Why become a member? ×

TO GO: Cats

icastle

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1098206' date='Jan 21 2011, 11:14 PM']OK I'm gonna bite, how the f*** did she end up with 29 cats?[/quote]

It started off with one female cat that she promised to get neutered and didn't.
When it started getting silly (9 cats) she refused to have any of them neutered because she deemed it was "morally wrong".

I think it's safe to say she has a few 'issues'.

Damn I'm polite... :)

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1098046' date='Jan 21 2011, 08:10 PM']Hmm, could be interested, we already have two though![/quote]

Well I have 29 here that all get along pretty well (apart from one who hates anything cat shaped).
If your existing two get along then I'm sure I can find one out of the 29 that'll get along with them. :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1098274' date='Jan 22 2011, 12:43 AM']No problem - I'll get the camera out tomorrow.
Any preferences about age, sex or colour?[/quote]

Our current cats are about a year and a half to two years old so something similar to that, Preferably male, colour not an issue. Are they house cats, or do they have access to outdoors? Ours are house cats, as outside area aint that safe!

Its a real long shot, but cute pictures could sway my Mrs.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='1098314' date='Jan 22 2011, 02:20 AM']Our current cats are about a year and a half to two years old so something similar to that, Preferably male, colour not an issue. Are they house cats, or do they have access to outdoors? Ours are house cats, as outside area aint that safe!

Its a real long shot, but cute pictures could sway my Mrs.[/quote]

Ah.
These are outdoor cats - they have access to a stupidly large back garden and the fields beyond that...

[quote name='charic' post='1108807' date='Jan 30 2011, 10:26 PM']Shame it's a no pet policy where I live :) I need a kitty and an alsation... One day[/quote]

I had a big black alsatian until a few years ago - fantastic lad and a damn site easier to look after than a swarm of cats!

If you ever need help herding them, or don't mind losing a few, I have a miniature Daschund who is an enthusiastic herder of cats... no matter where they hide. She can run underneath parked cars without needing to duck, thus prevailing in her natural hunting environment. She even chased a fox from the neighbour's garden, thus confirming Scrappy Doo as brave yet insane. I think she could handle 29.

icastle, on a more serious note, get yourself on a cat forum and be frank about your position - your wife has maintained the animals; that relationship is coming to an end; you're looking for alternative homes. We used to keep a lot of rodents and got heavily involved in the rescue and rehome side of things - people will understand (some will judge too, but it's still out in the open) and you'll get greater coverage for your appeal.

Just google cat forum - there'll be loads! I'm not sure what paperwork, if any, you'd need for ownership; it could be as simple as pics>chose one>come collect.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1109608' date='Jan 31 2011, 03:50 PM']icastle, on a more serious note, get yourself on a cat forum and be frank about your position - your wife has maintained the animals; that relationship is coming to an end; you're looking for alternative homes. We used to keep a lot of rodents and got heavily involved in the rescue and rehome side of things - people will understand (some will judge too, but it's still out in the open) and you'll get greater coverage for your appeal.
Just google cat forum - there'll be loads! I'm not sure what paperwork, if any, you'd need for ownership; it could be as simple as pics>chose one>come collect.[/quote]

I had a call from the Cat Protection people yesterday, they are having a count up of how many spaces they have got in their various locations and will get back to me today to let me know how many they can take as a first batch, so fingers crossed here. :)

i really have been trying to resist but not neutering on moral grounds! i think with all the unwanted pets we have in a so called animal loving country and the vast numbers destroyed because the charities are overwhelmed is proof that worrying about tibbles balls and how he wont be able to strut his stuff has back fired in a big way. lets hope they dont reach sexual maturity and multiply even further! i hope you manage to find a suitable home for them and that they get to have a long but sterile life. and blow a raspberry at the ex for me if you see her. thats the nicest way of putting it anyway. ad

[quote name='adledman' post='1110642' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:09 AM']i really have been trying to resist but not neutering on moral grounds! blow a raspberry at the ex for me if you see her. thats the nicest way of putting it anyway. ad[/quote]

This.

Incredibly irresponsible. I have two cats (which I am also looking to rehome) and the damage they do to the local wildlife populations is very worrying - mainly small mammals and birds, but they have even brought an adult rabbit into the house before!! I shudder to think of the level of predation that 29 cats would be responsible for.... indirectly of course - it's your ex who is really responsible!

[quote name='adledman' post='1110642' date='Feb 1 2011, 09:09 AM']i really have been trying to resist but not neutering on moral grounds! i think with all the unwanted pets we have in a so called animal loving country and the vast numbers destroyed because the charities are overwhelmed is proof that worrying about tibbles balls and how he wont be able to strut his stuff has back fired in a big way. lets hope they dont reach sexual maturity and multiply even further! i hope you manage to find a suitable home for them and that they get to have a long but sterile life. and blow a raspberry at the ex for me if you see her. thats the nicest way of putting it anyway. ad[/quote]

Don't resist on my account mate, I totally agree with you. :)
Pet ownership brings along a whole set of responsibilities and my own feeling is that if people can't be responsible then they shouldn't be taking on pet ownership.

Latest update is that the Cat Protection people are coming in this afternoon with a van and a pile of cages - they'll take as many as I can track down this afternoon in 'one hit' and it's up to me to find the others and deliver them to whichever of their centres has spaces.

I've got 15 of them shut in the kitchen at the moment and am hunting the house and garden to try and find the rest!
Shame I didn't know about it earlier on because I could have trapped them all when they came in for food at 8am this morning!