Why become a member? ×

Purchasing a Guitar in the USA

bassface2k10

Hi BC-ers

I have a daughter living and working out in the USA and am wondering If she was to purchase me a Bass for a Christmas present would she have to declare it for import duty when bringing it home back to blighty?
Basically what I’m asking is has anyone purchased a bass whilst out in the USA and brought it home and if so what’s the deal, has to be legal etc, any advice would be welcome.

All the best

Chris

[quote name='bassface2k10' post='1020441' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:38 PM']Hi BC-ers

I have a daughter living and working out in the USA and am wondering If she was to purchase me a Bass for a Christmas present would she have to declare it for import duty when bringing it home back to blighty?
Basically what I’m asking is has anyone purchased a bass whilst out in the USA and brought it home and if so what’s the deal, has to be legal etc, any advice would be welcome.

All the best

Chris[/quote]

I guess the obvious answer is the one you know already I think. Technically and according to the law you should declare it and you will be charged excise duty, VAT and probably some mysterious admin on top for good measure!

I've certainly heard of people buying overseas then bring basses home in old cases - It's not as if customs have time to search through every guitar case on the off chance there is a new instrument being smuggled in to the country. On the flipside, there have been stories on here in the past about people who have tried to circumnavigate customs charges when shipping items, for example at the wrong value etc, getting caught out then having to try to get their goods back.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1020454' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:46 PM']Declare it or she's asking for trouble!
Isn't there a trick about 'used items' = no duty? I'm not sure but IIRC if you have a receipt showing it's a 'used instrument' they can't sting you?[/quote]
Nope - if its used & from the US it is still new to the UK and no VAT or duty would have been paid on it previously.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1020454' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:46 PM']Declare it or she's asking for trouble!
Isn't there a trick about 'used items' = no duty? I'm not sure but IIRC if you have a receipt showing it's a 'used instrument' they can't sting you?[/quote]

AFAIK that's not the case. HMRC charge on 2nd hand items via couriers/post office so don't see that airport channels would be different.

edit: beaten to it by J-LP!

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='gary mac' post='1020463' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:50 PM']Found this site quite useful.

Refering to it has stopped me making some rash purchasing decisions. [url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-tax-calculation/"]http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-tax-calculation/[/url][/quote]

Thanks for that Gary, really Handy that link.
with import duty and vat a fender precision at $550 would come in landed at £422.68.. not bad at all really

Chris

[quote name='bassface2k10' post='1020441' date='Nov 11 2010, 05:38 PM']Hi BC-ers

All the best

Chris[/quote]
I only ever bring in used items so its always Duty & VAT.....However if it is genuinely a gift there will still be charges but it will be lower than buying as a stock item...have a look on the HMRC web site...its the only way to get the answer....
She could always buy it and sell it to you for $100 the duty then is insignificant

I've walked through customs, tens of times carrying basses between the US, Japan and the UK, and [i]never once[/i] have I been stopped (when I came back from Japan, I had 2 basses in flight cases and an EUB over my back - No-one blinked an eyelid).

Mind you, I had owned them for > 6 months which means it was all above board:
[url="http://www.ukimports.org/uk_customs_procedures_personal_effects_belongings_form_c3.html"]http://www.ukimports.org/uk_customs_proced...gs_form_c3.html[/url]

Actually, I was stopped once, but that was whilst I was leaving the USA, and the customs dude just wanted to know what was in the case because he played bass too.

Edited by dougal