Why become a member? ×

May have to trim the herd big time

Not sure if I really need all these basses really. The bass I use the most seems to be the Washburn Status. (followed closely by the hamburger bass).
I wanna keep the JD bass,and the fretless.I know that times are hard,and I don't wanna sell my Tele bass for less than I paid for it. (alot)
And to be brutally honest ,altho' it's the nearest 'proper' bass sound i m h o , I'm frightened to gig with it. I love the look of the Taxi bass, but haven't used it
in rehearsals yet. As for the 5 string? using it at home is fine ,but I think I'd be too nervous in a band situation.As for the 6 and 8 strings? They've been ignored.

Not sure whether to sell most of 'em ,as I 'm almost certain my job is going around xmas. (Hate the place anyway) :)
On the other side of the coin, I do like the look of basses on the wall etc. I was thinking of getting miniatures instead.

Sorry if it sounds a bit miserable , but I'm not the miserable type :) Maybe I should start over again.

Any ideas?

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1026343' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:40 PM']I thought you had to clear up space as well or is everything pretty much ok on the home front? If the "JD" bass is the one on your avatar, please don't sell it lol. looks awesome.[/quote]

Oh, you remembered :) Thanks for asking . Well ,believe it or not I have more room than initially thought.
Most of the basses are in a warwick rack (hold 5) . When (or if aaaargh!) my brother's flat sells then I'll feel more relaxed,
and will think about buying furniture to tidy up my clutter etc. JD not going anywhere

Cheers

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Thanks for your kind words . Regarding the job, one of my colleagues(who is mentally unstable) is retiring.
The other guy(who is 60 in Jan ) hates me , and is a total brown nose. I took it as a temp job.
3 temp assignments later, I got offered it permanently. Then Northern Rock collapsed , recession/depression followed
and now I'm desperately trying to get out . Hopefully through temping. I never wanted job permanently .
This year has been my worst ,so a new start is needed asap. I know there are others with worse problems than mine ,
so I'll leave it there :)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1026348' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:45 PM']Oh, you remembered :) Thanks for asking . Well ,believe it or not I have more room than initially thought.
Most of the basses are in a warwick rack (hold 5) . When (or if aaaargh!) my brother's flat sells then I'll feel more relaxed,
and will think about buying furniture to tidy up my clutter etc. JD not going anywhere

Cheers[/quote]

No problem :) Memory of an elephant me hehe. Well in that case I would suggest if you keep the JD, tele, Washburn, the 5 string and another one, depending on which one you are most likely to use after those 4. If you're not using the 6 or the 8 probably best to re-home them.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1026334' date='Nov 16 2010, 08:34 PM']Not sure if I really need all these basses really. The bass I use the most seems to be the Washburn Status. (followed closely by the hamburger bass).
I wanna keep the JD bass,and the fretless.I know that times are hard,and I don't wanna sell my Tele bass for less than I paid for it. (alot)
And to be brutally honest ,altho' it's the nearest 'proper' bass sound i m h o , I'm frightened to gig with it. I love the look of the Taxi bass, but haven't used it
in rehearsals yet. As for the 5 string? using it at home is fine ,but I think I'd be too nervous in a band situation.As for the 6 and 8 strings? They've been ignored.

Not sure whether to sell most of 'em ,as I 'm almost certain my job is going around xmas. (Hate the place anyway) :)
On the other side of the coin, I do like the look of basses on the wall etc. I was thinking of getting miniatures instead.

Sorry if it sounds a bit miserable , but I'm not the miserable type :) Maybe I should start over again.

Any ideas?[/quote]

Sell everything bar 2 basses, one rig and whatever effects/leads/outboard gear you need as a bare minimum. It's incredibly liberating.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='1026334' date='Nov 16 2010, 04:34 PM']Not sure if I really need all these basses really. The bass I use the most seems to be the Washburn Status. (followed closely by the hamburger bass).

Any ideas?[/quote]

You may find this to be helpful:

[b]Step Back + Take Stock[/b]
[size=1]by Rawn Randall[/size]
[url="http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html"]http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html[/url]

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='1026462' date='Nov 16 2010, 10:26 PM']You may find this to be helpful:

[url="http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html"]http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html[/url][/quote]

I'd be happy to see that article pinned to the top of the [i][b]For Sale [/b][/i]section.

One of the most sensible and concise things I've read in ages.

Great article. Very true statements throughout. Particularly about spending enough time with an instrument to form a relationship with it.

Although, TBH, I only play my main bass (fretless), and occasionally the fretted as a backup. Beyond that I'd struggle to fit in any time on any other bass - 5 basses would be way too many for me.

2 seems 1 toomany for me.
After the jag goes and I finally feta stingray 5 that will be me sorted for a while hopefully.

The 5er mainly for me having fun, or if i ever join a band that wants low Bs.

It's pointless having so many basses, IMHO.

Sell the ones you don't use at all, then one of the ones that seems rather pointless. You'll probably be left with your Washburn, 1 other bass and the the tele.

I don't know how much you paid for the tele bass but you I doubt you'll break even on it.

Are those Dean cabbie basses 34" scale?

I see the point of bonding with the instruments. I am currently having that experience with my MIA P and I try and practice on my Ray 5HS all the time.

Why do I want so many?

I figure im allowed a luxury. Part of my luxury is clothing and shoes, the other is a few games here for my gaming systems, but the main treat in my life is bass gear.

Why? No idea. I dont want to spend a fortune on a car because all they do is get you from A to B, no excitment for me and no creativity. Although Id love a high end Audi at some point.

My friends waste a lot of money on smoking/cars/fast food, and I dont. It all goes on my luxuries.

I like collecting them...thats all. I do understand I need more time with all of them though.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='1026462' date='Nov 16 2010, 10:26 PM']You may find this to be helpful:

[url="http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html"]http://archive.basssessions.com/oct07/Randall.html[/url][/quote]

I saw a guy on a forum with the typical ego-stroking gear list signature that a lot of people have, but knowing how old he was I figured out he must've bought close to 10 instruments per year for the entire time that he'd been playing bass.

I've been playing for 20 years and I've only bought 10 bass guitars in total.

Edited by thisnameistaken

For most of this year I've been fairly settled on 2 gigging basses, standard P and 51 P. Then I decided the 51 P wasn't working in the band, so was looking at Basszilla's Ripper as a replacement. Then that fell through, so I bought a cheap SX P as a backup while I sold the 51 and found something else. Didn't like the SX at all, started modding it which went wrong and meanwhile found an MIM Jazz I quite like. Then the Ripper comes available again. And in the background through all this is a Dearmond Starfire which doesn't get much gig time, but it's nice to have a short scale semi.

So in devising a strategy to replace one bass, I now have 5 basses, one body, and two necks in various states of disrepair.

The 51 P is in the for sale section, not sure what else may join it.

I'm lucky, I like my job and I think they'll let me keep it.

LOL, but he advocates owning 5 basses! Hardly frugal :)

Thanks , will read later :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1026772' date='Nov 17 2010, 12:09 PM']I see the point of bonding with the instruments. I am currently having that experience with my MIA P and I try and practice on my Ray 5HS all the time.

Why do I want so many?

I figure im allowed a luxury. Part of my luxury is clothing and shoes, the other is a few games here for my gaming systems, but the main treat in my life is bass gear.

Why? No idea. I dont want to spend a fortune on a car because all they do is get you from A to B, no excitment for me and no creativity. Although Id love a high end Audi at some point.

My friends waste a lot of money on smoking/cars/fast food, and I dont. It all goes on my luxuries.

I like collecting them...thats all. I do understand I need more time with all of them though.[/quote]

Yep! You have the same beliefs as me. It's my only hobby , midlife crisis etc. So I started collecting them.... :)