Why become a member? ×

Lemon Oil

Oggy

I use these....

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/36992-ernie-ball-wonder-wipes-fretboard-conditioner-small-.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/3699...m_campaign=base[/url]

No mess, no fuss.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1032648' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:11 PM']Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil.[/quote]

Thats the one I have.
Don't overuse it though - I usually do mine a 2/3 times a year and seems fine. If used too often it can
actually cause problems (wood softening,loosen frets etc). Its not really a cleaner, more of a way
of preventing rosewood boards from drying out I believe.

[quote name='casapete' post='1032664' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:21 PM']Thats the one I have.
Don't overuse it though - I usually do mine a 2/3 times a year and seems fine. If used too often it can
actually cause problems (wood softening,loosen frets etc). Its not really a cleaner, more of a way
of preventing rosewood boards from drying out I believe.[/quote]
Well, sort of.

I am quite liberal with mine, and do it a few times a year. I leave it ten minutes and it should have substantially gone/been absorbed by then. Then I get a rag and wipe off all excess and get any dirt out. Haven'tnoticed any issues. As usual, just follow the manufacturers instructions.

[quote name='casapete' post='1032664' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:21 PM']Thats the one I have.
+1, That's exactly what John Birch told me when he worked on my SG; and to me he was the absolute font of all knowledge guitar wise.

Yes yes, be careful with it.
Once on tour, a "roadie" thought he would be clever and use it EVERY night on a guitarists strat and my bass.
The strat lost its graphite nut, softened up within 3 days and the strings sank into it!! Not a happy guitar player.
It got wiped into both bass and strat's bridges off the rag and covered my fingers and my strings deadened up
on first night's use. Twat roadie thought it was a "cleaner" to be used every night after the show!
Quite right that any OIL used is too prevent the f/board from drying out. I use "Bore Oil" from Yamaha. My double bass repairer uses it,
normally used on woodwind instruments to combat spittle etc.
You can clean the actual board by rubbing with finest 0000 wire wool then oil it.

I've used almond oil (from the supermarket cookery section) with success. It is to stop the unfinished wood from drying out too much, rather than cleaning. Its also a good idea to condition/clean the fingerboard a few days ahead of a string change. Put the old ones back on, let the neck dry for a day or two...then out your new strings on and hopefully the oil won't deaden them straight away. Although, some people don't like fresh strings...or so I've read on the interweb.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1032636' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:06 PM']Hi Chaps,

Can anyone point me at a good 'on-line' source for Lemon Oil for cleaning and dressing my fret board? Looking for something that’s good quality, you guys know these things.

Thanks

Oggy :)[/quote]
I use and always have used Sadolin.for the last 15 to 20 years...worktop oil.......apply sparingly and leave overnight and rub over with a soft cloth next morning its about 20 times cheaper than Dunlop and does just as good a job even possibly better.......if you want to colour the board just add a few drops of a preparatory wood dye to the sadolin and work in softly with fine gauge steel wool........removing any residue when dry by buffing with a clean lint free cloth and I use an old soft shoe brush...........never had one single problem

Lemon oils are just a rip off

Edited by tino

[quote name='tino' post='1033067' date='Nov 22 2010, 07:09 PM']I use and always have used Sadolin.for the last 15 to 20 years...worktop oil.......apply sparingly and leave overnight and rub over with a soft cloth next morning its about 20 times cheaper than Dunlop and does just as good a job even possibly better.......if you want to colour the board just add a few drops of a preparatory wood dye to the sadolin and work in softly with fine gauge steel wool........removing any residue when dry by buffing with a clean lint free cloth and I use an old soft shoe brush...........never had one single problem

[b]Lemon oils are just a rip off[/b][/quote]
I agree with this to a point, it is indeed bollocks that Dunlop makes anything better that a supermarket oil, However, vegetable oils will go rancid or develop crystaline elements from any impurites if left in the wrong conditions, so olive oil with lemon is just as good, but it won't keep in the way something like Dunlop will. Anyway, the Dunlop is a few quid and will last a LONG time so no big deal. The lemon is the cleaning agent, its very good at that, and the oil is to maintain some equilibrium in the wood. T recondition a fretboard I've used 0000 grade wire wool dipped in either beeswax or lemon oil, then polish it off. Lovely. Nothing feels worse to me than dry rosewood fingerboards, hate them. Eugh.

I dont know whats in Sadolin I only know it works very well

I see you still need a Barbel.........Keep it quiet but some decent 12 -14's are now showing on the Lea in Cheshunt...Fishers Green...............( trundled Prawn / worm cocktail my secret recipe).and.....my Carps bigger than you carp and its again from Cheshunt 35.11.... :)