Why become a member? ×

Favourite McCartney Basslines from the Beatles back catologue

Cat Burrito

With The Beatles having made it onto Itunes recently, the old records and CDs have had an airing. I know we have a bit of McCartney appreciation amongst the Basschat ranks so I wondered what tunes of the Beatles people really rated basswise. Here's a few random thoughts of mine...

Hey Bulldog

All My Loving

The Night Before

The Ballad of John & Yoko

Lovely Rita

over to you...

The fuzz bass part on "Think for yourself" from Rubber Soul is a favourite of mine - it's also the very first bassline I ever learned (I used an old JEM fuzz box that plugged straight into the bass to get a suitable sound).

There's some really great bass playing all over "Rubber Soul".

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1040540' date='Nov 28 2010, 10:17 PM']And Something:[/quote]

I know this one has been discussed before and I think for the song its a bit busy but I started to learn it the other day as its written, and its really well crafted

There's the obvious 'Something' for me, and I love Paul's walking basslines so 'Eight Days A Week' and 'All My Loving' even though they may be simple, are favourites. I've always liked the bass on 'Hello, Goodbye' too.

Its so hard to just name a few songs since every one is a classic, but a bit that stands out for me (and again is ridiculously simple.. just a minor arpeggio) is 'I'm Only Sleeping', the little just after 0:32 and throughout the song. Its just perfect.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETO3YfDKEI4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETO3YfDKEI4[/url]

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='KevB' post='1041015' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:12 PM'] [/quote]

This has always been my favourite Beatles bassline, but I have a feeling it was George or John that actually played on the recording?

Edit - not sure where I read that (think it was on Basschat) but I cant seem to find anything that substantiates it. In fact it looks like I'm dead wrong!

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='1041139' date='Nov 29 2010, 01:43 PM']This has always been my favourite Beatles bassline, but I have a feeling it was George or John that actually played on the recording?

Edit - not sure where I read that (think it was on Basschat) but I cant seem to find anything that substantiates it. In fact it looks like I'm dead wrong![/quote]
I think the standard story is that [i]Paperback Writer[/i] was the first recording with the Rickenbacker (rather than the Hofner) and that the bass sound was boosted by using a speaker as a microphone stood in front of McCartney's rig.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1041768' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:44 PM']Just worth mentioning today is 9yrs since George Harrison lost his battle with cancer.[/quote]
Nine years? Wow, doesn't seem like it. Very sad though, and far too young really. Who was it who said that The Beatles are dying in the wrong order? :)

Anyone here manage to go to the Concert For George the year after he died? I didn't but I have the DVD and it's a fantastic reminder of George's catalogue.

[quote name='burno70' post='1041781' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:52 PM']surprised this hasn't been suggested[/quote]
Please Sir, I did Sir . . . :)

[quote name='burno70' post='1041781' date='Nov 29 2010, 10:52 PM']surprised this hasn't been suggested but is defintately my fave.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEo9Bh679wM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEo9Bh679wM[/url][/quote]
Nearly made my original post. Hope you don't mind but I'll embed this into the thread