Why become a member? ×

Revolutionary designs?

Musicman20

cases like hiscox. super hard, super lightweight.

and who ever went and built the first proper bass amp, not a guitar amp with more bass let through, but something designed and tuned for a bass guitar.

i don't play them by 5 strings rather than 4 is pretty neat.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1033877' date='Nov 23 2010, 01:50 PM']The Variax concept is quite the revolution, I reckon. They've overhauled the guitar to largely positive press, should they do the same to the bass it could be quite interesting.[/quote]

Erm, they did.

[url="http://line6.com/variaxbass/"]http://line6.com/variaxbass/[/url]

[quote name='Maverick' post='1034572' date='Nov 23 2010, 11:16 PM']Erm, they did.

[url="http://line6.com/variaxbass/"]http://line6.com/variaxbass/[/url][/quote]

'overhaul' - Thats the same 700/705 they've done for a few years. Nice Instrument in many ways.

The guitars have just been redisigned with James Tyler, now being the James Tyler Variax.

Funily enough, JT has started producing basses again in his own line...So maybe it's on the cards?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1034617' date='Nov 24 2010, 12:08 AM']'overhaul' - Thats the same 700/705 they've done for a few years. Nice Instrument in many ways.

The guitars have just been redisigned with James Tyler, now being the James Tyler Variax.

Funily enough, JT has started producing basses again in his own line...So maybe it's on the cards?[/quote]

Ooooooh I see.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1033603' date='Nov 23 2010, 10:07 AM']Musicman truss rod wheel of fortune.[/quote]
You'll find this on any number of bum-end cheapo Jap & Korean guitars going back to the 60s

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1034154' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:49 PM']When thinking of this I usually think of Kubicki first, I'll elaborate on a few points:

The neck is 34 laminates of maple, chosen by Phil because he wanted a super stiff neck but without the high cost of graphite. It's ultra stiff and stable and doesn't suffer from dead spots![/quote]
You'll also find this on oriental cheapos from the 60s onward - known to JapCrapologists as strip ply or strip mahogany, realistically they probably used it for its cheapness rather than stiffness - but they don't tend to twist & warp.

Anyway - I'll suggest CNC machines for guitar manufacture - that'll be Matsumoku, 1974, iirc.

Jon.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1034258' date='Nov 23 2010, 07:21 PM']I've always thought the cascading dot pattern on my NS-Design CR5M is innovative[/quote]
I find it confusing. Nice to look at, not so much fun to play with.

Pretty much everything I could think of has already been mentioned - I will, however, throw stacked pots into the ring. When you've got something with a tiny body like a Thumb, the controls are kept compact but not too close together, so you can have either more things you can control or less knobs.

I must agree with you there Tauzero. Not only do stacked controls look clean and keep a bass uncluttered, they're also extremely useful for remembering which control does what.

See my ACG bass:

It looks like a relatively traditional control layout, although in reality you're looking at a volume/balance control, a neck pickup frequency filter stacked with a boost control, a bridge pickup frequency filter stacked with a boost control and a dual band treble control (closest to the bridge). Having them stacked allows you to get to grips with the system fairly quickly, as it makes you immediately aware in a visual sense where you're tweaking the tone, which is integral to learning how to make the bass do what you want!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1038012' date='Nov 26 2010, 05:22 PM']I actually find stacked nobs on stuff a bit of a fiddle to be honest although some basses would need 10 indivdual knobs nowadays I suppose.[/quote]

Like I say, my ACG would have 8 seperate tone knobs and two flip switches if it wasn't for stacked controls. That could surely be a classed as a bewildering array for some!

[quote name='icastle' post='1033648' date='Nov 23 2010, 10:42 AM']The MOSFET[/quote]
Yes. The Mosfet. Lovely little thing.

Also Compressors - properly useful and arguably they revolutionised popular music production forever.

Edited by paul_5