Bilbo

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

On 14/04/2018 at 09:34, mikel said:

His view is that Jazz is anything you want it to be, and that's why it has evolved and morphed and never stood still.

I respect the spirit of this position but I have a caveat to it. 

Jazz is whatever you want it to be unless it is something else. The problem I have with the idea that 'anything goes' is that this is OK to a point but, put simply, some things are not Jazz not because they 'don' t swing' or some other genre specific details or whatever. They are not Jazz because they are Funk or Torch Songs or Blues or Pop. Rod Stewart doesn't become a Jazz singer just because he puts on a beret. 

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, bassace said:

A jazz musician never plays the same thing once.

Good one! I will remember to use that one as I continue to improve on the upright acoustic that I bought after attending the double bass bash in April and meeting you and the other BC members.Thank you bassace  and BC.

On 03/11/2018 at 16:41, Bilbo said:

News coming out that trumpeter Roy Hargrove has died of a heart attack aged 49. He is a kid, Ffs. 

Indeed. RIP!

Edited by Leonard Smalls

The late Tony Wilson, ... said he would never go and see jazz because he couldn’t tolerate the idea of the musicians having a better time than the audience.

So much vitality, creativity, positive energy, and genuine human feeling is in it. In a world of types, stereotypes and marketing, jazz offers us the possibility of transcendence. Jazz is not a limited or limiting music, it is not the "property" of any era or group or place, but it is something that reaches each of us in our own way.

• Like 3

Having been raised in a house that frequently featured big band music, it will always have a special place in my heart. Yesterday, I was introduced to a piano player and band leader I’d not heard of before by a Scott's Bass Lessons YT post on his influences,  Michel Camilo. It doesn’t hurt that the band includes the legend that is Anthony Jackson, who's is killing it. Warning: jazz, loud shirt and massive talent content.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Having been raised in a house that frequently featured big band music, it will always have a special place in my heart. Yesterday, I was introduced to a piano player and band leader I’d not heard of before by a Scott's Bass Lessons YT post on his influences,  Michel Camilo. It doesn’t hurt that the band includes the legend that is Anthony Jackson, who's is killing it. Warning: jazz, loud shirt and massive talent content.

Haha... A gig myself, Bilbo and a couple of others have banged on about over the years. :D

Certainly one of my favourite live concerts. 👍

Michel Camilo's Trio gigs are great as well.

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1

Thread resurrection time. A keyboard playing and jazz loving friend of mine just shared this on Facebook. Very Mahavishnu, but not as extreme. Dave Weckl being brilliant as ever and Mohini Dey really nailing the low end on that Cort. However, for me, it's the doubled violin/guitar 'head' that makes me hit replay (reminds me of the Dixie Dregs).

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Not a great example - the only clip available, but the album is available on Spotify - I found it very reminiscent of this:

• Like 2

Saw their show at (I think) the Lyric, Hammersmith when I was in the sixth form, so yes, blast from the distant past!

Just seen it was Riverside Studios Hammersmith, May 1980 - the week of my 16th birthday!!

Edited by Mykesbass
Updated research

Loving the bass playing in that first track @lowdown - the groove feels/sounds so much like an electric bass. What a player!

• Like 1