Why become a member? ×

Not feeling it :( Upcoming gig and no excitement

Musicman20

My new band in Newcastle has its first gig tomorrow night. I have had a frustrating and rather rubbish start in a thriving music scene such as this.

I dont understand something. Im not excited. In fact, I dont think the band is ready, even though I almost am on top of it all.

Its a bit disappointing. Ive been here for 9 months now, and as yet I still havent been wowwed by any local band offers. All of them have involved either something which is a step down for me, or a hectic covers schedule, which Im not as yet wanting to try, (eg 2 gigs a week and rehearsals on top of full time work and trying to have a normal life!). Other than that, the rest of the people have been unfriendly or untrustworthy, which is a heck of a shock after how decent most folk are up north. I think its bad luck myself.

Anyway, this band has taken a long time to get right. Im a perfectionist, so guess what...Im not happy with how tight we are. The vocalist isnt ready through no fault of his own (fairly new to us) and overall we just dont seem to be at that decent stage.

Me? Im in no rush. Id have rather pulled out a month ago and just waiting til we were ready. But, the other 3 thought I was being too cautious. I think I was right!

This gig is going to be quite big. 02 Academy supporting a good local band who have sucess ahead of them. All younger than me as well!

Me? Im just wound up that Ive started at the bottom of the pile after playing for years and years and knowing exactly how to 'do it right' with this type of music.

Ill stop moaning. It might actually be really good!

What do I crave? Joining a band thats already had some recognition, that needs me to chip in with decent harmonies as well as playing.

Ill keep looking.

Its really not that important. Do it and see what happens. If it sucks, you have increased kudos with your bandmates who may now listen if you say we are not ready. What I do know is you will learn more by doing it than not.

Also, the nine month wait? It normally takes a couple of years before you start getting calls in a new area.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1016177' date='Nov 8 2010, 11:20 AM']Its really not that important. Do it and see what happens. If it sucks, you have increased kudos with your bendmates who may now listen if you say we are not ready. What I do know is you will learn more by doing it than not.

Also, the nine month wait? It normally takes a couple of years before you start getting calls in a new area.[/quote]

Totally agree. Do it and the review what lessons can be taken from it afterwards.

Get out there and give it a good effort on the night.. If you don't do that, you'll never know, for sure.

Oh Im definitely doing it, without a doubt. I need to show Im around playing and have the ability etc! I wouldnt leave these chaps, as they are decent lads, and we help each other out, I just sometimes think I expect too much. I see other bands progressing VERY fast, and its taken our band so long to even get a strong lineup.

The headlining band are really decent guys, and have basically said we can ether use their entire backline or bring our own, but because we only have a short 'hey we are new' set, there is no point in me taking all my gear.

Itll be a nice bass, plus cables and tuner, so an easy gig to setup for! Yes, it would be nice to have my sound, but unfortunately the changes between sets wont allow soundchecks (well, very short ones) so Im using their bass amp/cab.

I know Im not in this for money or any kind of career (my actual career is a massive part of my life anyway), I just want a really professional originals band that has a good following. No money, no label support (if thats exists anymore!) just good fun!

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1016167' date='Nov 8 2010, 11:15 AM']Just see how it goes first. These guys might put in on energetic and engaging show which will make all your worries vanish.[/quote]

Yes. Have the other band members played many gigs or are they quite inexperienced?

On a personal level, I do think that if there are no butterflies before a gig there is something not quite right...

I also think that you have just been unlucky in your experiences with the NE band scene so far. Having said that, my band is now struggling after losing our singer and being unable to find a decent replacement! :)

Edited by Conan

Good luck with the gig Gareth.

Personally (and i know where your coming from) i think you should just feel that your doing your best, and dont worry too much about the others.

Im always being hard on my lot, as i feel i have a more experience and a more professional attitude towards the whole thing but when we get on stage, i do my best and am happy that if we do get any poor comments (we never have AFAIK) it wont be directed at me and i can turn around to the others and say "i told you".

Just enjoy the gig and worry about it afterwards. Maybe record it if your worried so you can point out a few things your not happy with.

I know its a very old cliché but unless something major goes wrong most people wont notice and will have a good time.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1016148' date='Nov 8 2010, 11:01 AM']I dont think the band is ready[/quote]

Thats why you're not feeling it mate, you're worried instead of excited. Ok... you're worried about the band rather than just yourself but it really will take the wind out of your sails thinking like this.

Try and look on the positive and [i]that old feeling[/i] will probably come rushing back.

Good luck and enjoy it :)

Cheer up, Jeez you might actually enjoy it.

If you've got such a downer on the rest of the band, don't bother and leave them, better not to do a gig than do it half heartedly.

Maybe I've read your post wrong, but I found it really quite depressing, there are people on here who'd kill for an opportunity to gig, you have one and aren't happy.

[quote name='Mokl' post='1016189' date='Nov 8 2010, 11:33 AM']Nothing like a bit of gig pressure to tighten a band up, ime.[/quote]

Agreed and I hope it goes well for you.

If not, you haven't mentioned the other option which is to start your own band. I know it's not for everybody and there are times when trying to arrange a gig or a rehearsal is a pain but I've thoroughly enjoyed putting together a like minded group. I've been upfront about how often we play /rehearse and what the genre of the songs and so far so good (we've been running for about a year).

As I say, it's not for everyone and at times, the thought of just turning up and playing is nice but for me, the positives outweigh the negatives.
Just a thought.
Jim

Edited by Floyd Pepper

[quote name='farmer61' post='1016315' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:24 PM']Cheer up, Jeez you might actually enjoy it.

If you've got such a downer on the rest of the band, don't bother and leave them, better not to do a gig than do it half heartedly.

Maybe I've read your post wrong, but I found it really quite depressing, there are people on here who'd kill for an opportunity to gig, you have one and aren't happy.[/quote]

Well, its my band, as I started it if I think back. Myself and the drummer met up and it basically took 6 months to find people who fit in or could keep up. I think If I left they wouldnt be able to gig, so thats even worse! I didnt suggest not doing it, just not having the same positive thoughts about these things recently.

If you'd been through what Id been through with bands in the last 6-9 months, you'd be wound up and pretty negative. Ive never had this much bad luck finding something right or getting a band off the ground.

It is depressing, lol. I already realise that.

Edited by Musicman20

The gig is close now. I cant get out of work early to go and warm up which is a massive shame and would put my mind at rest.

Dave, thats exactly how I feel. Probably my age (im late 20s they are early to mid twenties) and my usual belief inbeing far too organised thats causing the worry!

We shall see how it goes. The vocalist was going to have a few hours with the guitarist last night to polish things off, and didnt. Oh well, not my role to worry about.

Before anyone thinks Im being far too picky, it was my girlfriend who raised the problem. Basically, she said 'whats the point of rushing it when the majority of the scene will be there to see the main band, and they will see you unprepared'. It wasnt aimed at me, it was aimed at the fact ive been there and done it before.

Ah well, lets see how it goes. Might be bloomin brilliant.

Gareth.

I understand all your issues but having been through them all i say you really dont have anything to worry about. Too many bands spend way to long rehearsing, getting every note spot on. I've found this can drain the life out of a band. Your lucky in that you haven't been going for long and you have a big gig. There is nothing like a gig to help tighten a band up IME.
I can see your girlfriends point, and assuming the band are rubbish ;-) then i would agree with her but it doesn't sound like you are. No band is going to be spot on, ever. I find in rehearsals there can be a lack of adrenalin running through the band if your going over the same songs week in week out.
Im sure even if there are mistakes they will be so minor that no one will notice other than the band, and you'll all be have such a good time that it wont matter.

I'm like you, always want the band to preform at their best and seem to worry the most, and get annoyed, when things dont go 100%. I find this has a detrimental effect on me though and if im in that sort of mood i dont enjoy the gig. When i look around at the others having a good time i want to kick myself (i tend to do a loud slap line when its not called for instead).
You have done all this before so expect more, but give the others a break as im sure the last thing they will need is to feel down about the band. Again, ive been a pain with my lot and i could see that it creates the wrong atmosphere and doesnt help.

Smile, enjoy the gig and report back tomorrow. Good luck.

Hey,

People have pretty much covered it I think. Personally I know how you feel I've been there before too but it's quite right that at some point you need to get out of the rehearsal rooms and see what happens. It's not easy as you clearly care about having a good product but as you already admit you are a perfectionist do you think you may not ever feel 110% ready? If it was me and I had some doubts I would be thinking about how much I could learn about my fellow band mates by getting on stage with them. They might really surprise you. I would however be concerned that my worries might be reflected in my performance.

You know you're going to do the gig (and fair play to you for standing by your band) so do yourself justice by forcing the worries to the back of your mind and concentrate on enjoying it and let your band members see you being positive. This will probably count for more than a few extra months in the rehearsal room as they'll feed off your positivity - especially if you're more experienced cos they will look to you for inspiration.

I wish you the very best with the gig and I'm sure it'll be great.

[quote name='mrtcat' post='1017242' date='Nov 9 2010, 09:55 AM']Hey,

People have pretty much covered it I think. Personally I know how you feel I've been there before too but it's quite right that at some point you need to get out of the rehearsal rooms and see what happens. It's not easy as you clearly care about having a good product but as you already admit you are a perfectionist do you think you may not ever feel 110% ready? If it was me and I had some doubts I would be thinking about how much I could learn about my fellow band mates by getting on stage with them. They might really surprise you. I would however be concerned that my worries might be reflected in my performance.

You know you're going to do the gig (and fair play to you for standing by your band) so do yourself justice by forcing the worries to the back of your mind and concentrate on enjoying it and let your band members see you being positive. This will probably count for more than a few extra months in the rehearsal room as they'll feed off your positivity - especially if you're more experienced cos they will look to you for inspiration.

I wish you the very best with the gig and I'm sure it'll be great.[/quote]

Thanks, much appreciated! I agree!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1016148' date='Nov 8 2010, 11:01 AM']I dont understand something. Im not excited. In fact, I dont think the band is ready, even though I almost am on top of it all.[/quote]

in my experience of music and sport, feelings like this sometimes lead to great events and achievements that you don't expect

Hi chaps

Thanks for all the encouragment, etc etc.

Well, it went better than I hoped, which was in a way a good way of the gig turning out.

Strange, I wasnt critical of the band as much as they were of themselves. The vocalist was quite hard on himself when he had actually done a pretty good job considering his time restrictions.

They found it odd I didnt stress or criticise myself at the end. I was in fact the opposite, they all did pretty good considering it was our first outing.

I knew the deal, a big gig, big professional PA, and a fairly large crowd full of the people we want to impress enough to come and see us play again.

I think the other lads may not have realised just how packed that place was going to be.

Our drummer did a sterling job, especially considering some of the parts he has to play.

I would definitely like to take my own amp next time, and a cab of two as well. I loaned a Gallien Krueger 700RB, and it was VERY punchy and loud. Quite bright, with that modern 'mids sucked' tone but with a boatload of low end. Not sure what cabs they were, but the PA chaps did a great job.

The band that played after us had some great bass gear. A HUGE Tecamp 6x10 or 6x12 (something like that) paired with an Aguilar DB750 or 751. The bass sounded great through that!

Anyway, a good night. Boy Jumps Ship played amazingly well, and have come on massively in their short time of being a band.

I quite enjoyed working with just one guitarist on stage. It made a massive difference to the 'space' not only in a physical sense, but in a musical sense.

One thing I noted. All the band used passive Fender/Gibson type basses (I think) until Boy Jumps Ship came on and their bassist used a normal 3EQ Stingray. Made me realise exactly why I like Stingrays so much. Not only did it slice through the mix, it also provided that backing thump for the drums to work along to. Huge sound, and that distinctive tone just sounds even better in a live band.

Edited by Musicman20