Why become a member? ×

Watching other bass players

Roland Rock

It is funny..when you lighten up with any attitude, you'll find people come over and speak to you more often..
When I was uptight, maybe that came across and no one spoke to me...at all...!!

Nowadays, lots do..and then we talk bass and stuff..and I am often way behind on my packing up..
But I enjoy that part of it now and I now know everything is so much better... the playing, the sound, everything.

So, if things come across as pleasant people will approach you, and you'll get s much more banter.

As for critique, I know when I have been good or not so empty endorsements don't really do that much for me...but I also don't see anything wrong is telling people you enjoyed their set..

If you start with the negative, people remember that about you..and I have more bass playing friends that I have even had.. :) :)

Who needs to make it any more of a competition than it already is...??
If you are pretty confident about what you do... you don't really want to stand around wanting to pull something apart when you shold be enjoying the gig or the night out/off..!!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1066309' date='Dec 21 2010, 11:41 PM']2: I'll focus on the bass player and compare their standard to my own. If I feel they're better than me, I'll sit back and enjoy the show. If I feel they're not as good as me, a bit of smugness creeps in. I'm not proud of this, and generally regard myself as a nice person, but that's how it is.[/quote]
When my current band was invited by my old band (who had dumped me for a mate of the guitarist's) to support them, this was the one. I managed to conceal being unbearably smug quite well, I think.

Depending on the situation I think one of two things

"Wow I could do that and it would sound a hell of a lot better, why am I not in a band?"

or

"Wow that guy pisses all over my playing, there's no way I want to embarrass myself in a band until I get to that standard of playing"

It goes something like this:

1. I wouldn't have played that choice of notes
2. But what they did was pretty good
3. In fact now I've heard it again that's very good
4. Oh. That's really good. How did they do that?
5. Jeez – I really must practice.
6. Oh oh... no amount of practice will get me to that level
7. Go home and place bass in bin and take up archery. (Long stick with single string - I might manage with that.)
:)

I think honesty has its place - combined with diplomacy. Most bass players I've chatted to have been self-deprecating enough to point out their faults before I've said anything, and that means I can remain positive about any comments.

Its really not false modesty to say that I am competent on bass but no more. Thus I tend to watch other bass players with a mix of envy at their greater facility (except for some of the really cr@p punk bassists I have seen!) but also a vague feeling of brotherhood. I am also a gear stalker so will always check out their bass and rig!

I try and 'switch off' and enjoy the performance but don't always manage to do that. If I'm watching an original band then I find that quite easy to do. With covers bands it's more difficult as bum notes scream out to me, and basslines that are over-simplified compared to the original really grate with me.
As with others, I'll always make an effort to tell the band if I've enjoyed their performance, or perhaps leave a comment to that effect on NWB or RoTN websites. If asked my opinion, I will try provide some constructive feedback, eg "that solo was good, maybe boost the level/add some treble so it cuts through more next time" type comment.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='1067451' date='Dec 23 2010, 08:58 AM']I try and 'switch off' and enjoy the performance but don't always manage to do that. If I'm watching an original band then I find that quite easy to do. With covers bands it's more difficult as bum notes scream out to me, and basslines that are over-simplified compared to the original really grate with me.
As with others, I'll always make an effort to tell the band if I've enjoyed their performance, or perhaps leave a comment to that effect on NWB or RoTN websites. If asked my opinion, I will try provide some constructive feedback, eg "that solo was good, maybe boost the level/add some treble so it cuts through more next time" type comment.[/quote]

RoTN, great website for Northern bands and a nice bunch who run it!

I tend to try and be positive regardless of what the band were like - I don't like giving criticism, whether constructive or otherwise, because it usually comes out wrong and is taken the wrong way! I must say my eyes are usually drawn to the bass player at most gigs I see, but I do try and enjoy the band for what it is.

Adrenochrome, which band do you play for? I think I've probably seen you out and about in West Yorkshire, did you play one of the RoTN do's last year?

[quote name='Michaelg' post='1067475' date='Dec 23 2010, 09:20 AM']i think i look at bands collectively as opposed to individuals each playing an instrument. although i do have a very prejudiced rule - any bass player that wears a hat on stage means i refuse to watch their band or even talk to them. thats my only rule, its as simple as that.[/quote]

Oh Dear - does that include a sequined Santa hat?

Firstly, I normally think I wish I had a gig that night.

Secondly, if they have a six string I think it's going to be a long night, unless they're very, very good indeed. That's once so far.

Thirdly, if I'm playing and another bass player compliments my playing, I think "damn it, I over played tonight."

[quote name='benh' post='1067459' date='Dec 23 2010, 09:08 AM']RoTN, great website for Northern bands and a nice bunch who run it!

I tend to try and be positive regardless of what the band were like - I don't like giving criticism, whether constructive or otherwise, because it usually comes out wrong and is taken the wrong way! I must say my eyes are usually drawn to the bass player at most gigs I see, but I do try and enjoy the band for what it is.

Adrenochrome, which band do you play for? I think I've probably seen you out and about in West Yorkshire, did you play one of the RoTN do's last year?[/quote]

Eyup Ben!
My main band is Delirium. I'm also in Angel Of Sin (currently on a baby break) and yes we've done quite a few RoTN gigs, conventions, Frock Of The North etc. We played at Travsfest in 2009 which is the only time we've been on the same bill I think. Good to hear from you.
Cheers, Jon

My tutor told me "You're a competant bassist now" but i do see some guys out there and think "WOW" I try to make a point of chatting to bands and esp the bassist (obviously). If they've done a good little run or pulled a good groove i'll ask 'em if they mind me trying it. If they come over all "attitude" I'll smile at 'em and walk off.

Always try and keep an eye on the Bass Player mostly. I'm not a technical nor a trained player, what I do more or less comes naturally, so I can usually pick up something in the way of technique - then forget it by the time I get home.

I originally learned by watching others. Fortunately for me, in the 70s there were some great bands doing pubs round Birmingham.

Surely nobody is so good that they cant learn anything from watching somebody else, even from somebody who can hardly play.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1068559' date='Dec 24 2010, 10:12 AM']Who is he ?[/quote]

An American that can't play bass, but can apparently do anything else.

:)

If they're good I usually watch in amazement, and if they're bad (bum notes/bad timing) then I curl up inside and sometimes outside if they're really bad.

Whether I'd tell them they were bad is another matter: if they were good I'd want to talk with/complement them, but otherwise I'd probably walk away. It's very difficult to provide critique of another musician in a way that doesn't either discourage them or make them defensive and angry.

[quote name='Moonstomper' post='1068092' date='Dec 23 2010, 06:52 PM']My tutor told me "You're a competant bassist now" but i do see some guys out there and think "WOW" I try to make a point of chatting to bands and esp the bassist (obviously). If they've done a good little run or pulled a good groove i'll ask 'em if they mind me trying it. If they come over all "attitude" I'll smile at 'em and walk off.[/quote]

To be fair though,I know that if someone came upto me and said "That was cool,can I have a go?",I'd probably say no. It's not about copping an attitude,but right after I've finished playing,I don't feel like teaching or letting someone I don't know play my bass.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1069183' date='Dec 25 2010, 10:21 AM']To be fair though,I know that if someone came upto me and said "That was cool,can I have a go?",I'd probably say no. It's not about copping an attitude,but right after I've finished playing,I don't feel like teaching or letting someone I don't know play my bass.[/quote]

Or, ''There's plenty more of those on our CD, here.''

[quote name='Doddy' post='1069183' date='Dec 25 2010, 10:21 AM']To be fair though,I know that if someone came upto me and said "That was cool,can I have a go?",I'd probably say no. It's not about copping an attitude,but right after I've finished playing,I don't feel like teaching or letting someone I don't know play my bass.[/quote]

How about when you unplug your bass, put it on the rack/stand and go sort out your leads or fx board, only to turn around to see some rat arsed fool 'playing' your bass.
And why cant these people seem to grasp the concept of a strap? You know the pose. Half kneeling, half squatting, ALL bastard. Bass perched on their knee at some god-awful angle. One slip on a shiney tracksuit away from a new neck.
Last guy who tried that with my Streamer was a very sorry buck.

I don't analyze others playing too much these days, what difference to the world does it make?. I really get off on watching players do stuff that i can't such as the Jaco or Wooten styles though. I also try to be open to other genre's respecting what they do even if not to my tastes for example thrash metal players - i appreciate their speed and energy etc.

I beleieve we're all bass players here some more accomplished on techniques, others have better groove/feel, and some are beginners whilst others are outright hilarious etc....but most of all we're an alliance and should stick together. :)