Why become a member? ×

4x12 bass cabs

tomtraubert

I use one. 4x12s are associated with guitars. Plus they are kind of stuck between the array of 10s using cheap nasty speakers and the 15s using nicer speakers. A 12 costs about the same as a 15 and moves less air, cheap 12s breaking up gives you guitar sound and volume, rather than the brute force of 8x10s.

Most of that stuff isn't really true, but hey, marketing. In practice, not many 12s you can get that don't come in 15, and might as well use 15s once you get big enough for 4 12s.

I use a Marshall VBC 4x12, and it is easily the best cab I`ve ever played through. No tweeters, so the highs are present, but not clicky, and amazing defined low-mids and bass, without being overly boomy. In my view, its the best of both worlds - not too boomy, not too shrill - kindof like having both 15s and 10s in your rig, but I have one heavy cab to cart/wheel about instead of two.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1020118' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:27 PM']I use a Marshall VBC 4x12, and it is easily the best cab I`ve ever played through. No tweeters, so the highs are present, but not clicky, and amazing defined low-mids and bass, without being overly boomy. In my view, its the best of both worlds - not too boomy, not too shrill - kindof like having both 15s and 10s in your rig, but I have one heavy cab to cart/wheel about instead of two.[/quote]

how do you find your onstage sound,with the cab being low down?

I have a Mesa PowerHouse 4x12 and love it the 12's are offset so it's quite a tall cab but very easy to move around, I went from a big cab to a small cab and back to this and glad I did (Until my body gives out!) I don't run it very loud but can hear everything, I'd imagine a shorter 4x12 would be harder to hear.

had a Trace 4x12" from the Valve series and it was a beast of a cab both in terms of weight and sound - 45kg which some on here think is far too heavy :)

:)

Another reason is stackability and cheapness - most mainstream companies use the same box regardless of whether its going to house a 15" or 4x10"s. You may get 3x12"s in the same size cab in an Epifani type layout but its going to be a weird impedence that won't match any other cab. In fact I'm talking sh*te, you'd get 2x12"s in a diagonal layout.

Another big reason is that when you go for cabs you talk about multiples of 10"s or 15"s, most people probably don;t realise that there are such things as 12"s other than guitar drivers.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='sk8' post='1020364' date='Nov 11 2010, 04:38 PM']Berg NV412 here. f***ing Awesome!!!!

Easy ish to move and gives me a great old school vibe with my Hiwatt 200 Custom. Works well with my LM3 too.

Think it 108lbs so not that bad to move as its got tilt back castors.[/quote]

Thats the one 'big cab' I want. Part of me says 'go ahead whilst you are fairly young!'.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1020389' date='Nov 11 2010, 04:54 PM']Thats the one 'big cab' I want. Part of me says 'go ahead whilst you are fairly young!'.[/quote]i was on a lightweight quest but that ended once i put a Hiwatt on top of this :)

I was dubious of the weight but actually its quite easy to move. Worse part is getting it in and out of the car but after that its a breeze.

I'm 34 so for you it should be a piece of piss :)

[quote name='tomtraubert' post='1020143' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:36 PM']how do you find your onstage sound,with the cab being low down?[/quote]
Well its on castors, so its not too far down, but I never have a problem hearing myself. The only thing I have found is that my onstage sound is much more trebly than the out front sound. Found this out by mistake - soundchecked with what was my old sound, which was nice and balanced onstage, went out front and it was soooooo bassy, so adjusted to suit. Took a bit of getting used to, but other than that, no problems with getting the volume, however if the guitarists had full-stacks I think I would need to match them - luckily they don`t have them!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1020118' date='Nov 11 2010, 02:27 PM']I use a Marshall VBC 4x12, and it is easily the best cab I`ve ever played through. No tweeters, so the highs are present, but not clicky, and amazing defined low-mids and bass, without being overly boomy. In my view, its the best of both worlds - not too boomy, not too shrill - kindof like having both 15s and 10s in your rig, but I have one heavy cab to cart/wheel about instead of two.[/quote]

Am I right in thinking that the VBC 4x12 is a sealed cab rather than ported?

• 3 weeks later...

I use a 4 x 12 Techamp Cab 1200 watts into 4 ohm. I use it with a Markbass LMK. It is light too just 54 Lbs you can pick it up easy one man, but i do use a trolley board which i leave it on to play so not to loose the bass on hotel carpets etc. I think most people do not consider it now. The old marshals are 100 lbs, then 4 x10's took over in the 80's and only a few manufacturers have gone back. But with Neo speakers they are starting to re appear. Most people are using smaller combinations now. I went for the 12's as it was the best spec of any cab with the least weight. It sounds fantastic I use it on all but the smallest restuarant gigs so I know I can cope with any venue.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1020328' date='Nov 11 2010, 04:11 PM']had a Trace 4x12" from the Valve series and it was a beast of a cab both in terms of weight and sound - 45kg which some on here think is far too heavy :)[/quote]

I use one, love it. Though I do sometimes wonder why! :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1048535' date='Dec 5 2010, 06:36 PM']I use a 4 x 12 Techamp Cab 1200 watts into 4 ohm. I use it with a Markbass LMK. It is light too just 54 Lbs you can pick it up easy one man, but i do use a trolley board which i leave it on to play so not to loose the bass on hotel carpets etc. I think most people do not consider it now. The old marshals are 100 lbs, then 4 x10's took over in the 80's and only a few manufacturers have gone back. But with Neo speakers they are starting to re appear. Most people are using smaller combinations now. I went for the 12's as it was the best spec of any cab with the least weight. It sounds fantastic I use it on all but the smallest restuarant gigs so I know I can cope with any venue.[/quote]

I have the older (Tech Soundsystems) version of this cab. They sound awesome, if a little overkill!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1048613' date='Dec 5 2010, 07:29 PM']I have the older (Tech Soundsystems) version of this cab. They sound awesome, if a little overkill![/quote]

Hi There in Ireland. Great cab aren't they. I love the tone and spread when just ticking over, I rarely get above 3 on my LMK amp. But when you need it it's there. I must to get over and see your lovely country