Why become a member? ×

Not feeling it :( Upcoming gig and no excitement

Musicman20

[quote name='charic' post='1018416' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:42 AM']Nice one :) feeling all fuzzy now? :)[/quote]

I was back in the 'zone' for 20 minutes last night. Adrenaline and stress relief are the best things about live work! Im pretty tired now but off to see Alexisonfire with the Mrs tonight (I actually think they are alright, but she totally loves them) so I need COFFEE!

Gigging does do something for me that I always forget about. In a way it was part of my life for 2-3 years with my last band, and I took it for granted when I shouldnt have.

Last night was a great welcome back to the world of live bands, and a really top venue/PA to top it off.

Im so used to poor venues, bad PAs, and relying on the amps/cabs to push ALL the volume, that last night I found myself very appreciative of what Newcastle can offer.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1018446' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:04 AM']Glad it worked out!

Out of interest, were the Alex Butler Band on as well?[/quote]

Yep, GREAT musicians. VERY tight bass/drums, and the bass sound, as mentioned above, was massive.

Some sort of hybrid P bass.

Do you know the bassist? Im guessing he might be on here?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1018510' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:40 AM']Yep, GREAT musicians. VERY tight bass/drums, and the bass sound, as mentioned above, was massive.

Some sort of hybrid P bass.

Do you know the bassist? Im guessing he might be on here?[/quote]
Yip, it's BC's very own all-round good guy BossHog. Great lad, great player.

I'm guessing my mate Andy was on the desk, too? He's a genius.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1018520' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:44 AM']I'm guessing my mate Andy was on the desk, too? He's a genius.[/quote]
Magee? Genius indeed. I was at Newcastle College with him, and he could have taught most of the industry-grizzled lecturers a thing or two. (Our own cd_david excepted, of course. :) )

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1018520' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:44 AM']Yip, it's BC's very own all-round good guy BossHog. Great lad, great player.

I'm guessing my mate Andy was on the desk, too? He's a genius.[/quote]

Ill PM Bosshog. That Tecamp cab...wow. HUGE cab and thunderous tone.

Sound guy: It was a tallish chap, fairly long dark hair, and all round helpful nice guy. Sound was fantastic.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1018522' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:46 AM']Magee? Genius indeed. I was at Newcastle College with him, and he could have taught most of the industry-grizzled lecturers a thing or two. (Our own cd_david excepted, of course. :) )[/quote]

He definitely knew what he was doing.

:)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1018411' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:38 AM']Made me realise exactly why I like Stingrays so much. Not only did it slice through the mix, it also provided that backing thump for the drums to work along to. Huge sound, and that distinctive tone just sounds even better in a live band.[/quote]

Don't say that there is a really tempting lovely classic in the for sale section

Glad you had a good gig, thats why you spent all the money on gear :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1019724' date='Nov 11 2010, 09:22 AM']Cheers chaps. In the end I had my USA P and I also was testing a kindly loaned J copy project bass from Conan, (much appreciated).

I didnt have my own amp or cabs, but now I wish Id at least just taken my LM3.[/quote]

You cant go wrong with a P can you. Even if its not the most ideal bass it gets the job done.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1019737' date='Nov 11 2010, 09:31 AM']You cant go wrong with a P can you. Even if its not the most ideal bass it gets the job done.[/quote]

The J copy I was kindly loaned sounded pretty good, but I still find my hands work smoother on a P neck. There is also something about that P bass tone that just 'fits'.

Then again, I was very jealous of the Stingray tone at the end, even though I could have used mine. In the band m currently in, the bass almost acts as a bass with rhythm guitar duties on top, and then some. A Stingray would have sounded great!