Why become a member? ×

Thickening up the sound..

Jigster

A Sansamp Bass Driver, or the Behringer BD121 equivalent of the Sansamp, with the drive set to nil would do this. I used a Sansamp with an old Trace Elliot setup for this exact same purpose. Worked nicely, made the Trace sound all big, warm and valvey, but without the gain/fuzz.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1086384' date='Jan 12 2011, 08:21 AM']What bass and amp are you using?

And when you say 'thickening up' the sound, are you after something that will be always-on or some kind of enhancement for sections such as choruses?

Dan[/quote]

hmm, well depends to be honest - have an active Sandberg, which I don't think needs any addition, but also use a passive jazz and wondering it might need some enhancement playing live - we're a three piece but drummer and guitarist both v loud - the rig depends on the gig: sometime suse what's there, or my own rig is in my sig -

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='1086550' date='Jan 12 2011, 11:57 AM']+1 on the Sansamp Bass Driver. I once saw a quote (on TB I think) that said they only put a footswitch on it so you could hear how much better it made the sound when activated. I have to agree...it will turn a flat uninspiring sound into something truely fantastic.[/quote]

It does sound great. Adds a character to the sound but you dont have to have the grit, (although I have some!). Probably the best pedal for bass Ive used apart from the Aguilar Tone Hammer.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1087137' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:54 PM']I like the BDDI but that huge cut at 500hz changes the sound in a way I don't really like;[/quote]

It's beginning to annoy me too. I shall be spending a lot of time at rehearsal this evening fiddling with my BDDI. I can see the blend control setting getting lower and lower...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1089492' date='Jan 14 2011, 04:20 PM']It's beginning to annoy me too. I shall be spending a lot of time at rehearsal this evening fiddling with my BDDI. I can see the blend control setting getting lower and lower...[/quote]
IMO, you're on a hiding to nothing. Roll the blend right back, and A/B it against the bypassed signal. That darn cut is still there...

Roll the bass and treble off (theoretically boosting the mids, relatively speaking), and it just doesn't sound right. The Para DI won't help, either...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1089498' date='Jan 14 2011, 04:26 PM']IMO, you're on a hiding to nothing. Roll the blend right back, and A/B it against the bypassed signal. That darn cut is still there...

Roll the bass and treble off (theoretically boosting the mids, relatively speaking), and it just doesn't sound right. The Para DI won't help, either...[/quote]

I rolled it back to 30%BDDI /70% dry signal last night and it sounded pretty good, bit of a scoop but not too dramatic. I can live with it for a while...

But you've answered my next question, about the Para DI.
:)