Why become a member? ×

GOD.... I LOVE JAZZ

Bilbo

[quote name='wotnwhy' timestamp='1199981529' post='117936']
ha ha! no, Howards reply to that. something like

"the serebral musicality of jazz, mixed with the visceral groove of funk"

(forgive the guessed words, and the obviously guessed spellings of said words)
[/quote] As for me, you nailed it wotnwhy. What a solid definition of Jazz/funk fusion. I'll need to write it down. My memory often fails me.

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439916291' post='2846754']
Ooh thanks..I'll take a look! The Impossible Gentlemen sound quite good. Is Steve Swallow not with them anymore?

No idea. I think touring is difficult now as he is over 70 and insurance must be extortionate.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1439897964' post='2846537']
I have just started getting into jazz and trying to find a way to mix it with punk rock! Its hard to get right but I love experimenting with it. I will post some stuff up here once Ive recorded it. But in the meantime can anyone recommend any punk jazz (if it exists??!)

I've started buying jazz albums and like The Bad Plus, Steve Swallow, Miles' Kind Of Blue and Ahmad Jamal's live album But Not For Me. Where should I go next, please? : )
[/quote]

If you want a bit out of order and generally more crazed than jazz usually is then Bilbo's recommendations are a good start...
However, all the artists he lists do a wide variety of stuff.
Here's an example of John Zorn's non-Japanese-jazzcore side, and very groovy it is too:

[MEDIA]http://youtu.be/2ll9U6DNQFw?list=PLAFEA3BEF26654302[/MEDIA]

However, he also produces a lot of stuff like this - and this is at the less experimental end of his spectrum:

[MEDIA]http://youtu.be/v7fHXGibRk0[/MEDIA]

Bill Laswell is similarly varied; he's done everything from producing PiL to crazed noisecore via dub, drum'n'bass and ambient (check Material's "Hallucination Engine" for a prime example of very swinging ambient!)
Jammaaladeen Tacuma is probably my joint favourite bass player (with Bootsy!). Nobody sounds like him - he was in Ornette Coleman's Prime Time ("check "Of Human Feeling"), did an excellent album with improvisation guru Derek Bailey ("Mirakle" - it's an easy-ish way into crazed free improv) but his best albums are either "Dreamscape" (if you can find it!) or James Carter's "Layin' in the Cut".
As for Sonny Sharrock (RIP!), check out "Dick Dogs", or for the full experience, Last Exit with Brotzmann and Shannon-Jackson.
Finally, James Blood Ulmer is worth a look - particularly albums like "Phalanx" with George Adams, "Jazz is the Preacher", "Odyssey" and "Black Rock", though in the last decade or so he's been heavily into blues...

To further Bilbo and Leonard's suggestions you could also give Painkiller a try which is Laswell and Zorn along with Mick Harris (of Napalm Death and Scorn fame). Free jazz/grindcore/dub trio that were entirely improvisational. Check out the Execution Ground box set as it is truly an astonishing accomplishment and I'm only partly saying it because they are one of my top ten bands ever.

I will also heartily second Last Exit and Naked City. Spinning off from those you have Mr. Bungle (Naked City tribute act initially) and Jerseyband (Jazz/Hardcore hybrid) and Candiria (Jazz/Hardcore also).

I got into punk klezmer through Electric Massada...
That's a whole new ballgame!
Check Hasidic New Wae, Aaron Alexader and anything with Fima Ephron on bass. Especially early Screaming Headless Torsos (Amandla, Choice Cuts), then you've also got the joy of David Fiucynski's guitar and the awesome percussion of Daniel Sadownick. They're not exactly klezmer - they do everything from screaming metal to tuneful jazz via dub and funk with stops at just about everything inbetween.

I already know about Zorn and Bungle through being a Faith No More fan. California by Bungle is a fantastic record. The bass player Trevor Roy Dunn is amazing.
[quote name='Dapper Bandit' timestamp='1439991136' post='2847312']
To further Bilbo and Leonard's suggestions you could also give Painkiller a try which is Laswell and Zorn along with Mick Harris (of Napalm Death and Scorn fame). Free jazz/grindcore/dub trio that were entirely improvisational. Check out the Execution Ground box set as it is truly an astonishing accomplishment and I'm only partly saying it because they are one of my top ten bands ever.

[/quote]

I will check out Painkiller - I never really rated anyone from Napalm Death as being a good muso so thats interesting

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1440062347' post='2847897']
I already know about Zorn and Bungle through being a Faith No More fan. California by Bungle is a fantastic record. The bass player Trevor Roy Dunn is amazing.

I will check out Painkiller - I never really rated anyone from Napalm Death as being a good muso so thats interesting
[/quote]

Honestly, Mick is probably the weakest player in the trio (not coming from anything close to a jazz background) but shows a consistently tasteful ear in this massively varied improvisational setting and he and Bill set up some lethal riddims when they go dub!

Leonard, will definitely check out some of those Klezmer recommendations, very much up my avenue!

Two more groups come to mind: Calle De Bauche and Estradasphere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I have just started getting into jazz and trying to find a way to mix it with punk rock! Its hard to get right but I love experimenting with it. I will post some stuff up here once Ive recorded it. But in the meantime can anyone recommend any punk jazz (if it exists??!)[/font][/color][/quote]
Blurt!
http://youtu.be/RBFyHfqfW-E
Although no bass...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...