Why become a member? ×

Bass Lines That Everyone Recognises

Pete Academy

[quote name='icastle' post='1031074' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:40 AM']Kinda loathe to suggest it but...

"You're the one that I want" from Grease..? :)[/quote]

no your right about that, I no it's cool not to like it, but it's a great line

All blues, so what for jazz

ain't to stoppin us now, let's groove loads of disco tunes, some already mentioned

gangsters , specials

guess it depends alot on age group also

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1030924' date='Nov 20 2010, 10:26 PM']Back in Black- Acdc ?

Enter Sandman - Mettalica[/quote]

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1031011' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:34 PM']There's loads being mentioned that I haven't got the slightest idea about the bass line, I don't even know the song, and sometimes don't even know the band.[/quote]

Not having a pop at the poster but I think the two above are classic examples of 'songs' that people might identify (though maybe not your average non-muso type) but the bassline isn't one that you could identify without either the guitar and/or vocal.

Think I'll go back and have a listen to one or two of these though. :)

Living on a Prayer-Bon Jovi. Did this for the first time last night and instant dancing was produced!

The Chain is in our setlist and one of my favourites, not just because of the F1 bass solo at the end but I love the vocals. Did a gig a while back and a guy came up to me afterwards and said " I loved the way you put the F1 theme at the end of that song, did you just decide to do that tonight as a jam or have you done it before!"
I nearly choked on my beer! But he was -30 years old so probably had genuinly never heard the song before. Made I larrf though it did!

[quote name='lojo' post='1031134' date='Nov 21 2010, 07:55 AM']no your right about that, I no it's cool not to like it, but it's a great line[/quote]

I was in the pit on a live production of that quite a few years ago - easy bass lines, but extremely hard work to keep up with the tempo!
It was "ok" but then I've never been cool :)

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1031032' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:01 AM']Well being that Bernard Edwards bassline for Chic's "Good Times" also appears in Michelle Gayles "Happy Just to be with You", The Sugar Hill Gangs "Rapper's Delight", Will Smith's "It's all good", Beverley Knight's "Made it Back" and I think all were pretty big sellers - then this is THE bass line everyone probably recognises most (musicians and the general listener).

EDIT: Even has it's own wiki page [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Times_(Chic_song)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Times_(Chic_song)[/url] :)[/quote]
... and the inspiration for Another One Bites the Dust.

[quote name='Shambo' post='1031171' date='Nov 21 2010, 09:49 AM']I think some people might be just listing their favourite big tunes they know how to play.
Your average Joe on the street isn't going to be able to name half of these.

Wha about Around The World by Daft Punk?[/quote]
Don't know that one either, but +1 on the the first part of what you said.

I think this was settled by the first post.

The Chain will be identified as the F1 theme 99% of the time.

Good Times is an amazing bassline and a well sampled/quoted line but play the first bar of it to the 'man in the street' and he'll say "Another One Bites.." almost everytime.

Age is undoubtedly a factor tho.

Can't believe no one's said Muse yet (I think) - Hysteria & Time Is Running Out

Massive Attack - Angel is very well known. At the very least, people will recognise it from some advert or another.

A couple, perhaps not for the average man on the street, but your average metal punter at least:

Megadeth - Peace Sells
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls (although I always wonder how many think that's a guitar part)
Iron Maiden - Wrathchild

[quote name='Johnston' post='1031239' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:13 AM']I'm going to say Phantom of the opera by the mighty Steve Harris.[/quote]

Hmm, I think the best know parts of that one are where the bass and guitar play the same things, so if people recognise the bass part it's probably because they know the guitar part. I said Wrathchild as the intro is pure Harris.

Edited by Maverick

[quote name='Doddy' post='1031243' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:19 AM']'Phantom.......' by Iron Maiden? Really? I've never heard it. I think the majority of people wouldn't have a clue.[/quote]

If you're of a certain age it was the music from the Lucozade ad with Daley Thompson

[quote name='Maverick' post='1031240' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:15 AM']Can't believe no one's said Muse yet (I think) - Hysteria & Time Is Running Out

Massive Attack - Angel is very well known. At the very least, people will recognise it from some advert or another.

A couple, perhaps not for the average man on the street, but your average metal punter at least:

Megadeth - Peace Sells
Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls (although I always wonder how many think that's a guitar part)
Iron Maiden - Wrathchild[/quote]

I wouldn't know any of these if you played them in full,let alone just the baselines.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1031255' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:27 AM'] [/quote]
Well, if people in the street were to recognise that it would be the guitar rather than the bass, it would be Lucozade not Iron Maiden.

I'm still not convinced they would recognise it at all, let alone associate it with bass.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1031260' date='Nov 21 2010, 11:31 AM']Well, if people in the street were to recognise that it would be the guitar rather than the bass, it would be Lucozade not Iron Maiden.[/quote]

I know they'd probably associate it with the ad more than Maiden, but as the guitar and the bass are basically playing the same thing I don't think it'd make any difference.

But I agree, most people wouldn't recognise it.

Edited by bartelby