Why become a member? ×

Sick & tired of tripping on leads!! What's a good wireless system

Grand Wazoo

As per the title, cables are getting on my nerves, I want to be able to roam free both at home and gigs, without dragging mike stands and getting caught in guitarists 'ckin' pedalboards and sh**

I wanna go wireless, which is a good one for bass that'll faithfully reproduce the signal?

Thanks

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='1054078' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:33 PM']Ashdown do one specificaly for Bass with a built in Amp Modulator...
i use them now and then, and they keep the bottom end and tone completely..IMO[/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]they keep the bottom end and tone completely..[/b] [/color]?? Sorry I don't get it, they keep it completely what?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1054084' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:36 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]they keep the bottom end and tone completely..[/b] [/color]?? Sorry I don't get it, they keep it completely what?[/quote]

they keep it 'there'..

if you use normal/guitar wireless systems you lose the bottom end from your sound...from what i have experienced anyways.

Sharp reply dude.

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='1054097' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:43 PM']they keep it 'there'..

if you use normal/guitar wireless systems you lose the bottom end from your sound...from what i have experienced anyways.

Sharp reply dude.[/quote]

I didn't mean to be sharp I thought your sentence was missing the objective, as if it got deleted , I thought you meant... comepetely tight or completely present but then now I understand what you meant, so my fault for misunderstanding.

Cheers :) the joys of internet comms.

[quote name='jimijimmi' post='1054100' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:44 PM'][url="http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=213"]http://www.ashdownmusic.com/bass/detail.asp?ID=213[/url]

use that, and have a read up on them..
if youre around Brum youre more than welcome to use mine for reference.[/quote]

Thanks a lot, I live in London, presently I am in Italy for a bit, but I will check out the Ashdown when I get back.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1054103' date='Dec 10 2010, 02:45 PM']I didn't mean to be sharp I thought your sentence was missing the objective, as if it got deleted , I thought you meant... comepetely tight or completely present but then now I understand what you meant, so my fault for misunderstanding.

Cheers :) the joys of internet comms.[/quote]

no worries!

i understand how it mislead you..call it quits :)

The stage clix one looks good but it is recommended for passive basses

Ive got two Samsons but TBH they work, and they are very convenient, no mucking about with a tranny on your strap or in your pocket, but they dont match up in terms of quality to the Line 6 X2 or the relay. Doesnt really notice on stage, but it does at home or in the studio

Personally, if I wanted the best quality I would probably opt for a line 6 relay.

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='1054285' date='Dec 10 2010, 05:04 PM']I got a bog standard Samson bug. Does the job, Precision sounds fine.

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=145&brandID=1"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...5&brandID=1[/url][/quote]

How are you getting on with the Classic Vibe 50s Mick?

[quote name='Mickeyboro' post='1054285' date='Dec 10 2010, 05:04 PM']I got a bog standard Samson bug. Does the job, Precision sounds fine.

[url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=145&brandID=1"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...5&brandID=1[/url][/quote]
I've been using one of these since they came out, barely any tonal difference between this and the George L's leads I use, certainly nothing you or anyone would notice live. Wireless = the only way you'll ever get to hear yourself FOH from loads of deifferent places, and also make sure you're not the victim to some cowboy sparky's wiring.

I use a Line 6 Relay G50, having tried several wireless units I concluded this was the best for me. I tried 2 other digital systems the Stageclix (very nicely made, but would need and extension cable to move the sender away from the guitar body if using an active, due to interference) and a Brace DWG (noisy, massive latency, loss of low end and ate batteries - but cheap).

Other big plus point with the Line 6 is the battery life and level indication is excellent so there's no chance of getting caught out with a loss of power.

Line6 G30, without hesitation.
Both myself and the guitarist in one of the bands I play in use it (6 channels, so we can still get a few more members hooked up :))

Sound great, never had an issue with them, battery life is good and the battery indicator on both transmitter and receiver work great. It uses a standard instrument cable plug too, which is a plus.

Freedom from trailing cables. One of the best pieces of kit I've bought in years.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1055328' date='Dec 11 2010, 07:52 PM']Line6 G30, without hesitation.
Both myself and the guitarist in one of the bands I play in use it (6 channels, so we can still get a few more members hooked up :))

Sound great, never had an issue with them, battery life is good and the battery indicator on both transmitter and receiver work great. It uses a standard instrument cable plug too, which is a plus.

Freedom from trailing cables. One of the best pieces of kit I've bought in years.[/quote]

I agree 100% with the above comment.

D.

I had an AKG system, think it was the WMS 40. It advertises as for guitar, although the included text says gtr/bass/keyboards. I used it with bass, and never noticed any drop off on the lows.

It certainly helped in my old band, which incorporated some very clumsy people. Saved my bass amp from being toppled over again, as it was when one of the clumsys got caught up in both my lead, and his mega out-of-tune-out-of-co-ordination-spin.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1055548' date='Dec 11 2010, 11:43 PM']I had an AKG system, think it was the WMS 40. It advertises as for guitar, although the included text says gtr/bass/keyboards. I used it with bass, and never noticed any drop off on the lows.

It certainly helped in my old band, which incorporated some very clumsy people. Saved my bass amp from being toppled over again, as it was when one of the clumsys got caught up in both my lead, and his mega out-of-tune-out-of-co-ordination-spin.[/quote]

Same here. My main set up is a WMS400. Been using it for about 5 years now and never noticed any tone issues. One batter lasts about 2 long gigs but i use a freshly recharged AA for each gig.

I also have a SR40/Guitar bug system that i use occasionally with my other band or at home.

My main reason for using them is because we play on some very small stages and i hate feeling leads under my feet. Its also good for sound checks as well as we do our own sound so its very useful if i can go and wonder around the room during set up.

Line 6 Relay G30. Payed £250 for it a couple of months back, batteries only died last night. I also walked out of the shop with it about 30 or so metres before the called to say it cut out completely (this was with the door closed and the reciever at the back of the room). I also taped the reciever to my strap with electricians tape, strap problem solved. I'd get a different lead though, A right angle to straight for convenience.

Zach