Why become a member? ×

A Bass For Life ?

Soliloquy

I reckon some people go through life thinking they can have a RELATIONSHIP with their bass, and if they find the ONE bass they can have a relationship with, then that will improve the relationship they have with music.

They imagine the ONE bass will make them practice, and play more often and better, they imagine they will not be able to put this bass down. They will make magic on this bass. The bass will have a perfectly compatible PERSONALITY with the person playing it. They will cherish the ONE bass and they will be rewarded with musical excitement. The bass and it's player will be a unique combination. They will be SPECIAL together. For some people it's an old Fender, for others it is a custom built instrument. They will spend many delicious months hunting in the unknown forests and fields of pawn shops, auctions and forums to find that mojoed old Jazz bass with the unknown history that they can have a true relationship with. Or likewise for the custom built ONE bass. Poring over technicalities, specifications, colours, hardware, woods, electronics .. they can FEEL this bass in their hands. They KNOW what it's going to be like opening the case for the first time, the smell, the weight, the patient but desperate excitement waiting for the SVT to warm up - the anticipation that the first note they play on it will summon forth God! They know this will happen because to convince their wife, they first had to convince themselves. This bass will be so well matched to the player that those tricky 16th note arpeggios will now be easier, and finally they will be able to fully express themselves.

The first note did not summon God. It reminded him a bit of the Squier Jazz, the one with the dodgy tuning peg. Maybe the mids were better defined and it certainly feels better to play, really, it does. Look at my 16th note arpeggios now! Well, a bit more practice perhaps, but I'll want to do that with this bass because it's made for me. And look at that wood pattern, lovely isn't it! The luthier said that's his best bit of burl ives that he's been keeping for a build like this. Really pretty isn't it! I'm sure that's Jesus's face just by the mid sweep pot! Shame the neck profile doesn't quite feel like my Squier Jazz, maybe I could get him to shave it down slightly, but that would mean a refinish on the neck. Don't worry, I'll get used to it, thicker necks are more ergonomic aren't they, better for the hands, and I really should play properly and stop putting my thumb over the top. The pickup screws seem to get in the way of my thumb too, that feels a bit weird, but I always said, didn't I, that I should learn to play like Geddy, the floating thumb is a much more efficient way of damping, Andrew McKinney said that once I think. Pity about the slight neck dive, but if I shorten my strap abit my forearm will keep it in place. No, it will be great for me, this bass, just what I need! Shame I sold that Squier though, maybe I could see if JustOneMoreTry1963 willl sell it back to me? Just so I have my first bass back, don't know why I sold it really, I love the neck on it, even though it's a Squier.

Three weeks later .. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512[/url]

[quote name='silddx' post='1097215' date='Jan 21 2011, 10:44 AM']I reckon some people go through life thinking they can have a RELATIONSHIP with their bass, and if they find the ONE bass they can have a relationship with, then that will improve the relationship they have with music.

*snip, snip*

Shame I sold that Squier though, maybe I could see if JustOneMoreTry1963 willl sell it back to me? Just so I have my first bass back, don't know why I sold it really, I love the neck on it, even though it's a Squier.

Three weeks later .. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512[/url][/quote]

Man, you have [i]way[/i] too much time on your hands!!

Brilliant post though!! :)

Just because you detail every spec in your head and think you know what you want when you order a bass doesn't mean it'll be everything you need for the rest of your career, even if it's perfect for you at that time.

Case in question, and I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning this is Greenking's old ACG. Now, Peter bought this bass and thought carefully about the specifications. What was produced is a brilliant instrument. Now, Peter told me he had ordered this bass along the lines of his "ultimate bass" and it really was just that. Until a few months later he gets into playing 5 strings and sells it to me!

Of course, for me it really could be a bass for life. I don't think I've ever played anything as good as it, it just demolishes the competition. I was playing a Sterling Stingray that was £650 today and I got my ACG for £300 more. I couldn't believe it, that I got such a good deal when compared to the slightly tatty 'Ray. I bought as my "toy" bass that I could play for a while and trade, as I didn't want to sell or trade a Kubicki again. However, now I'm not sure I could ever let the ACG go! It's just too bloody good. I've never really owned one bass for a long time, save for my Kubickis. This could be it for me though, I hope I still have it in 20 years time and it'll be played in like Victor Wooten's #1 Fodera is.

I've never commissioned a custom build myself, but I have owned a couple of second hand ones, an Overwater Progress Deluxe 5 and a Kinal MK-5, both of them were utterly stunning in every way. So why did I sell them? Because I'm an idiot.

I guess in my case it's just GAS that get's me every time, and the trouble is, I'm skint, so if I spot a bass I [i]must have[/i], I have to trade one out in order to get it.

Frankly the ESP Horizon 5 I'm currently using as my main bass is [i]almost[/i] as good as either of the aforementioned, so I'm pretty happy, but for how long??

:)

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1097011' date='Jan 21 2011, 12:04 AM']Without wanting to turn this thread into why do people order a custom bass thread..... some people cant get what they need from a conventional bass maker. I needed a 7 string left handed bass. I am sure people will argue the usual: Jaco, macca etc etc only needed four strings.... Well good for them but i need 7 to achieve what i am aiming for. Nothing wrong with 4 strings, nothing wrong with 104 strings as far as i am concerned.[/quote]

Just wondering why you [i]need[/i] a 7 string? I can understand why you would [i]want[/i] one,but why do you
need it?

I get why people want to buy custom instrument-I've got a couple myself. The only difference is,I got mine second hand and have never paid over a grand for a bass guitar,and only a bit more for my electric upright.

My Overwater has had a few owners I think since 2002. To me - it's flawless in construction and sounds truely amazing. But - it doesn't do everything my previous basses have done in one package. It's a good all round bass, but doesn't suit everything.

I don't think i'd be brave enough to order a custom of my own without expecting it to disappoint me in some way, and after dumping that much money on it - I couldn''t cope with any flaw and would end up selling at a heavy loss.

I think i'm much better off having one expensive bass 'all round' with a couple of others for certain niches.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1097736' date='Jan 21 2011, 04:20 PM']Just wondering why you [i]need[/i] a 7 string? I can understand why you would [i]want[/i] one,but why do you
need it?[/quote]

Why do you [i]need[/i] an electric bass at all, when you could just use a strat + octave pedal? Or a keyboard. Or sing like Bobby McFerrin. Or just not bother playing music, that'd save loads of time/effort! :)

On topic, I imagine quite a lot of people's tastes change as they develop - mine certainly do! A custom bass that might be ideal now may well not conform so perfectly to whatever crazy stuff I do down the line.

[quote name='silddx' post='1097215' date='Jan 21 2011, 10:44 AM']I reckon some people go through life thinking they can have a RELATIONSHIP with their bass, and if they find the ONE bass they can have a relationship with, then that will improve the relationship they have with music.

They imagine the ONE bass will make them practice, and play more often and better, they imagine they will not be able to put this bass down. They will make magic on this bass. The bass will have a perfectly compatible PERSONALITY with the person playing it. They will cherish the ONE bass and they will be rewarded with musical excitement. The bass and it's player will be a unique combination. They will be SPECIAL together. For some people it's an old Fender, for others it is a custom built instrument. They will spend many delicious months hunting in the unknown forests and fields of pawn shops, auctions and forums to find that mojoed old Jazz bass with the unknown history that they can have a true relationship with. Or likewise for the custom built ONE bass. Poring over technicalities, specifications, colours, hardware, woods, electronics .. they can FEEL this bass in their hands. They KNOW what it's going to be like opening the case for the first time, the smell, the weight, the patient but desperate excitement waiting for the SVT to warm up - the anticipation that the first note they play on it will summon forth God! They know this will happen because to convince their wife, they first had to convince themselves. This bass will be so well matched to the player that those tricky 16th note arpeggios will now be easier, and finally they will be able to fully express themselves.

The first note did not summon God. It reminded him a bit of the Squier Jazz, the one with the dodgy tuning peg. Maybe the mids were better defined and it certainly feels better to play, really, it does. Look at my 16th note arpeggios now! Well, a bit more practice perhaps, but I'll want to do that with this bass because it's made for me. And look at that wood pattern, lovely isn't it! The luthier said that's his best bit of burl ives that he's been keeping for a build like this. Really pretty isn't it! I'm sure that's Jesus's face just by the mid sweep pot! Shame the neck profile doesn't quite feel like my Squier Jazz, maybe I could get him to shave it down slightly, but that would mean a refinish on the neck. Don't worry, I'll get used to it, thicker necks are more ergonomic aren't they, better for the hands, and I really should play properly and stop putting my thumb over the top. The pickup screws seem to get in the way of my thumb too, that feels a bit weird, but I always said, didn't I, that I should learn to play like Geddy, the floating thumb is a much more efficient way of damping, Andrew McKinney said that once I think. Pity about the slight neck dive, but if I shorten my strap abit my forearm will keep it in place. No, it will be great for me, this bass, just what I need! Shame I sold that Squier though, maybe I could see if JustOneMoreTry1963 willl sell it back to me? Just so I have my first bass back, don't know why I sold it really, I love the neck on it, even though it's a Squier.

Three weeks later .. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=119512[/url][/quote]

KUDOS on your commitment to the point there :)

[quote name='urb' post='1096741' date='Jan 20 2011, 08:21 PM']That's why I went for a Sei bass - I couldn't be happier with it because I knew exactly what I wanted when I ordered it - every time I pick it up to play it gives me extreme satisfaction and every time I gig it, it sounds fantastic and pretty much always gets complimented on its sound and looks. Ordering a custom instrument because other people have them and you think you should have one is not, for me the point of owning or ordering one, I played the same Warwick Thumb 1990 original for 18 years - by the time I ordered my firrst Sei (my Jazz is pretty awesome as well) I was heartily sick of my Thumb; it's sound was great but its weight, and feel (the neck needed a lot of work doing to it through wear and tear) and I'd already pimped the hell out of it - getting my Sei single cut was the start of the rest of my bass playing life and three years after first getting the bass its sounding sweeter and playing better than ever: I love it.

Sorry but some of us [i]have[/i] reached the point where we know what we want from an instrument and it's a nice place to be - I'm not saying there aren't thousands of other wonderful instruments (in fact there are too many wonderful instruments) out there or judging anyone else's tatstes, I just don't have the time, energy or money to keep changing my mind - I'm very happy with my basses and so I can just concentrate on making music and being the best 'me' that I can be on MY bass. If you're still not sure what you want from a bass, or know how much you will use it, then it's probably not the time in your life to go spending 3K++ on an instrument - at some point you might be - until then patience is a virtue :)

Mike[/quote]

Mike's bass is lovely - I know, I've played it - but even when you know exactly what you want it's still 50-50 whether you'll get what you hoped for or bond with the bass when it's finished. Martin Petersen himself has said he's never sure what a bass is going to be like until it's made (which makes complete sense; anyone who tells you otherwise is kidding themselves). Using non-boutiques as an example, if you play half a dozen Fenders, Rics, MMs etc, they seldom feel or sound exactly the same.

[quote name='silddx' post='1097215' date='Jan 21 2011, 10:44 AM']They imagine the ONE bass will make them practice, and play more often and better, they imagine they will not be able to put this bass down. They will make magic on this bass. The bass will have a perfectly compatible PERSONALITY with the person playing it. They will cherish the ONE bass and they will be rewarded with musical excitement. The bass and it's player will be a unique combination. They will be SPECIAL together. For some people it's an old Fender, for others it is a custom built instrument. They will spend many delicious months hunting in the unknown forests and fields of pawn shops, auctions and forums to find that mojoed old Jazz bass with the unknown history that they can have a true relationship with. Or likewise for the custom built ONE bass. Poring over technicalities, specifications, colours, hardware, woods, electronics .. they can FEEL this bass in their hands. They KNOW what it's going to be like opening the case for the first time, the smell, the weight, the patient but desperate excitement waiting for the SVT to warm up - the anticipation that the first note they play on it will summon forth God! They know this will happen because to convince their wife, they first had to convince themselves. This bass will be so well matched to the player that those tricky 16th note arpeggios will now be easier, and finally they will be able to fully express themselves.[/quote]

For me, in 2004, this dream came true. But from the evidence i certainly appear to be one of the lucky ones :)

Oh, and unless you're super rich I suggest not commissioning a bass untill you've at least owned a P, a J, an MM, a Warwick, a Ric... and played through the same rig, the one you'll never change, you know? :) All those basses can be bought second hand and sold at little or no loss. That way when you do go in with 2k in hand and a glint in your eye you'll know why you don't want a bass that has found its way onto stages all over the world, and trust me (and a whole load of other members on BC who have gone through 20+ basses) there usually really is a good reason why the big names mentioned above are, well, big names!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1099867' date='Jan 23 2011, 05:43 PM']I have to disagree, All Rics felt the same to me! I can't bring myself to finish the joke but you know where I was going :)[/quote]
Joking aside, I've played about a hundred and I'd say about 10, maybe 15 of them felt really similar. So it shows how discerning [i]you[/i] are. :)

I've played all of the 'big names' (not just in music shops, but in studios and on gigs) and ended up buying none of them, just didn't have 'my sound'. On the recommendation of a colleague I bought my current bass unseen and loved it. I still do. Every time I pick it up it feels as good as it always has. Just got lucky I guess.

[quote name='4000' post='1100206' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:05 PM']Joking aside, I've played about a hundred and I'd say about 10, maybe 15 of them felt really similar. So it shows how discerning [i]you[/i] are. :)[/quote]

Yes I concede you are right, some dug in to my arm way more than others. The neck dive was very consistent though! :)

I appologise in advance to all Ric fans for my below the belt comments.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1100238' date='Jan 23 2011, 10:26 PM']Yes I concede you are right, some dug in to my arm way more than others. The neck dive was very consistent though! :)

I appologise in advance to all Ric fans for my below the belt comments.[/quote]

I should think so too. :) Actually, the neck dive [i]isn't[/i] consistent. I've had some that haven't dived at all and others that have. As for digging into your arm, think yourself lucky you don't experience what I experience with forearm contours! :lol:

Having ordered a custom bass in the past and found it wasn't quite what I wanted after all, all I can say is that it seemed like a great idea at the time and I'm delighted with myself for having had the vision to look beyond stock in the first place. It didn't work out, but so what? You've got to try new things. Better to try and fail than to never try at all. I still have it and I still use it but, in all honestly, I now realise I couldn't be satisfied with just one bass. I'm in the middle of defretting it and restringing tuned to E-A-D-G-C and, now that you can't get Q-tuners anymore, I'm glad I ordered it when I did.

I've started the long, long haul of saving with a Wal in mind. Will it be the one? No, it'll just be different to what I have and what I can get out of the shops over here, which are largely just P and J variations anyway.

I love this topic.
I've owned and played to death the same bass for 20 years (only one bass in 20 years, my lovely Yamaha BB1600) not even thinking for a moment that the problems I had with finger stretching and technique were due to the 35" scale and the 20mm string spacing.
Two years ago I discovered there was a whole universe of different instruments which I had always been aware of but had never been able to try out (living in South Italy did not help, also).
In these two years I've bought and sold more basses thank I could think of.
Many of them have been sold two days after I have received them because they simply did not click.
Now I own a Zon and a jazz RI62 two great basses with a perfect sound. much more expensive than my Yamaha BB1600 but I still cannot link to any them.
The Yamaha feels like a log in my hands nowadays and I could not play it anymore, but...
I would never order a custom bass.
All I can do, living in nowhereland, is to buy basses which can be resold quickly if I don't like them. No sense to order a custom Roscoe if the resale value will be (if I'm lucky) one third of what I paid for it.
The Fender gives me the perfect sound for some music. The Zon has a modern sound which is perfect for other music.
------------------
About custom instruments low price I have my idea :
When someone orders a custom XYZ is prepared to shed 3000£ for it.
If he should not like the bass, I assume he should be prepared to lose let's say 200 or 300£ to resell it.
Same thing for the second owner, which would lose 200£ reselling it (we're not talking of basses with a strong resale value), and so on, until the bass reaches its used market value, which is the standard price similar basses has been sold for.

I don't mean to just add a +1 to this, but so far there has only been one selection of basses that I have preferred to my Stingray and Thumb, and they have all been Overwater Jazz basses. Standard Fenders don't really do it for me, and I am unsure as to whether my Shuker will be able to fulfil that lust either (I don't currently know, because when I got it (second hand) the front pickup wasn't working, and the neck was poorly set-up).

But even when I know how much I love those basses, I still get a proper smile when I pick up either of my basses, because they sound beautiful!

[quote name='Davo-London' post='1104592' date='Jan 27 2011, 12:06 AM']I don't think i have ever seen so much ignorance and jealousy in a single thread.

It's up to the owner whether they keep or sell their custom bass.

It's no-one else's business.

Davo[/quote]

I did say ages ago that everyone should remember there are lots of very happy custom bass owners but surely putting it for sale is making it someone elses business that's why it's called doing business. The ones that aren't for sale aren't being commented on the ones for sale are open for business as it were. I'm not even one of the posters making negative comments and the ignorant and jelous comment pisses me off! I like a custom bass and could afford one if I wanted (not exactly tat in my sig with a combined value more than enough to fund anything within reason) so where's the ignorance or jealousy?