Why become a member? ×

What's the best bass for a great 'B' string?

thebrig

I don't think there is a "best".

One theory says the longer the B string the better the tone, which is why many 5 string basses are 35". Others disagree. I think both can work depending on the instrument. My 35" Lakland is great and so is my 34" Wal.

Different brands of strings will also greatly change the feel of the B string. Some have a higher tension by design and can help to give a tighter sound. I'd certainly recommend a higher gauge and for me a brighter toned string too, especially if you have a 34" scale vs 35, 36 etc

To be more specific the B string on my Ibanez (I've used Elixir 130 and DR Hi Beam 125 so this is not an exhaustive list) although it can sound ok, feels floppy and without great attack...

The 37" B string on the Dingwall (using Hi Beam alikes) has the same feel/tension/attack/timbre as the other four strings.. And great sustain..

Given the OP is asking about an SR505 specifcally my SR765 observations are probably relevant... The BTB B string sounds better (35") and the string spacing is better than the SR's 16.5 mm which I find a little tight...

Mark

[quote name='markstuk' post='1062708' date='Dec 18 2010, 06:05 PM']To be more specific the B string on my Ibanez (I've used Elixir 130 and DR Hi Beam 125 so this is not an exhaustive list) although it can sound ok, feels floppy and without great attack...

The 37" B string on the Dingwall (using Hi Beam alikes) has the same feel/tension/attack/timbre as the other four strings.. And great sustain..

Given the OP is asking about an SR505 specifcally my SR765 observations are probably relevant... The BTB B string sounds better (35") and the string spacing is better than the SR's 16.5 mm which I find a little tight...

Mark[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, I have thought about trying a BTB to see whether it would be a better option

I'd take all talk about great 'B' strings on a lot of basses with a pinch of salt.
I'd have to hear it.

Your strings will help but you really have the have to bass be able to be set up with a good resonant and clear B.
A lot of basses don't do this with regular strings and the bass is defined by its ability to do this, so with a B, it is more critical, IMO

[quote name='thebrig' post='1062648' date='Dec 18 2010, 06:55 PM']I'm thinking of getting a Ibanez SR505 as I like my SR500 so much.
But does it have a decent B on it, both tonally and tension?
Do I need a 35" scale, and what strings and guage do you recommend to get good definition?[/quote]

I don't really believe that longer scale thing..
That's because when I got my ACG, which is 33" scale, and it was strung B-G back then, the B sounded ridiculously good - maybe the best I've encountered so far..

Although I switched to E-C shortly after, as I prefer this tuning on fiver..

I have Ibby SR Prestige, which is 34" scale, and B string also sounds very good - crisp and clean.

As for strings, you can do worse than choose Elixirs..

For whats its worth I use DR HiBeams on my 5 string P bass as they are alleged to have a little more stiffness to them and I cartainly can feel them putting up a littel more resistance than my 4 string DR's.

See ed friedlands great a/b on DR strings where he takes a load of DR brand strings and does comparisons and give a frank and interesting account on the differences with audio clips.

Link added:

[url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0609newsletter.html[/url]

Edited by krispn

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1063311' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:47 AM']2001 called, it wants it's thread back![/quote]
Please make allowances for newbies.
I'm a newish player too, so I am just seeking some advice from you more experienced people out there.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1063394' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:48 AM']The best B in my opinion was one of the first 5 string basses - the Musicman Stingray. Its not that heavy but probably a bit too heavy for you if your looking for something a bit more lightweight.[/quote]

Im going to take the compliment on a Ray five and leave again...........

And EBS_freak you know better than to stir the thread up :)

I am not sure he is stirring up a thread or stating what is generally known.

I don't know the history of threads but the very first question I ask of a fender 5 is about the B for sure.
Out of all then pertinent 5's that should be on your radar, the Fender was the most ..err.. difficult, IMO.
Whether it was because they were amongst the 1st 5's typically or not.. but the B's weren't good on the ones I found...and neither were many others..which is why I went the custom route.

This is why the makers went down the Neck through v bolt-on, 34/35" scale route as it wasn't given that a decent bass could have a nice defined B string.
As far as I can tell..it still isn't..you need to hear almost every one.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1063027' date='Dec 18 2010, 10:27 PM']I'd take all talk about great 'B' strings on a lot of basses with a pinch of salt.
I'd have to hear it.[/quote]

+1. Id try them out if I were you. I have different experiences to everyone else. We all have different definitions of what makes a great bass. Don't be too hung up on getting the best B out there. Why? Because the rest of the strings are just as important. I didnt realise this until after reading an interview with Paul Turner, who apparently favours 4s but uses a 5 for some tracks. His comments were that its important to have an eveness and consistency throughout the strings, eg some basses can have amazing whomping Bs, but rather average on the rest of the strings! You want a smooth transition from one string to another, so its not so obvious like 'hey im playing my BBBBBBBB string now!!!'.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1063394' date='Dec 19 2010, 11:48 AM']The best B in my opinion was one of the first 5 string basses - the Musicman Stingray. Its not that heavy but probably a bit too heavy for you if your looking for something a bit more lightweight.[/quote]

The Ray 5 is the industry standard 5, and this is why I thought Id like it. I do, luckily, its a very even instrument, and the string spacing really works for me. The B doesnt scream 'wow this is a BBBBB string', its just as clear as the other strings, which is what I wanted. Sure, if you have your amp on fairly loud, that B string sounds thunderous, but to a certain extent a lot of them will.

My personal experience with Lakland was the DJ5 and JO5, both 35" scale. It does feel a little odd, but you can get used to it very quickly. My gripe was that the Bs felt quite....hmm, they were VERY bassy, very prominant....almost a little too slack. That could have been anything though, so test some and see how you feel. My hands felt like they were really working hard on the 35" scale, but only after a lonnnng test.

I do think an active bass can make quite a difference in the world of B strings. Its not necessarily the EQ, its the sheer power when you pluck it lightly.

Edited by Musicman20

For me, the B needs to be clear, but not only at open string... it needs to be usable and defined as far past the 7th fret as possible. This is no easy task and really sorts the men out from the boys. An open B is not that hard to be clear..the fretted notes above need the same consistancy.

As a novice 5er for me the main thing I noticed was some of the 5's can best be summed up as a 4+1 rather than just 5 if you know what I mean? The Jazz 5 felt like a normal jazz 4 with a big string from the wrong gauge packet of strings along side it. Maybe thats what some people want I have no idea but for me I just want it to feel even in every sense of the word.