Why become a member? ×

My GAS pledge

pantherairsoft

I seem to of developed a compulsive attitude towards new toys… A kind of buy now and deal with it later attitude. Thankfully its not something that has got me in trouble in anyway, but I've certainly lived beyond my means this last 12 months, what with custom builds, new rig and more pedals than I know what to do with…

I have been searching for some pedal solutions for a while to round off what I'm doing, and have just settled on yet more purchases in light of that, hopefully I'll have finalised all such items by the end of the weekend… As such, from Monday, I am declaring a GAS free year. Yes, 12 whole months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the exception of replacing any damaged cables/patch leads/strings/general consumables I will not buy another bass, am, cab, pedal, pedalboard etc etc etc for 12 months… I have more than enough stuff, 2 top end amps, 3 cabs, soooo many effects and some of the most amazing basses, I just need to learn that I can't keep pleasing the credit card companies like this…

This will be hard (Kicking my compulsion, not having new toys). So I need your support…

If I try and buy anything from you in the Market place… tell me to sod off! :)

Wish me luck,

Shep

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' post='1013899' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:39 AM']Good luck with it mate

They should invent GAS-FREE patchs or something :)[/quote]

Would you put them over your eyes?

Commendable move, Shep. I try not to get into trouble with gear, but then I see stuff like your RIM build and I get all nervous.

Well my rational reasoning is that I will soon be taking reciept if two stunning custom builds... The RIM alone has generated more questions and PM's than I imagined it would... It's certainly been a head turner.

I love my amp sound.

I love my pedal setup, buy just felt it could achieve more, which I just sorted in the shape of moogy goodness.

I really have serious top end pro gear, more than many professional musicians earning a living touring the world. It's very excessive. It's ENOUGH. On that basis I'm clearly buying on impulse as I can pretty much get any sound I need from what I have! It's time to enjoy what I have, rather than hunting for the next best thing... :)

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1013910' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:00 AM']I really have serious top end pro gear, more than many professional musicians earning a living touring the world. It's very excessive. It's ENOUGH. On that basis I'm clearly buying on impulse as I can pretty much get any sound I need from what I have! It's time to enjoy what I have, rather than hunting for the next best thing... :)[/quote]

THIS MAN MUST BE STOPPED!

An attitude like this could destroy the For Sale section as we know it.

:)

Good luck, Shep. You're going to need it.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1013910' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:00 AM']....I really have serious top end pro gear, more than many professional musicians earning a living touring the world. It's very excessive. It's ENOUGH. On that basis I'm clearly buying on impulse as I can pretty much get any sound I need from what I have! It's time to enjoy what I have, rather than hunting for the next best thing....[/quote]
You've got as much gear as 3 professional players. Now's the time to start TASing, Technique Acquiring Syndrome.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1013910' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:00 AM']I can pretty much get any sound I need from what I have! It's time to enjoy what I have, rather than hunting for the next best thing... :)[/quote]

Ah Shep, im soooooo guilty of this myself. With both my basses I have pretty much everything covered that someone at my level needs. The ideal of having 2 ampeg rigs would have been laughable 3 years ago, however here I am. Im going to start enjoying my gear and start concentrating on playing rather than 'the next best thing' or 'chasing that sound' that just doesnt exist.

Well done Shep in showing the way forward. I may jump on this bandwagon. However I can never say no to a nice new pedal at the right price hahahaha

Commendable attitude Shep! Give me a bell if you need anyone to talk things out with, e.g. if you need someone to convince you you don't need something, persuade you your stuff is great, etc.

Working on technique is a great way to forget about acquiring gear. Writing stuff too.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1014403' date='Nov 6 2010, 03:54 PM']Commendable attitude Shep! Give me a bell if you need anyone to talk things out with, e.g. if you need someone to convince you you don't need something, persuade you your stuff is great, etc.

Working on technique is a great way to forget about acquiring gear. Writing stuff too.[/quote]

Cheers Mark,

I know my stuff is great and I know my technique needs work, and I'm loving writing stuff at the mo... So this should be easy! :)

Well my last weekend of blowing far too much money on gear is drawing to an end. I still really need an LS-2 so reserve the right to buy one this week I if don't hear back from potential sellers tonight (I have at least enquired about the LS-2 his weekend). Everything else I had my eye on to complete my pedal set up I have either irresponsibly purchased, or dropped the idea.

I should even have some stuff to sell to recoup some spend (My fancy light up Monkey Dream Pedalboard, Groove Regulator and maybe a few other bits too...)...

As suggested I have put this in my sig and will keep tally as the days go by!

Wish me luck...

Is the pledge to not spend any more money on gear that you are lusting after, or to not buy any more equipment?

Can you sell things and then "reinvest" that cash, because then you would have not spent any more of your own money, technically :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1015580' date='Nov 7 2010, 07:26 PM']I'm trying to not buy gear at all... Just enjoy what I have.

If I sell anything, than money will be better spent elsewhere away from bass gear. I am going to aim to no trade anything either... Live with and love what I have, or sell it and use the money wisely![/quote]

Wise decision.

You also resisted the temptation :) The force is strong with you.

Good Luck!

I feel I need to jump on this bandwagon also because I've realised that in just over 2 years of (serious) playing I've had nearly 20 basses in and out the doors. To be fair I've broken even on average on the ones I've sold on, and you could say that I've just been finding out what I like and don't like but it's probably time to calm down now that I'm clear on what I like (Gibson basses, wide necks, lots of tonal options, quirky (but not pointy) looks)

I will make a proviso that if interesting (to me) Gibson basses turn up at silly prices I'll be having them :)