Why become a member? ×

Preparing for a jam

thunderbird13

I've been asked to go to a jam with a local band " just to see what happens " - so in other words its an audition but without anything prepared beforehand :)

In music terms they are glam rock ( The Sweet , Bowie, Queen etc.) The thing is I'm normally rubbish at coming up with things on the spot and even worse at trying to remember it afterwards. So the question is should I prepare some riffs beforehand and try to fit them in or should I just go with the flow and see what happens. In short how do you prepare jam ?

Cheers

Frankly, in the absence of anything concrete, I would maintain your own practice routine in order to keep your chops at the best level they can be and make suer your gear is good to go but, after that, relax and take it all as it comes. If they are not expecting you to prepare anything specific, they can't expect you to have anything prepared, can they :) Don't build this up to be anything other than what it is; a meeting to see if you can play and if they like you. If you are relaxed, you will be as good as you can be and will get the gig or not on that basis.

Yes, I think you should brief yourselves with their type of material if you think it is an audition is all but name.

The nature of a jam is anything goes..normally..but you don't think this is the case, it seems, so I would be prepared.

The way I would prepare for this sort of thing would be to listen to what I am expected to or in the style and just 'jam' it on the day if there wasn't much of a carrot at the end of it. If they are thinking about passing work my way, I'd give it due diligence, if they weren't I would just familiarise myself with the theme just enough to busk it and have fun.

If they aren't offering you anything upfront..but you suspect they are trying to suss your playing out for future work..make sure your chops are upto scratch and you are ballpark with the tunes..

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1052531' date='Dec 9 2010, 10:55 AM']Ok its a fair cop. I'll confess its a Jethro Tull tribute band :) :)[/quote]

Now [i]that [/i]would be cool. "The Minstrel INNN the gall-er-eeeeeeee"

I suppose it all comes down to what they mean by 'Jam'. If they mean it in the old-fashioned "Let's go round G, D and Am for 20 mins", you're laughing. If they mean "Let's run through 30 intricately arranged pop classics complete with dead stops and trick endings, all played in non-original flat / sharp keys to suit the singer", it's going to be a long old night.

Perhaps they might care to clarify. Either way, have a lovely time. :lol:

Edited by skankdelvar

I'd listen to some Glam & get a feel for it & just jam along & maybe learn the chord sequence to a couple of songs to jam to.

Whenever I've went for a jam it has been a case of working ideas around a riff or chord sequence & having fun. A couple of cracking songs have been born from jamming.

Rememember, it's about having fun :)

You think that's tricky? I've got to fill in for OTPJ in the house band he's in at a weekly jam session while he's doing his yearly panto stint! I probably know less than a tenth of the stuff he does. I nipped in last week to hear their warm up set knowing full well they could play 10 such sets and never play the same thing twice!

I'd learn a couple of glam standards so you know your way around them, but we're talking about glam here, not jazz fusion.

I suspect this jam will be more about feel rather than the keyboard player expecting a Chick Corea/Stanley Clarke style unison battle! All you can do really is get your gear in order and turn up and [i]listen[/i]. If you can listen to the band and find a way to fit in with what they're doing you're sorted. I don't think they can really ask much more than that from you at this stage!

I'd probably do little more than just my regular practice and just have a think about the genre, maybe have a go at a couple of more obvious standards. The danger of getting too bogged down in that though is any establshed band has a few well known hits so (picking on Slade for example) learning C'mon Feel the Noise or Mama We're All Crazy Now is a bit pointless if they are then spring Gudbye T'Jane or Coz I luv You on you. However it will get you thinking about how bassists play within the genre.

Also it's a jam so showing up in all the gear may have them laughing at you or certainly rolling their eyes. Having played in "image" bands a lot of players who don't live the look 24/7 will show up for rehearsals in regular gear.

Good luck & have fun with it

If you learn a tune they do and jump into it during warm up before someone calls a tune it's likely they'll follow giving you a first impression with something more prepared. I've used that little trick a few times. It's a nice confidence builder for the rest of the jam if you pull it off. Simply saying I've learned X could we start with that also works.

Then just play roots the rest of the time :)

The only real way to prepare for a jam is to listen.......alot.
As this is a Glam band,listen to a lot of Glam Rock. Stick on a CD ('Now Glam 34' or whatever) and try to play along. Get a feel for the songs and the style as a whole.I listen alot in the car,because I can listen without 'busking' along,which helps me to familiarise myself with the music.That way if it's a proper jam you'll be able to come up with appropriate parts,and if they're playing tunes,you'll know them.
We're talking about Glam,but this is applicable to any style of music.