Why become a member? ×

Precisions

Chris Horton

[quote name='FEND3R' timestamp='1393316125' post='2378494']

From left to right - '78 mij Morris, '98 Duck Dunn signature, '84 mij Squier SQ series and a custom luthier made to my specifications '57. The first three are completely stock with original cases, case candy and hang tags. What can I say - I am one happy man!
[/quote]

I remember the build diary for that '57, such a great finish on it!

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted a p bass aggressive tone so set about building one with help from guys on here. not perfect as a few dings and a super glue mark where i was learning and getting carried away.could not have or would have tried without the help on here.
mim body
gotoh bridge
dimarzio dp122 pick ups
roto swing 66 110 gauge strings
mighty mite p bass neck
Kiogon 500k wiring loom :D
only thing bought from a shop was the machine heads which are sh*te quality, the screws were useless

really aggressive punchy sound which is what i wanted to try and get close to early stranglers sound
[attachment=157035:ZOE_0033.jpg]

[quote name='Grissle' timestamp='1394390065' post='2390940']

Lovely! Black -n- Red Tort just works!
[/quote]

Thanks!

It's not actually red, it does look very red because of the light. In real life it's somewhere between red and brown, I was really happy when I got it from the Bass Doc as it's exactly what I wanted.

Had to check they didn't have to be proper fenders.. :D My rescued from a shed probably 80s marlin.
'Naturally' relic-ed - ie old and beat up. It was red when i got it, before that it appears it may have been silver and before that black...

[attachment=157278:IMG_20140310_213839.jpg]

And i take my brand seriously:

[attachment=157279:IMG_20140310_213859.jpg]

• 2 weeks later...

My, my there are some nice basses in here. Wow.

I've always wanted a '58 Precision, in white, with the gold pickguard. But they cost a lot, so I figured I'd put a bitsa together instead, because it'll be cheaper. All that's left to do is give it a refinish, and I'm done!

I went for some Quarter Pounder pickups, and a Babicz bridge, and oh my does it sound good.

Very pleased with how it has turned out, just need to get the paint sorted and shield the electronics cavity properly and it's finished.

It looks better in the picture than in reality: has its dings and dongs, quite some buckle rash on the back of the body, and the pickguard is shrunken, so that the tin plate protrudes all around.

The finish on the back of the neck is worn down completely - that neck feels so good!! I never had a bass that played so smoothely. Fantastic. And it's a featherweight with 3520 g. And the tone! Elegant warm and rich. B) All this makes up for the quite colourful sunburst finish which I actually don't like that much.

[quote name='Tweedledum' timestamp='1395667143' post='2404808']
It looks better in the picture than in reality: has its dings and dongs, quite some buckle rash on the back of the body, and the pickguard is shrunken, so that the tin plate protrudes all around.

The finish on the back of the neck is worn down completely - that neck feels so good!! I never had a bass that played so smoothely. Fantastic. And it's a featherweight with 3520 g. And the tone! Elegant warm and rich. B) All this makes up for the quite colourful sunburst finish which I actually don't like that much.
[/quote]

Well you can always pass it this way if you're not a fan lol. Seriously though, that is STUNNING!

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1396288713' post='2411904']
My Jap made 57 RI which is now sadly in the for sale section :(

[url="https://flic.kr/p/msjzLj"][/url]
[/quote]

That's a cool looking bass! And I guess it plays well, too. Really, you should keep it.

My current two mains, both self builds bitsa's

On the left

Meranti Body in Cadburys Purple Nitro, Allparts neck, Chromed brass pickguard, 60s style tuners (from a Japcrap), US P bass pickups, Gotoh 201 bridge, Fender roundwounds, CTF/Sprague/Switchcraft controls.

On the right

Fender Standard replacement Alder body (in Black), Allparts Neck, B/W/B pickguard, 70's style tuners fro a Steve Harris sig P bass, US P bass pickups, Gotoh 201 bridge, Fender roundwounds, CTF/Sprague/Switchcraft controls.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1396528177' post='2414657']
My current two mains, both self builds bitsa's

On the left

Meranti Body in Cadburys Purple Nitro, Allparts neck, Chromed brass pickguard, 60s style tuners (from a Japcrap), US P bass pickups, Gotoh 201 bridge, Fender roundwounds, CTF/Sprague/Switchcraft controls.

On the right

Fender Standard replacement Alder body (in Black), Allparts Neck, B/W/B pickguard, 70's style tuners fro a Steve Harris sig P bass, US P bass pickups, Gotoh 201 bridge, Fender roundwounds, CTF/Sprague/Switchcraft controls.
[/quote]

Good work, looking great.