Why become a member? ×

The Best Bass Playing Job

Pete Academy

[quote name='SteveK' post='1048277' date='Dec 5 2010, 02:53 PM']It's called [i]a retainer[/i] - not that uncommon. Been on retainers myself in the past.[/quote]

A 'friend of a firend' has just landed the guitard chair on the forthcoming Kylie world tour.
He's on a retainer of £3K a week for a year. Must be available 24-7 to go anywhere at a moment's notice.

For me it would be John Mc Vie from Fleetwood Mac. A guy who just happened to be in the right place at the right time! :) While not being able to sing backing vocals or any notable solo ventures, he is now living a life of luxury in Hawaii! :) Although not a brilliantly techical bassist, his lines are always able to complement the song "Go Your Own Way and Rhiannon" spring to mind.
Oh! and he's from just down the road from me in Ealing, West London! :lol:

[quote name='woodster' post='1050557' date='Dec 7 2010, 02:18 PM']A 'friend of a firend' has just landed the guitard chair on the forthcoming Kylie world tour.
He's on a retainer of £3K a week for a year. Must be available 24-7 to go anywhere at a moment's notice.[/quote]

Damn, I didn't want anyone finding out I played guitar!!!
:)

[quote name='J.R.Bass' post='1050454' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:00 PM']There is no way Nathan East is sterile.[/quote]

Apologies, I really shouldn't have referred to the players as sterile more the gig's they seem to get. I am aware that Nathan East (like all the names mentioned here) is an incredibly talented player who could shine in any band and by all accounts he's a really nice guy. It's more the music that I find really bland thus to me it wouldn't be a satisfying job. Age old case of differing taste.

Special mention to me would go to Carole Kaye as aside working with some of the great acts of all time she did a fair few nifty TV themes too :)

Ever the diplomat, I'd say anyone who is happy with their lot in life is doing well. I love playing bass in my band. A few of the jazzy players here may get bored but I do get to stretch out a little, play my favourite genre and play with mates so it's the perfect gig for me.

Oh & the guy who plays with Status Quo always looks like he's having the best time ever. I wouldn't want the job personally but he seems happy enough

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1050417' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:35 PM']I'm sorry but I find all the Nathan East / Will Lee etc etc sterilized slap playing session players absolutely mind numbingly dull particularly as 99% of the time they're playing to 40 something yanks in comfy pullovers. I'm sure they're incredibly talented but it all just sounds like bad elevator music to me.[/quote]
[quote name='mrtcat' post='1050589' date='Dec 7 2010, 02:53 PM']Apologies, I really shouldn't have referred to the players as sterile more the gig's they seem to get. I am aware that Nathan East (like all the names mentioned here) is an incredibly talented player who could shine in any band and by all accounts he's a really nice guy. It's more the music that I find really bland thus to me it wouldn't be a satisfying job. Age old case of differing taste.[/quote]

I think it's majorly unfair to refer to those two players 'sterilized slap playing session players'. I think you've kind of misunderstood what guys this
actually do. '99% of the time they're playing to 40 something yanks'...I mean,really? Have you seen the credits of Will Lee and Nathan East? I can
understand you saying about different tastes,but it's pretty much a guarantee that you've enjoyed listening to something that those guys have done,
although you've probably not realised it.

Whilst it would be great to travel the world and play with mega-stars, writing/recording/playing on hit records would be the best job for me.

Imagine being in Tesco and hearing your hit over the tannoy. You'd be itching to shout - "everyone listen to me!"

There is a lovely story where an old big band jazz saxophonist (who I can't name) heard himself on a record in a bar and then heard the record again straight away and then a third time. He approached the guys who were playing it and asked why they kept playing it.

'Because we love the saxopnone solo'

He smiled and walked away without telling them....how cool was that? :)

My mind stopped at imagining being in Tesco.

[quote name='guyl' post='1052638' date='Dec 9 2010, 12:31 PM']Whilst it would be great to travel the world and play with mega-stars, writing/recording/playing on hit records would be the best job for me.

Imagine being in Tesco and hearing your hit over the tannoy. You'd be itching to shout - "everyone listen to me!"[/quote]

Lets hope he was the one who took the solo on that cut!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1052663' date='Dec 9 2010, 12:57 PM']There is a lovely story where an old big band jazz saxophonist (who I can't name) heard himself on a record in a bar and then heard the record again straight away and then a third time. He approached the guys who were playing it and asked why they kept playing it.

He smiled and walked away without telling them....how cool was that? :)[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1052663' date='Dec 9 2010, 12:57 PM']There is a lovely story where an old big band jazz saxophonist (who I can't name) heard himself on a record in a bar and then heard the record again straight away and then a third time. He approached the guys who were playing it and asked why they kept playing it.

He smiled and walked away without telling them....how cool was that? :)[/quote]

Uber cool.. but I wondered if he considered saying..well, actually...??

What would most of us have done..???