I'm going to be going down the sanded and varnished floor look as recarpeting that lot will cost an absolute fortune (old house = big rooms!).

I've sussed out how to set the catflap so they can get in to just the utility room but can't get back outside, so I will be having another roundup next week...

Edited by icastle

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' post='1115637' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:33 PM']Slowly working my way round the house with a scrubbing brush and some enzyme cleaning stuff I bought to try and get rid of the smell of urine and faeces. I've pulled up two carpets so far, wrapped them in polythene sheeting and taken them to the tip as they were beyond all hope of saving. I'm reckoning on at least two more carpets going the same way - looks like I'm going to be going down the sanded and varnished floor look as recarpeting that lot will cost an absolute fortune (old house = big rooms!).[/quote]
When I got my house back from the former Mrs Zero after buying her out, I returned to find that she'd just let her six Yorkies do as they wanted. The carpets were all saturated with dog piss - we had to get them all up except for one room. Our original plan to recarpet a couple of rooms got drastically elevated to the entire house except for one bedroom (she never used the bedroom which got used as a computer room and so the dogs never went in either).

• 4 weeks later...

icastle - good luck getting all those moggies rounded up and re-housed! Hopefully a long way off, too, so they don't come wandering back.

Did you have a staring role in this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmgLtg1Izw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmgLtg1Izw[/url] :)

[quote name='Simon.' post='1167208' date='Mar 18 2011, 02:36 PM']icastle - good luck getting all those moggies rounded up and re-housed! Hopefully a long way off, too, so they don't come wandering back.

Did you have a staring role in this: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmgLtg1Izw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SmgLtg1Izw[/url] :)[/quote]

Yup.
Just like that but without the space... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='icastle' post='1098270' date='Jan 22 2011, 01:37 AM']I think it's safe to say she has a few 'issues'.

Damn I'm polite... :)[/quote]

A few issues is an understatement. :)
She thought neutering was morally wrong too. ? Bet she wouldn't mind doing it to you though - :lol:
This could develop into quite a cruel ending if not resolved.

I already have 2 and that's enough for me thanks.

Mmm would save on carpets though - catpets :D

Good luck.
Dave
:P

Edited by dmccombe7

If my other half saw this, she'd have me halfway down the M6 in the van by now!

We're down to 3 cats, a giant Japanese Akita, and George the bearded dragon will be joining us next week. I'm [i]this[/i] close to blocking the IP addresses of all the pet rescue websites because our little house/zoo won't hold many more!

Good luck with the rehoming, good that CP have found space for so many!