Why become a member? ×

Your 5 most influential/inspirational bassists

grayn

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt I could keep it to 5, here's mine:

On Vinyl/ CD:

1) Jaco Pastorius - My all time favourite bass player, made me realise that you could do a lot more than play roots!
2) Bruce Foxton - The main reason why I picked up bass in the first place.
3) Donald "Duck" Dunn - Booker T & the MG's are my all time favourite R&B / Soul rhythm section.
4) Pino Palladino - Great taste in bass playing from this fella.
5) James Jamerson - Flawless bass playing on the Motown label.

Personal:
1) Garth Thomas - My first bass teacher, who used to teach from Andre's Music Shop in Croydon. Only had three lessons, but he pointed me in the right direction.
2) Tony Muschamp - Used to be head of The Bass Institute in Acton, did a 10 week part time course, learned a lot in that time. Good bloke too.
3) Mike Tracy - Head of Jazz Studies at the University of Louisville School of Music in Kentucky (and the only non bass player in this list). Spent 90 mins every morning for a week in 2003 in his theory class at a Jamey Aebersold Jazz School in Richmond, Surrey, very inspirational teacher, gave us enough theory to work on for a lifetime.
4) Paul Geary - To this point, the best bass teacher I've ever had, gave me a lot of inspiration to play the instrument better than I had been.

Edited by louisthebass

JJ Burnel (Surprise!) It's all his fault!
Norman Watt-Roy
Mike Mills
John Paul Jones
Chris Thompson(Screaming Blue Messiahs)

Honourable mentions for Stu Morrow (New Model Army), Kim Deal, Greg Norton (Husker Du), Craig Adams (Sisters of Mercy) and Steve Hanley (The Fall).

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1325697940' post='1486292']
I think Flea and JJ Burnell seem to be number one for alot of people, but not that many like both of them, I wonder if it's seperated by taste or by age?
[/quote]
I like 'em both - but they are VERY different in playing style. They are both ultra cool in their own distinct way. Flea is a great player with a distinctive playing style - although not the way I would identify with. Love the RHCP music in general though.

JJB is THE man - the reason why I picked up a bass in the first place.

One that many people wouldnt think of is [b]Steve Garvey [/b]of The Buzzcocks. some of those early Buzzcocks tracks have excellant bass tone, not forgetting some dextrous fingering.

Below is a sample for all you Philistines who aint heard him :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRzScthaPOE[/media]

Edited by daz

[b]Andy Fraser, Pino , Mick Karn[/b] (the reason I ordered my Wal)[b] Graham Maby[/b](Joe Jackson) and all other bassists of the world. We are influenced by all that we come across, even if it's to make us realise we don't like, which in turn can inspire us in the opposite direction. Deep!

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1325754941' post='1486999']
One that many people wouldnt think of is [b]Steve Garvey [/b]of The Buzzcocks. some of those early Buzzcocks tracks have excellant bass tone, not forgetting some dextrous fingering.[/quote]

Agreed mate! I saw The Buzzcocks a few times back in the day. I like his playing a lot, tracks like I Need and Love You More are nice to play a long too.

Another great and somewhat overlooked player from that era is [b]Leeroy Gorman[/b] (original Adam & the Ants line up & later Bow Wow Wow)
[url="http://youtu.be/WxLqzZE2l2g"]http://youtu.be/WxLqzZE2l2g[/url]

Initially;
JJ Burnel - He caused me to want to play bass, all that energy and that sound.
Roger Waters - Dark Side Of The Moon, played the album repeatedly.
Chris Squire - Again, the sound.
John Deacon - Always in the background, never over played anything, not overly complicated but just right.
Sting - Early Police, fun and not too difficult to play.

Latterly;
Roscoe Beck
James Jamerson
Pino Palladino
Rhino Edwards
Bruce Foxton

Mine changed from a year ago.

1. James Jamerson. What can I say, most important bass player of all time.
2. Pino Palladino. I think he's got the best feel of any bass player on the planet, and he's probably the only one from the list that could share my top spot with Jamerson as my favourite.
3. Anthony Jackson. Unreal musician. Non-conformist, and a musical genius, dare I say it, best bass player alive today? I probably shouldn't (very subjective) but I often think it.
4. Bakithi Kumalo. I love his stuff with Paul Simon, he's incredibly inventive and has a great groove.
5. Carol Kaye I think would be my last one. I think she's insane, but she clearly is an incredible bass player and contributed to some of my very favourite music.

Edited by risingson

Flea - first bass lines I ever learnt
Stuart Zender - I'm still finding new things to be amazed by in his playing
Damian Erskine - deepest pocket I ever heard and a great sound, plus his advice is down to earth and easy to follow (No Treble)
James Jamerson - you play bass, you're influenced by him
Jaco Pastorius - ditto

Edit: Janek Gwizdala just missed out on the top 5
Edit: so did Anthony Jackson
Edit: and Matt Garrison
Edit: Pino Palladino and Lee Sklar are pretty good too
Edit: and I've got Victor Wooten's book, so I guess that'd be an influence as well...

Edited by bassist_lewis

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

For me it has to be who was most prominent when i started playing
sting
Bruce foxton
John Taylor
pino
Nick beggs.

But as i got more into rock
Steve Harris
Andy Fraser
Neil Murray
Phil lynott
suzi quattro
all the people i listen to at the time.
I still like sting and his more modern approach with his thumb
billy shehan for widdling
My wife because she plays like me
Mark king, bootsey, Chris squire all because they are un unmistakable

At the moment:

John Myung
Billy Sheehan
Tony Levin
Victor Wooten
Tony Dickinson (Awesome guy from youtube who does lots of covers and such, style's very similar to mine but a LOT tighter)

I tend to latch onto players I feel I have something in common with, but also something I aspire to have MORE in common with!